The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2020, 09:07 PM   #1
dvdcrr

Help picking a couple powders for these chamberings

I am thinking about picking up a couple 8# bottles (one type or 2 types) of powder to best load for the following:
243 Win 70-100 gr
6mm Rem 87-100 gr
25-06 117 gr
257 Weatherby 117 gr.
270 Win 130 gr
270 WSM. 130-150 gr.
Which powder or two powders would you pick to suit all of these?
Thanks
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old January 3, 2020, 09:40 PM   #2
BBarn

IMR4831 and another one a bit slower would probably take care of everything but the light bullets in the 243. Or perhaps IMR4831 and something a bit faster to take care of them all. With two powders you probably won't be able to get maximum possible velocities with all those bullet weights in every caliber if that's important in every case.
Old January 3, 2020, 09:41 PM   #3
Marco Califo

You need to know what bullet weights you will use in each. Then Look at the load data published by powder and bullet makers. Look at some burn rate charts, too.
8 lbs is a lot of powder, and the price break is not much. I actually recommend buying 4 or 6 different 1 lb. canisters after deciding which ones have the data you want to load. Then see which work good in your rifles.
I will say I think you will find the usual medium rifle powders will do what you want.
My first 8 lb purchase was A-2460 which worked well from 223 to 308. There are many faster and slower in that general burn rate zone. TAC, Varget, and H-335, H-CFE-223 are a couple. I tend to identify powders I want to try based on what loads I want to shoot.
Old January 3, 2020, 10:33 PM   #4
dvdcrr

imr4831 was on my short list as well. I think that one is a lock. Maybe then some 4350. For a slower powder, maybe some RL22
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old January 4, 2020, 12:55 AM   #5
Scorch

You can cover all of those with Reloader 19 and Reloader 22. And the added benefit is they meter easier than any of the IMR powders.
Old January 4, 2020, 02:39 AM   #6
std7mag

Depends on what your barrel likes for the above mentioned bullets.
My findings thus far are as such.

243 Win- 70-90 is probably something in the H414, 4350, RL17 range. Bullets 100gr + my pick is RL26 all the way!
6mm Rem- again, 70-90gr is something in the H414, 4350, RL17 range. 90-100gr would be Alliant PP4000, or RL23.
25-06 would be PP4000, same with 270 Win, and 280 Rem.
257 Weatherby- Alliant RL23 or RL26 for speed and accuracy.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 4, 2020, 03:13 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
8 lbs is a lot of powder,
For the cartridges the OP listed, 8lbs of powder is about 1,000rnds. A hundred or so more in the smaller cases, and a hundred or so less for the bigger ones.

Might I suggest that, before buying in bulk, you buy a number of 1lb cans of different powders and test them in all your rifles. Then chose the two that work best in the most rifles and buy those in bulk,

Any combination is possible and most of the time you will get decent performance in all of them from about everything, but some powder are going to be better in some rifles than others, and some are going to be worse.

it is, for example not impossible you could get a powder that shoots great in one rifle, only does "meh" average in two others and shoots like crap in the remaining 3. Do you really want to buy 8lbs of that??? OR 8lbs of anything before you know how well it will perform, overall??

All the cases listed are close to or are "overbore" meaning a large powder capacity compared to bore size, so you will get best velocity results with powders that are at the slower end of the burning range. Medium to slow should do well. Accuracy is going to depend on your individual rifles and loads.
Old January 4, 2020, 05:20 AM   #8
Ben Dover

W-W 760 and H380

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old January 4, 2020, 07:39 AM   #9
cptjack

h4831. imr4350
Old January 4, 2020, 10:31 PM   #10
Colorado Redneck

What 44Amp said. Going all in on unknown components may result in several pounds of unused powder you really have no use for. Try several powders and bullets combinations, then decide based on the results. I speak from experience....
Old January 5, 2020, 01:49 AM   #11
Pathfinder45

There are at least several powders that could work well in any of those calibers, but each rifle, even if in the same caliber, will have preferences. To gamble on 8-16 pounds of powder in that many calibers means that you will likely get lucky on some of them, and also be disappointed when some of the likeliest ones don't work out well. But I like your idea anyway.
Therefore, put together a list of the likeliest 8 or more powders, and go look for a killer deal on one or two of them at a gun-show.
4350, any version.
IMR-4831
Norma MRP
Reloder 22
H-4831
Oh, Heck, there are so many good choices...........
Old January 5, 2020, 02:42 AM   #12
2ndtimer

Old school: IMR or H-4350 would work in all of them.

My choice would be Reloder 17 or Power Pro 4000-MR and Reloder 26 for the magnums, if you want maximum velocity.
Old January 5, 2020, 02:43 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Here's the thing, look at the data in several loading manuals. Everything listed WORKS. Some, clearly work better than others, in the test guns. This does NOT mean they will do the same in YOUR guns. They might, they might do something differently.

If the cost of a couple 8lb kegs of powder isn't a significant chunk of change for you do what you want.

I bought a 3/4 full 25lb keg of Red Dot once, because, well, it was a "deal", and you can use it in pistols...and you can. But here I am decades later with about half that keg still on the shelf. (because I learned other powders were better for what I wanted)
Old January 5, 2020, 08:13 AM   #14
ReloadKy

IMR 4831
Old January 5, 2020, 09:40 PM   #15
gw44

What Scorch said, will do it all !!!
Old January 6, 2020, 01:26 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

"...8lbs of powder is about 1,000rnds..." Depending on the cartridge and load, but do not buy anything but primers in bulk until you have worked up the load.
"...but each rifle..." Yep. You have to pick a powder and bullet weight then work up a load for each rifle. You can have identical consecutively numbered rifles in the same chambering and they'll both shoot the same ammo differently. Chambers will be slightly different. It's literally about tool wear during manufacturing.
Only load .243 out of those and it's been IMR4350 with 90 and 105 grain bullets for eons. The 'IMR' and 'H' are close but are not the same thing. The 'H' gives a whole 89 FPS more velocity with Max loads. You still have to work up the load with each powder.
However, I've found that staring with the powder given with the 'accuracy load' if your manual has that, makes the choice of powder faster.
Old January 8, 2020, 10:42 PM   #17
totaldla

H4350 would be my choice.
Old January 9, 2020, 04:21 PM   #18
rsnell

The Lyman and Nosler manuals list the most accurate powder they found to be most accurate for the bullet weight. Use the primer they suggest and start with the recommended starting load. I have had good luck using the Lyman manual.
Old January 9, 2020, 07:26 PM   #19
FITASC

4831, 760, 4350 will do the job
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 19, 2020, 11:57 PM   #20
kilotanker22

Two powders for me. H-1000 for the 270 wsm and the 257 Weatherby. H-4350 for the rest of them. That is if I had to choose only two.

IMR 4831 would be my third choice or Reloder 26
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old January 20, 2020, 03:01 AM   #21
HiBC

All of them will generally be in the same burn rate range.

But no one or even two powders will be the perfect optimum to cover all of them.

There are new gen powders I have not tried.

These are all fairly slow, but on the faster end of slow I'd look at IMR 4350,H4350,And RE-19. Possibly you would come up with a use for something a bit quicker,,but one of those would handle that general burn rate.

Then a bit slower I'd want H-4831,or RE-22,

I use some H-1000 in 7mm Rem Mag.

I have found every one of those powders "best" for something.

I'd agree,buy some one lb cans to make your choices before you commit to 8 lb jugs.

They are all good,versatile powders.

You might have to pick a couple of rifles to dial in. Find the sweet spot for them .

Of these powders,one of the quicker ones and one of the slower ones will load everything.

Maybe RE-19 and RE-22,maybe IMR4350 and H4831SC

They are all good Only one way to see what works.Have fun doing it!

The 75-87 gr bullets might want something a little quicker,but you can feed them with one lb cans

Last edited by HiBC; January 20, 2020 at 03:08 AM.
Old January 20, 2020, 08:10 AM   #22
stagpanther

I usually "fall in love" with a particular powder and load for MY rifle in a 1 lb canister before I go to the alter and marry an 8 lb'r.
Old January 20, 2020, 08:12 AM   #23
Unclenick
Staff

Look through Hodgdon's load data for all your bullet weights. Look at the pressures given for the maximum loads. The ones with the highest maximum load pressures are the ones that produced the least pressure variation from shot-to-shot during Hodgdon's testing. If you are choosing among several powders, that would be a plus factor for general performance consistency, assuming you can find a sweet spot load for your rifles with that powder and the bullet of interest.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 20, 2020, 09:48 AM   #24
jmr40

Generally speaking I don't advise trying to make 1-2 powders work with multiple cartridges. You usually end up with less than optimum performance with all of them.

But in this case all of them are so close that it might be possible.

Winston Churchill
Old January 22, 2020, 04:57 AM   #25
Mike / Tx

I went through a similar thing quite a few years ago with a similar list of calibers.

One thing I went with was H4895 simply because of the vast load ranges it has. Not only did it have standard data for all of my rifles, it could also be reduced which made it more useful. I did go a step further and get H4350 and H4831sc as well.

That said, like what has already been posted, even with these I still have small bottles for a couple of different loads simply because the initial 3 aren't always the best suited for everything. Just because there is data for a 150gr bullet in a 7 mag doesn't mean that my or your rifle will shoot it well. Granted mine will group around 3-4" with the slower of the three and it will do around an inch with the 4895 but at around 2400fps. Just not what your looking for out of a Sendero set up for 3-600yd shots. Dump in a copious amount of RL19 though and its game on.