The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2019, 04:38 PM   #1
Scribe

Rifle Primers in pistol cases.

Hi Chaps,

I previously did a post about some 20 year old, good condition large pistol primers that came my way. These worked flawlessly.
I have now acquired some 20 year old CCI large rifle primers from the same source. My question is would they be safe to use for .44 Special and .44 Magnum handloads?
This is for target shooting in a Rossi 92 in .44 Magnum with a 16 inch barrel.
The CCI Large Pistol Primers I use are 3.12 mm thick. The Large Rifle Primers are 3.23 mm thick and seat nicely flush in the IMI cases I will be using. All these hand loads will be with a magnum length case rather than a special.
Special load, 200-240 grain cast lead bullet over 6 grains of Bullseye.
Magnum load, 180 or 240 grain FMJ or 240 grain copper washed round nose. This will be over 20 grains of Vihtavuori N110. All these loads subject to modification after advice.
All advice and comment gratefully received.
Old January 8, 2019, 04:46 PM   #2
IMtheNRA

Primers should be seated below flush, not "nicely flush". You may experience unreliable primer activation and diminished accuracy, but you probably won't be unsafe as long as your powder change does not exceed published level for the particular bullet that you're using. Work up the loads and don't start at the top of the powder charge range.
Old January 8, 2019, 04:47 PM   #3
xandi

If it was srp in a 357 mag I’d say go for it, make sure to work up your load,as that’s what I do.
However the lrp are larger, and may lock up your revolver. It sucks when they’re not below flush.
They might be harder as well
Old January 8, 2019, 06:36 PM   #4
LE-28

I wouldn't use large rifle primers in place of large pistol primer in any circumstance.
Small rifle and small pistol are the same dimensions, Large rifle and large pistol are not.
The large rifle primers are longer than large pistol primers so they will no seat properly in pistol cases, period.
Even if you think they are flush they may not be quite flush and in a rifle with a tube magazine this could be a disaster.
Old January 10, 2019, 04:43 PM   #5
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMtheNRA View Post
Primers should be seated below flush, not "nicely flush". You may experience unreliable primer activation and diminished accuracy, but you probably won't be unsafe as long as your powder change does not exceed published level for the particular bullet that you're using. Work up the loads and don't start at the top of the powder charge range.
Right ! And you want to seat the primers all the way into the pocket until they bottom out.
Why ? If not all the way in the first strike seats the primer....the second strike and the primer will fire....If you have had this happen it's classic symptom of primers not being fully seated in the pocket.
Exactly how much flush or below flush doesn't matter one iota...the primer must be fully seated into pocket until it hits bottom.....Trust Me On This I learned it the hard way !
Gary
Old January 10, 2019, 08:18 PM   #6
mikld

Large rifle primers are .008" taller than large pistol primers...