The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 28, 2018, 03:53 PM   #26
rpenmanparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
I've heard of ranges prohibiting steel core ammo, but I don't think I've ever heard of one prohibiting steel or aluminum cased ammo.
No, in Houston essentially all the indoor ranges forbid steel and aluminum cased ammo. I can't say much about the outdoor ranges. I'm pretty sure they want to maximize the amount of brass they collect and minimize their labor separating it from steel and aluminum. If it were only steel as the contaminant, then a magnetic separator would do the trick. With aluminum also, things are a little stickier.
Old March 28, 2018, 07:39 PM   #27
Mackie244Bud

KLCane said,
Quote:
I usually go to Gun World over in Deerfield Beach
I was on Powerline heading South yesterday and I drove by Gun World..
I made a quick U turn and stopped in.
Small place and in the back guys were sitting on a couch talking and looking through a big window into the range.
I asked if they had a P365 and they said No but that they are asked that all the time.
I live South of Gun World close to Nexus, (where I bought my P320 Compact RX) Shoot Straight and Weston Arms off SR 84.

Markham Park is a outdoor range where BSO and most of the local LE go.
http://www.broward.org/Parks/Markham...angeHours.aspx

Next Southern Outdoor range is Trail Glades Range in Miami
http://www.trailgladesrange.com/about/

Palm Beach County Shooting Sports Park
Near the entrance of JW Corbett Wildlife Management Area
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/pa...213-story.html
This IS the latest and Greatest Outdoor Range that will be located in West Palm Beach.
It should be really nice!
Here is their Website:
http://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-educ...es/palm-beach/

Small world.

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; March 28, 2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old March 31, 2018, 06:13 AM   #28
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, then I stand corrected, and I thank you both. All I can guess is that the ranges near you folks want to restrict firing to brass for resale purposes, or something along those lines. Around here, nobody has ever asked what I'm shooting.
Old March 31, 2018, 07:43 AM   #29
Kvon2

Blazer brass, federal aluminum, and Remington green box (a little more expensive but still reasonable) have all worked great for me.
Old March 31, 2018, 08:09 AM   #30
OhioGuy

I've been told by several range owners that steel core ammo reduces the lifespan of their backstops, and they need to recycle (or whatever the right term is) the material more frequently.

I have heard of ranges prohibiting steel CASED ammo but I don't know the reason...perhaps they associate steel cases with steel core bullets and figure the people buying the ammo don't know the difference, so they just ban all of it.

If your preferred range has no rule against it, it's usually the cheapest thing going.

I've run Winchester's steel cased ammo...probably 300 rounds through my CZ and 100 through my Walther. I had 4 or 5 FTE malfunctions in the Walther, the only such malfunctions I've ever had in nearly 1000 rounds. I attribute it to the steel cases. The delta between steel and aluminum in price is so slight that I usually just run aluminum if I'm not buying bulk.

I've run at least 1000 rounds over the last 2 years of Aluminum in 4 different guns and have never had a single issue. Walmart near me is selling boxes of 100 rounds of Federal Aluminum for about $17.50. By the time you factor in shipping from most online retailers, that's down in the range (or lower) of factory reloads.
Old March 31, 2018, 08:11 AM   #31
OhioGuy

I often get bulk ammo through Outdoor Limited. Their shipping is fast and not too expensive, and their service is good. They nearly always have a sale on something.

If you can get it, try out the remanufactured "Blue Coat" ammo from a brand called Minuteman Munitions. It worked out to around 16 cents/round after shipping when I ordered 2K rounds. I'm about 3/4 through without a single issue in any gun I've used. It uses polymer coated blue bullets.
Old April 1, 2018, 11:40 PM   #32
mr bolo

Winchester 200 round range / value pack 115gr fmj brass cased $37 at WALMART

FEDERAL 100 round value pack 115gr fmj brass cased $18.96 a box

I prefer brass cased, but I sometimes buy aluminum

no use to shoot the steel cased ammo unless you want to test your gun to see how well it shoots steel cased, I only used a hundred rds to test function, my G19 functioned with anything I tried

If your going to try steel cased buy some Winchester Forged 9mm ammo for testing

the bullets are copper jacketed
Old April 2, 2018, 05:16 AM   #33
Prndll

"Best" is what works reliably, accurately, and consistent in your firearm. Finding that out will require you to spend time and a little money on various ammo.

With that said, I recommend looking at Freedom Munitions
https://www.freedommunitions.com/
Old April 2, 2018, 01:43 PM   #34
glenspen

Agreed that Freedom is great value and shoots well in all my guns