The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 11, 2019, 02:04 PM   #26
onlinebiker

DRT indeed. The DNR just started allowing the use of straight wall cartridges in rifles in this part of the state.

The .450 Bushmaster is a hot seller.

I have taken 9 deer so far with it and my neighbor and my SO each took one with my rifle. It was my SO's first deer - and she took the top of the heart off the button buck she shot at 120 yards.

While the industry comes out with new cartridges all the time - reinventing the wheel - this time they got it right.

It's an ideal deer cartridge.
Old December 11, 2019, 02:11 PM   #27
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
DRT indeed. The DNR just started allowing the use of straight wall cartridges in rifles in this part of the state.

I have taken 9 deer so far with it and my neighbor and my SO each took one with my rifle. It was my SO's first deer - and she took the top of the heart off the button buck she shot at 120 yards.

While the industry comes out with new cartridges all the time - reinventing the wheel - this time they got it right.

What amazes me is the accuracy of the cartridge. 250 grain rubber tip muzzle loader bullet shooting 1/2 minute groups at 200 yds in a thin barrel A.R.
Old December 11, 2019, 10:52 PM   #28
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
So you'd plaster the front end of the backstrap to save some rib meat? M'kay
U bet on a 200 lb plus deer there's littl doubt I will sacrifice a couple chops so to drop on the spot. {Beat's the he# out of dragging a heavy weight thru the bush even 50 ft to a opening}
I can make easy head shots as well as anyone else but a dandy spine shot is defiantly a challenge__ y'll don't have the willingness to try.

As far as meat lose? Not much. Blood shot meat cleaned up and dipped in a salt bath for a couple days with a heart both make a wonderful fried snack while watching TV along with a Miller Light. ____Oh_ definitely a hunters de~lite!
Old December 14, 2019, 06:59 AM   #29
musicmatty

Neck and head shots are my first preference especially with a scope. Thirty years of practicing this has always proved to be an instantaneous drop. I never shoot deer outside of 110 yards even with a scope..as my scope is only sighted in for 100yds.

Know your limitations. If you can’t shoot a tight group beyond a specified distance, then don’t try for this type of shot beyond that distance. Every hunter should Practice Practice Practice before taking to the field each year.
Old December 15, 2019, 03:54 AM   #30
onlinebiker

Indeed. If you are not sure of your limits - mark them.

My SO and my sister both are hunting for the first time. The stand they are hunting frim is 25 feet up - and makes judging range challenging for beginners.

Solution - sticks with a white duct tape flag - parked in a 100 yard arc from.the blind. Quick easy and sure.

The SO got her first kill. My sister still needs to get one.
Old December 15, 2019, 04:02 PM   #31
Wyosmith

SO? What is that?
Old December 15, 2019, 04:16 PM   #32
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyosmith View Post
SO? What is that?
Wondering the same thing.
Significant other?
Old December 15, 2019, 04:18 PM   #33
NHSHOOTER

I think that is a good guess reynolds
Old December 15, 2019, 04:39 PM   #34
onlinebiker

Yup.. At my age "girlfriend" sounds creepy and "ol lady" really tees her off...

Old December 15, 2019, 10:31 PM   #35
bamaranger

two

I'm not a fan of the neck shot, and absolutely cannot endorse a head shot on deer. To me, head shot deer with its eyes bugged out and antlers askew, is repulsive, not amusing, and makes for poor pictures as well. A deer with its jaw blown off, but still up and running is more of the same. More importantly, the head and neck are more demanding targets, smaller, and more articulated usually than the larger, more fixed, forgiving heart/lung. I've only taken two neck shots, one because I was a kid and had never tried it, the other, as a grown man and the only shot I had. Both were in the 50 yd range from supported field rests, neither very difficult. But choosing the neck, when the larger, heart/lung is an option, has never made any sense to me.

For quite a few years I was in a hunt club/lease that had a number of shooting houses, food plots and ROW's, all bordered with very thick pine plantations. Some of our members were neck/head shooters on the premise that the deer would drop right there and they would not have to track nor recover the animal, no matter how short a track, from the thick stuff. Every year we would engage in a tracking session or two for a neck or head shot deer that dropped, but got up and ran off. There was one particular stand that was notorious for losing deer, we joked about it being jinxed. Truth was, it was downhill shooting, and I suspect a lot of guys shot high, just clipping the top of the neck vertebrae spines. I don't remember recovering any of these animals, but that was 20 yrs or so ago. Of course, we lost other deer as well to poor shooting as well, but the drop and get up sort sold be against neck and head shots. I suspect that a bullet could pass through the esophagus or trachea and not catch spine nor blood vessels and lead to a lost animal as well.
Old December 17, 2019, 10:00 AM   #36
onlinebiker

This is why when hunting from an elevated stand - you check your weapon's sight picture at expected ranges and not simply rely on your rifle range testing and guesswork.
Old December 17, 2019, 03:14 PM   #37
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
A neck shot is not a reliable, humane, one shot kill.
IMHO, people should not make "neck" shots or "head" shots in the sense that the description is to vague or encompassing to focus on what the bullet needs to be doing, and that is damaging the CNS significantly. Head shots should be brain shots and neck shots should be spine cord (cervical) shots. These are reliable, humane, one shot kills.

Personally, my favorite "neck" shots are those where the animal is quartered away and my target is actually of of the CNS 3 (brain, brain stem, spinal cord) and with a little luck, I can tag all 3, but any 1 will do. It is a higher percentage DRT shot.
Old December 17, 2019, 07:47 PM   #38
reynolds357

Quote:

The 450 Bushmaster is a performer. It seems to hit much harder than its ballistic numbers say it should.

Last edited by reynolds357; December 19, 2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old December 18, 2019, 10:28 AM   #39
onlinebiker

I headshot a button buck at 50 yard (point blank as far as I am concerned). (Edit to add- with the .450)

It was incredible. It vaporised the top of the skull. The sinus cavity all the way to behind the ears simply ceased to exist.

It made an arc of pink mist that colored the snow for 20 feet. It looked like something you would see in a movie.

I was impressed. I took a picture. (I rarely do) people who see it are amazed.
Old December 18, 2019, 09:10 PM   #40
camsdaddy

I had never taken a neck shot until last year. I was taking my son hunting and a friend suggested the neck shot. I was told that it would either be a bang flop or a miss. Of the three he shot last year all three were dead in their tracks. All were under 150 yards.

I have shot several over the years right behind the shoulder and I've had to track a few. I don't know.
Old December 19, 2019, 04:03 PM   #41
Ben Dover

If I can stalk to within 100 yards or less, and have a decent rest, I will take a neck shot every time.

I've never lost, or had to track a neck shot animal.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old December 19, 2019, 05:26 PM   #42
reynolds357

Quote:
I headshot a button buck at 50 yard (point blank as far as I am concerned). (Edit to add- with the .450)

It was incredible. It vaporised the top of the skull. The sinus cavity all the way to behind the ears simply ceased to exist.

It made an arc of pink mist that colored the snow for 20 feet. It looked like something you would see in a movie.

I was impressed. I took a picture. (I rarely do) people who see it are amazed.
Nothing amazing about it. Gory maybe, but not amazing.
In the modern liberal world we live in, hunting gore is anti hunting group propoganda fuel. If I do publish a picture, the blood is cleaned up before I take pic.
Old December 19, 2019, 09:07 PM   #43
7.62 man

Just like most have stated the neck shot would not be my first choice in fact unless it was a once in a lifetime buck or extremely close & I couldn't get any other shot that deer would walk away because I wouldn't take that shot.
Also there is no way I would think about taking a headshot.
Old December 20, 2019, 05:15 PM   #44
mxsailor803

I took shoulder shots for many years. I’ve switched to neck shots about 5 years ago. I have not had one move more than a couple steps. Am I passing judgment on someone that takes a shoulder shot? Head shot? Neck shot? No. As long as it ethical and kill the animal quickly. Have I taken head shots? Sure. Killed a doe earlier this season with my .270 with a head shot. If you’re comfortable with your equipment and confident in your ability to place a accurate and humane kill shot, that’s all that matters.
Old December 20, 2019, 10:22 PM   #45
onlinebiker

Yup.

Results say more than ideology.

If you collect what you shoot - you're doing it right.
Old January 2, 2020, 11:44 AM   #46
Maineiak

I am a big fan of the neck shot, they drop right there and no wasted meat!
Old January 2, 2020, 12:25 PM   #47
Maineiak

I agree about the 450! I hit a big buck quartering away from me at 150 yards, the bullet entered near the left flank behind the rib cage, and exited out the right side hitting the fore most rib, collapsed the lungs and clipped the heart, and the bullet broke the front leg at the elbow on the way out. The buck only made it 20 yards before it piled up, and there was blood and hair easy to see where it was shot.