The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 22, 2018, 08:23 AM   #26
peterg7

Let's talk pocket pistols

IMHO the only true pocket gun is an LCP, or that size.

Don’t “like or trust” the .380acp? get over it. there’s no 9mm LCP size and weight so there’s no 9mm pocket gun.

Just because you can jam a gun in the pocket don’t make it a pocket gun.

The chart at mouse guns shows the true stats about size and weight.

FWIW I’ve been Carrying my LCP in my front pocket since 2010, every day in shorts, sweats, jeans it doesn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 22, 2018, 08:27 AM   #27
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
I have been considering replacing my P938 which has filled the role of my pocket pistol in the past. When I carry on a belt I have gotten to the habit of carrying a G19 and am concerned about the difference in battery of arms. This will be worn when I don't feel like dressing around the G19 or its simply not reasonable to do so. . . . .

The Smith and Wesson Shield - especially if the rebates and cheap deals come back on them.

The Glock 43 - seems simple enough . . . .

I have also considered the Ruger LCR. Yes I know this can be had in 9MM but it is likely if I chose this it would be in .327. . . .

Thoughts?
I've edited for brevity (which may seem laughable coming from a lawyer), and I'll skip over the guns with which I have no experience. And of course, my usual caveat that free advice is worth exactly what you've paid me for it . . . .

I have 3 carry guns: Small, Medium, and Large. I also like to carry as much gun as I comfortably can. My large carry gun is my G19, but like you, it's just a bit much for carry sometimes.

My medium is a Shield in 9mm. When I was in the process of choosing a new medium gun, my three contenders were the XDS, Shield and G43. I shot all of them, not exactly side-by-side, but in pretty close time proximity to one another. I liked the Shield the best and when you threw in the incentives (for me it was a mag charger, 2 mags, and 2 boxes of ammo), the Shield was the clear winner. I haven't regretted it one bit. I carry in either a Stealthgear Revolution or a DeSantis Speed Scabbard, with 2 mags on the weak side.

If even the Shield is too much, or if I'm in a hurry to just stuff something in my pocket, I have an LCR. Technically, a KLCR, I guess. Chambered in .357, but I carry it with .38s. I don't think there was a .327 available back when I got mine. The trigger is long, but smooth. With .357s: (a) recoil is a bit on the punishing side; and (2) my groups are enormous. With .38s: (a) it's a pussycat; and (b) my groups are much more satisfactory.

I have to admit that several members (either here or THR, I forget) told me that I would have been better off with a .327. I don't really know much about the round, and I'm not going to trade mine in, but I mention that to say that members who may very well know more about ballistics and chamberings than I have said that .327 is a good choice.
Old March 22, 2018, 08:46 AM   #28
adamBomb

Quote:
I have 3 carry guns: Small, Medium, and Large. I also like to carry as much gun as I comfortably can.
Definitely agree with this. They all have their place. I realized once I finally got a pocket gun that I started carrying it 99% of the time though; guess size was really the biggest factor for me. I've got the MP bodyguard. Love that little gun.

To the OP - Dang those are some big pocket pistols. Not sure I would consider any of them pocket guns unless we are talking really large pockets. When someone says pocket pistol they are usually talking about the lcp, bodyguard, p3at, etc.

Last edited by adamBomb; March 22, 2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old March 22, 2018, 12:47 PM   #29
SaxonPig

My EDC. Taurus 738. Anything bigger is too big for comfort.

Old March 22, 2018, 03:15 PM   #30
Lohman446

Quote:
Dang those are some big pocket pistols. Not sure I would consider any of them pocket guns unless we are talking really large pockets
I've been trying to figure out how this is. Some of my jean pockets are too small but most are fairly big pockets. I think that I buy jeans to fit my calves and my upper legs are not nearly as developed resulting in them fitting looser at the pockets.
Old March 22, 2018, 04:52 PM   #31
adamBomb

Quote:
I've been trying to figure out how this is. Some of my jean pockets are too small but most are fairly big pockets. I think that I buy jeans to fit my calves and my upper legs are not nearly as developed resulting in them fitting looser at the pockets.
Nice! I think my bodyguard is the biggest I can comfortably fit in my jeans pockets. It looks like a wallet in the holster and isn't any heavier than one.
Old March 22, 2018, 07:33 PM   #32
moosemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg7 View Post
IMHO the only true pocket gun is an LCP, or that size.

Don’t “like or trust” the .380acp? get over it. there’s no 9mm LCP size and weight so there’s no 9mm pocket gun.

Just because you can jam a gun in the pocket don’t make it a pocket gun.

The chart at mouse guns shows the true stats about size and weight.

FWIW I’ve been Carrying my LCP in my front pocket since 2010, every day in shorts, sweats, jeans it doesn’t matter.

Agreed
Old March 22, 2018, 07:35 PM   #33
moosemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonPig View Post
My EDC. Taurus 738. Anything bigger is too big for comfort.

Same as my EDC.
Old March 25, 2018, 07:18 AM   #34
Carl the Floor Walker

Goes with me every day. Can even wear in my watch pocket of my jeans.
This pic is with a fully loaded magazine.

Old March 25, 2018, 08:29 AM   #35
dontcatchmany

I very comfortably carry a Shield 40 (also have a 9mm barrel and mags for it). Once I replaced the trigger with an Apex kit, it has become my favorite small pistol. It replaced a Sig P938 that lost my trust.

At times I pocket carry a Glock 27 and it does well but I prefer the Shield.
Old March 25, 2018, 08:50 AM   #36
UncleEd

I bet my pocket is bigger than your pocket.
Old March 25, 2018, 12:30 PM   #37
CDW4ME

Depends on pocket, I don't wear jeans outside the house anymore.

I carry a Glock 43 every day in Wrangler cargo, or Cabelas hiker front pocket.
Weak hand pocket, Glock 43 is a 2nd option to 1911 I'm concealing IWB.
Untucked shirt everywhere, my preference.
Old March 25, 2018, 01:20 PM   #38
KLCane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post
I very comfortably carry a Shield 40 (also have a 9mm barrel and mags for it). Once I replaced the trigger with an Apex kit, it has become my favorite small pistol. It replaced a Sig P938 that lost my trust.

At times I pocket carry a Glock 27 and it does well but I prefer the Shield.
Why did the Sig lose your trust?
Old March 25, 2018, 08:07 PM   #39
epl1007

Glock 42 is a sweet shooter. I know it’s a little big but the lcp 2 and the sig were too small for my hands and that’s why I went with the Glock. I’ll only be pocket carrying when I’m running outside
Old March 26, 2018, 06:39 AM   #40
dontcatchmany

KLCane,

When I took it out to my back yard range and mid shot the magazines would fall out. Time after time after time.

When I would fire and the gun would go from fire to safe.

Did this without fail.

Sig fixed the magazine drop but not the fire to safe.

Had a local gunsmith "fix it".

I just could not trust my life with it any more on a daily basis. A gun like a Sig P938 should never fail. I did not need a safe queen. All of my handguns have a purpose.
Old March 26, 2018, 07:56 AM   #41
Ricklin

Small and big

The LCP is a revelation for me. My "big gun" is a gen 3 G19. Spats hit the nail on the head. The G19 is amazing when we consider power and capacity vs. size. That said, too darn THICK, esp. the grip.

I did try a Keltec P11 for a short time. I bought a jam o matic P11. A Keltec fluff and buff resolved the reliability issues, but truth be told it did not carry much better than the G19.

Am taking the LCP to the range today, and am looking forward to it. Don't know what took me so long to try an LCP.
Wait, I do know! I wanted to stay with 9mm.

The LCP carries really really well. I trial carried it over the weekend, I shall go make some noise today.
Old March 26, 2018, 07:13 PM   #42
Armybrat

I've tried a variety of pocket pistols - The AMT .380 Backup, Kahr PM9, North American Guardian .32, Keltec P32 & P3AT, Kahr CT380, Remington RM380, & the LCP.

Got rid of the AMT, the NA, and the Keltecs. The PM9 was just a tad too big for my pockets, so gave that one to my son. The Remington is nice & all metal, but still a bit large for the pocket. Will keep it though.

The CT380 is my runner-up and gets carried about 20% of the time. My 10 year old LCP of course is the all around winner for EDC in the pocket. Bought this new Gen 2 a year ago to replace it (better trigger & sights), but somehow it hasn't yet been fired.

Old March 28, 2018, 12:12 PM   #43
KLCane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post
KLCane,

When I took it out to my back yard range and mid shot the magazines would fall out. Time after time after time.

When I would fire and the gun would go from fire to safe.

Did this without fail.

Sig fixed the magazine drop but not the fire to safe.

Had a local gunsmith "fix it".

I just could not trust my life with it any more on a daily basis. A gun like a Sig P938 should never fail. I did not need a safe queen. All of my handguns have a purpose.
Interesting. I have only put a few hundred rounds through mine and have not had any issues yet. Hopefully, I won't have any problems.
Old March 28, 2018, 03:51 PM   #44
SPEMack618

I sold enough Rugers to get a free LCP through their 4R program.

First pocket gun I've ever owned. Shoot it once a week and then clean it, keep out the dog hair and pocket lint.

At seven yards, it works just fine. Never had a hiccup when shooting either Federal 95 grn FMJ or Sig 100 grn FMJ.
Old March 28, 2018, 08:53 PM   #45
youngridge

I carry a Glock 26 in the winter and Glock 43 in the summer IWB when not at work.

When at work I carry a Bodyguard 380 or my 638. Both sound guns. I personally don’t think you can classify the 43 as a pocket gun.

I had a sig 938 but had a lot of ammo feeding problems....it was a beaut of a gun, great piece of art...I just couldn’t get it to work for me and I wasn’t fond of the micro 1911 style. I did enjoy the trigger. The triggers on my BG, 638 and LCP are bearcats and they take a lot to get used to and a lot of practice to be accurate with. I carry my BG in a talon back pocket holster, looks just like a wallet, slightly smaller than the safari land holster. Would recommend the set up to anyone that doesn’t mind practicing a lot with a 380 and doesn’t get shy of the smaller caliber. Truly is a winner for real conceal ability.

I should add that at work I am in a professional setting. Khakis, button ups, the works....it’s horrible, so keeping it fully concealed at all times is very important to me.

Old March 29, 2018, 02:23 AM   #46
Carl the Floor Walker

My niche as a shooter has been small guns. The Pico, the LCR9mm and now the nano which replaced my LC9S, are my three main contenders. I love the way they carry, the reliability and the fast shooting they offer.

This is a pic for illustration only. Not my LCP. I have owned 4 but moved on.
The Nano is behind it. Great shooter, totally reliable, great trigger for CCW,snag free for CCW and a 9mm.

Old March 29, 2018, 03:36 AM   #47
Cosmodragoon

I'd also recommend the LCR. The shape allows it to fit better in a front pants pocket than some of the larger semi-autos on the list. It has a good trigger and very comfortable grips. With the right ammo, it's actually fun and relatively easy to shoot for a pocket gun.

That said, .357 magnum is going to be brutal out of any gun in this size or weight class. Heavy loads in .327 Federal are only a little better. Where this gun shines in my experience is with a lighter .327 load. The 85-grain Hydra-Shoks only feel like mid-weight .38 +p but getting upwards of 1250 fps from the short-barreled LCR, they're about the best bang for your comfort in a pocket gun. Of course, having six shots and the reliability of a revolver doesn't hurt either.
Old March 29, 2018, 08:26 AM   #48
Skans

Boberg XR9-S. Now made by Bond Arms.
Old March 29, 2018, 07:24 PM   #49
Robert J McElwain

If you can find a Sig P 232, it's a great pocket pistol. I have no idea why they stopped making it.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson
Old March 29, 2018, 08:13 PM   #50
pete2

I have an LC9 and a 642. Both will fit in my pocket BUT I can't draw the LC9, I can draw the 642. I have not tried the LCP. I don't like the LC9 as a belt gun. The 642 even works in a Hume IWB holster, LC9 not so much. Too bad, I shoot the LC9 a little better than the 642. In a regular belt holster I can conceal a 686 4" revolver, don't like the weight. Have a couple Lightweight Commanders but haven't carried them yet.