The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2018, 06:55 PM   #1
R I Swampyankee

Ithica 37

Hello, I have a Ithica 37 12 ga, mfg in 1941. It has a plain barrel, with an adj.choke on it. I was wondering if anyone has ever had Ithica re-do the action and install one of the new interchangeable barrels. Its about 300 bucks including a re blue of the the action. I was going to just touch up some bluing on it and use it, but I thought a new barrel might be the way to go. They sure don't make a gun like this anymore.
Old January 30, 2018, 07:59 PM   #2
HiBC

I'd agree they are a fine shotgun.

I COULD try to tell you there was a serial number cutoff for interchangeable barrels,and ,I'm thinking that's probably true as far as buying used barrels.

But since you are talking about sending it to Ithaca...I bet their customer service folks have a whole lot better idea of what they will take on than I do.

If its working...and if you have $300 burning a hole in your pocket,I suggest you start looking for a more modern Ithaca,that accepts interchangeable barrels. Having 2 Ithacas is not a bad thing.
Old January 30, 2018, 08:05 PM   #3
R I Swampyankee

This is a 1941 vintage. The barrel is fitted to the receiver. The price on a new 37 is starting at around $800.00. I figure a new barrel and factory re- done receiver would look like a new one anyway.
Old January 30, 2018, 08:11 PM   #4
stuckinthe60s

just make sure they rebuild the entire gun, or youll have a worn out good looking gun with a new bbl on it.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old January 30, 2018, 08:16 PM   #5
HiBC

Its yours,and you do what makes you happy. I was just suggesting contacting Ithaca customer service to see if they will do the job.
Most all of us,including me,don't know for sure what Ithaca will rework.

I was thinking of the 1960s and 1970s Ithacas that are out there used,not a new one. As I said,your shotgun,your money. Enjoy!
Old January 30, 2018, 11:08 PM   #6
R I Swampyankee

Yes, google their web site. The will install new barrels on old receivers, re blue, do stock work etc. They have a list on the site of the work they do. Some of the custom stocks are impressive.
Old February 8, 2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Janders

I saw this thread and had to comment. My Dad recently passed away. In his safe I found an Ithica Model 37. It has never been fired. I remember correctly he purchased this in the 1970's. Perfect condition. I have been thinking about trying out the trap range at my club on Saturdays but I think I would rather have a side by side or an O/U.
Just saying....
Old February 8, 2018, 06:29 PM   #8
jaguarxk120

A pre war Ithaca is a very nice gun. They handle and balance so very well.
As far as barrels go the cutoff serial number is 855000, barrel before that number are fitted to the receiver and after that number barrels are interchangeable.

You can find a older barrel and have Diamond Gun Smithing fit it to your receiver.
By the way Ithaca's don't wear out they just get smoother in operation.
Fitting a new barrel to a older receiver is very costly, best to find a barrel.