The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 11, 2010, 02:22 AM   #26
bamaranger

not for me

Quite a few of our young, high speed, low drag guys went w/ 14.5 bbl, the argument being that they stowed and deployed easier from a vehicle. That certainly is true. The difference in the convenience of an 18" gun v. a 20" is hard to believe. The 14.5's are handy beyond belief.

But......about 15 yrs ago, we went to mag extensions to gain capacity on 18" and 20" guns. That logic, I suppose, is out the window now, and we're back to 4+1, or I suppose, a one shot extension makes it 5+1, on these 14.5 stubbies.

And that's if you have the time or presence of mind to top it off going into the fight.

Me.....I want more than 4-5 rds in a gun gun I'm carrying to a fight if I can possibly help it. Especially if its the ONLY gun on me. An 18" gun w/ ext gives you 6+1, maybe 7+1 depending on the spring and follower. A 20" w/ ext is 7+1 for sure, maybe 8+1. That is double the capacity of a 4 rd mag.

Pistol grips only on shotguns are useful to just beyond bayonet range. Now........a step in the right direction for patrol, is a quality folding stock, on an 18" gun w/ mag extension. Storage problem in veh is solved. Deploy the gun, deploy the stock. I liked the Rem factory steel top folder.

I find it interesting that Canada, w/ all its anti gun regs, allows its citizens the 14.5 bbl, regulated here in the states since what ?....... the 1930's?
Old August 11, 2010, 08:15 AM   #27
PJR

Quote:
I find it interesting that Canada, w/ all its anti gun regs, allows its citizens the 14.5 bbl,
They are permitted only under specific circumstances. The barrel must be factory (not cut), not on a semi and the gun's OAL must be at least 660mm. If so then it's treated the same as any other shotgun.

I have a Remington 14" barrel for my 870. It's definitely handier if packing around in the bush or in confined spaces and far better than a pistol grip only stock. Mine gets used very rarely due to increased muzzle blast and flash. The 20" barrel is much better for low light applications.

Incidentally Remington stopped shipping NFA barrels and guns to Canada a few years ago unless they were for agency use. In their place the Chinese 870 clones with 14, 12.5 and even 8.5" barrels have filled the gap among non-LEO shooters.
Old August 13, 2010, 08:15 PM   #28
StuntManMike

I run a 18.5" and a +2 on my 870s. However, if I lived where it was legal I would trade that for a 14" and a +1 without a second thought for the manueverabilty advantage. The loss of one round would totally be worth it.
Old August 14, 2010, 04:43 AM   #29
bamaranger

depends

PJR interesting, thanks.

Stuntman, a valid point I suppose, provided the +1 ext is used. Otherwise, 2 rds less is to much to suit me. I suppose the doubles of years ago make a valid counter argument as well.
Old August 14, 2010, 07:30 PM   #30
highvel

So, what happens when you pass away, can you leave them to family and they possess those types of weapons?

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush