The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 28, 2018, 03:19 AM   #1
chris in va

Kimber Micro 9 or Sig 938?

I like the feel of the Kimber better, but the Sig seems to have fewer problems. Thoughts?
Old March 28, 2018, 05:35 AM   #2
Vulcannut

I can’t speak on the SIG but I picked up a SS Micro 9 on Black Friday and have put about 600 rounds through it with no issue. The one thing is they like to run wet like really oiled up. It was new to me having only polymer semi autos. I see folk complaining about them not being reliable but if you treat it like a polymer I can see them having issues. As it stands mine will run anything I throw at it.

It’s a very accurate handgun for how small it is. It’s got some snap but that’s expected. The trigger after a couple of hundred rounds is really nice. It’s a very well made tight little gun. I enjoy it.

Also if you have any issues racking some guns make sure to rack it de cocked. Pulling that hammer back while racking is tough for some. My wife barely can do it but she can rack my shields and other semi autos I have.
Old March 28, 2018, 09:16 AM   #3
David R

She has a micro Carry 380 . I have the P238. We bought her the Kimber because the crimson trace laser grips. The sig feeds a little better, or is not picky about ammo. Kimber looks better.

I wanted a 9mm, so I looked at them all,. Including the new P365. I bought the Kimber because the laser grips. They are not available for the Sig P938.

Either one is great.

Probably 350 or so rounds through my Micro 9. It has broken in and no more glitches.

Last outing, zero malfunctions.

We really like it the safety can be on and rack the slide.

All 3 are accurate.

I did a trigger job on the Sig and the Micro 9. Her Micro carry was fine.

David

The SS one in 9mm. The other one is her 380.

Last edited by David R; March 28, 2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old March 28, 2018, 09:25 AM   #4
gnystrom

Although I am not a fan of small 1911 style pistols, as a Range officer nearly every every customer both men and women that comes in with a Sig 938 seems to shoot it well.
Be careful with the finish of some of these small 1911 style guns. The fancier and more decorated and slicker they get, the more difficult it can become to rack the slide.
Old March 28, 2018, 09:29 AM   #5
David R

First magazine from the new Micro 9. 7 yards.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old March 29, 2018, 07:50 AM   #6
Lexspeed

These two guns are so similar that the main difference is the name along with the related subjectivity.
Old March 29, 2018, 03:07 PM   #7
Monkey

I shot them both, one after another. The Micro 9 is slightly larger overall and the one I shot had the Crimson Trace grips. I didn't like the way it felt at all. Both my wife and I loved the Sig and found it was more accurate as well. Keep in mind, both guns were rentals.
Old March 29, 2018, 03:32 PM   #8
mk70ss

Wife loves her Micro9 and has had zero issues with it.
Old March 29, 2018, 03:53 PM   #9
Damon555

I love my Kimber 1911's......but went with the P938 when it came time to pick one of the little guys. Not sorry I did.....if the shots aren't all in one big hole at 7 yards it's me.....not the gun.
Old March 29, 2018, 06:04 PM   #10
RickB

I wanted the Kimber, though I'll admit it was based almost entirely on its more-1911 appearance than anything I'd read or heard.
A trip to the fun store revealed that none of the Kimbers in the case had ambi safeties, I'm a lefty, so after I added the cost of shipping the gun to Kimber for a fitting, I was looking at a $1000 pocket pistol.
The SIG, with the ambi and night sights, was $700 our the door.
I can't believe there's a market for the EMP or compact 1911s chambered in 9mm, with the appearance of the P938/Micro 9.
Old March 30, 2018, 08:28 PM   #11
Carl the Floor Walker

I want a Kimber K6!!
Old March 30, 2018, 08:40 PM   #12
scottycoyote

cant speak to the kimber...i looked at it but got a great deal on the sig with a laser and went that route. Sig shoots very nice for a gun so small and light.....i have a keltec pf9 thats just a little smaller and lighter and i hate shooting that thing, the sig handles way better...shoots much like a glock 26 to me
Old March 30, 2018, 09:26 PM   #13
Ibmikey

I have a Kimber Micro .380 Sig P 238 and Sig P239. All three pistols have the same characteristics, great feel—pointing, low recoil, accurate, dependable and easily concealed. The Kimber feels and looks like a baby 1911moreso than the Sigs but the Sigs have night sights and hit where you naturally point, The Sig is often priced less. I am totally at ease with any of the pistols.
Old March 30, 2018, 09:44 PM   #14
David R

Targets from Today with the Micro 9.

10 yards. Some handloads, some Remington 115, 124, and 147.

Over 100 rounds zero malfunctions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old March 31, 2018, 09:23 PM   #15
chris in va

How is the customer service with Sig vs Kimber in case something does happen?
Old April 1, 2018, 03:30 AM   #16
Ibmikey

I have carried one of my 238’s for about seveven years and the finish and night sights were certainly in “very worn” condition. The pistol was one of the first produced and had a safety recall stil effective..Sig sent a shipping label anddwo weeklater I received my pistol (at least the serial number was mine) in absolutely pristine, brand new condition even having new night sights.
That is my Sig experience. I have not had the Kimbers fail so never delt with their CS.
Old April 4, 2018, 08:25 PM   #17
emishi

Suggestion

If you do decide on a SIG, stay with the Kimber magazines as:

1.) The Sig mags are twice the price of a Kimber.

2.) The Sig mags are manufactured to tighter tolerances than the Kimber's, allowing the downward pressure of the follower (plus the curved pinkie extension) to exasperate the accidental magazine drop.

I use Kimber 7 rounders exclusively in my 938's. Prefer the looser fit and the rounded back pinkie extension.
Old April 4, 2018, 11:39 PM   #18
Ibmikey

As far as magazines I have a mixture of fourteen .380 Sig, Colt Mustang and Kimber magazines each of which is totally reliable function wise and drop free just fine. Among the 14 are several extended Sig and Kimber which are preferred for the extra gripping surface they provide. I can tell no difference in the fit and function of the magazines in my three Sigs, Mustang and Kimber micro.
I have also used Star S magazines in the pistols for additional rounds and gripping surface.
Old April 5, 2018, 04:41 PM   #19
dgludwig

Quote:
She has a micro Carry 380 . I have the P238. We bought her the Kimber because the crimson trace laser grips. The sig feeds a little better, or is not picky about ammo. Kimber looks better.
I'm not sure what this means but if the SIG "feeds a little better" and is not "picky about ammo", that's the one I'd want for a pistol intended for self-defense; no matter how pretty and accurate a less reliable pistol might be. Too, I'd prefer a pistol with a lifetime guarantee as opposed to one that has a one or even a five year warranty.
Old April 5, 2018, 05:48 PM   #20
RickB

"Feeds a little better" suggests that neither feeds especially well.
I have had no feed issues in 1200 rounds with my P938, and I would consider three or four misfeeds to be too many if I couldn't determine the specific cause; three would be a little better than four, I suppose.
Old April 5, 2018, 08:27 PM   #21
David R

The Kimber 380 will not always feed flat nose Winchester ammo, or home cast Ranch Dog 102 grain flat nose bullets. The slide may lock back before the magazine is empty. Or occasionally fail to go into battery without a push. So we don't use them for SD. Both feed hand loaded 95 grain hollow point and ball, my handloads or factory.

The Sig P238 feeds the flat nose. I don't worry if there is a bobble with practice ammo.

You folks can say "suggests" or what ever.

I had a bunch of ammo loaded for my LCP. All were too long for both pistols. Shorter Chambers. Feeding them improper ammo is not a failure.

My Micro 9 has 700 rounds, no problems in the last 200. It's sighted for 25 yards and shoots what ever I feed it. Very accurate. It did have a few fail to battery at first. A push on the slide took care of it. I had to drift the rear sight.

I only shoot handloads. I have a few boxes of factory HP for carry. Never a problem with those.

David

Last edited by David R; April 5, 2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old April 18, 2018, 09:51 AM   #22
gunhappy

My Micro 9 had issues when I got it. A trip back to Kimberly on their dime solved the problems. I carry it frequently
Old April 18, 2018, 10:06 AM   #23
David R

Micro 9 has hit the 1,000 round mark, No failures since 500, not even ammo related.

Both are a great I don't think you can go wrong. Sig Lifetime warranty, Kimber 1 year and states in the owners manual not to disassemble beyond field striip or voids warranty.

I would have bought the sig if Laser grips were available.

Love the Micro 9, taking it out today with the Crony to check more hand loads.
David
Old April 18, 2018, 05:03 PM   #24
David R

This is why I think the Sig P238 feeds better than the Kimber micro carry 380. Look at the angle of the barrel.

Kimber on top.

A closer look
Sig has black barrel.
Old April 18, 2018, 05:05 PM   #25
David R

This is the ammo the Kimber will not feed.

This is the Micro 9.
Barrel is tipped up much like the Sig.

Another 100 trouble free rounds today, 115, 124, 147 coated lead, and 124, and 147 HP.

Here are a few 7 yard groups.10 shots, sight was held at 6 o'clock like drawn in the pic.

And a 5 shot group shot with 147 Gold dot @ 919 fps, SD 21

Last edited by David R; April 18, 2018 at 05:13 PM.