The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2018, 08:48 PM   #1
Brutus

The never ending desire for a combat commander

In my old age revolvers are becoming more and more desirable as I don't have to chase after brass. Still in all the urge for a Colt commander keeps tugging at my purse strings. Problem is I'd like it in all stainless with night sights and no front cocking serrations and in .38 super, about as rare as a unicorn.
Saw one at a lgs. in .45 ACP with front cocking serrations and no night sights but they want $1200 bucks for it. Guess that's why my desire keeps diminishing.
Old January 18, 2018, 08:56 PM   #2
Whirlwind06

You could get one in 9mm then get. 38 a super barrel fitted. Might be easier to find.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 19, 2018, 08:40 AM   #3
rodfac

Whirlwind has a good suggestion there, tho expensive. I've got a Series 70 Colt slide and barrel assembly originally bought for a Cold Combat Commander that does double duty on my Ruger CMD in .45. No real changes in the basic gun were necessary as I recall except for the ejector. Both the slide and ejector were drop in fit too boot! Too, while I really like the .38 Super, and it's more accurate than the 9mm, it is a reloader's proposition...expensive ammo!! Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 19, 2018, 02:41 PM   #4
cw308

Had a Colt Combat Commander in 45acp back in the 70's sold it to a friend . Great gun great balance wish I never sold it . I still have the urge to get one an now I'm in my 70's.

Chris
Old January 19, 2018, 02:50 PM   #5
SIGSHR

I had higher and darker sights installed on the slide of my satin finish Combat Commander in 45 ACP, been looking for another slide for a LONGG time.
Yes, a 9MM/38 Super combo is quite desireable. I recall an article in Guns and Ammo years ago, the writer said to convert from one to the other all he need was a new barrel and magazine, the ejector worked fine,
Old January 19, 2018, 03:33 PM   #6
Brownstone322

The never ending desire for a combat commander

Colt gets you close. In 2016 they reintroduced the Lightweight Commander, then (in 2017, I think) came a new Combat Commander. They're both blued, but I suspect that a stainless model will follow before too long, same as it did with the full-sized Competition model.

Caliber is an issue -- the two Commanders are available only in .45 ACP and 9mm -- but Colt is a good supporter of .38 Super, and the Competition line includes .38 Super. I'd keep an eye on that line of Commanders.

Last edited by Brownstone322; January 19, 2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old January 19, 2018, 06:05 PM   #7
RickB

Colt's XSE Commander was cataloged for a while in .38 Super, stainless, maybe 3-5 years ago, but they did have forward serrations.
The factory Novak sights could be easily swapped for night sights.

If you go back to the "enhanced" Colt pistols of the '90s, you lose the serrations, but you also lose the extended thumb safety, sight dovetails, and beavertail.
Old January 19, 2018, 07:00 PM   #8
Brutus

Might take a ride to the lgs. tomorrow and make them an offer, guns been in their display for over a year. If I can chisel them down to a reasonable price with additional night sights as an incentive maybe I'll go for it.
What the hell a sixth 1911 in 45ACP can't be all bad.
Old January 19, 2018, 09:30 PM   #9
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Colt's XSE Commander was cataloged for a while in .38 Super, stainless, maybe 3-5 years ago, but they did have forward serrations.
The factory Novak sights could be easily swapped for night sights.

If you go back to the "enhanced" Colt pistols of the '90s, you lose the serrations, but you also lose the extended thumb safety, sight dovetails, and beavertail.
When I posted before, I specifically had that gun in mind, which, if I recall correctly, was offered strictly in stainless (but, yes, also had forward serrations).

It's because of the XSE Commander that I suspect a stainless version of the current Colt Commanders will show up eventually. (I didn't know the XSE Commander was offered in .38 Super, however.) For me, other "modern" 1911 features are more important -- dovetailed front sights, skeletonized trigger, extended beavertail, extended safety, undercut trigger guard -- and the current-generation Colts have all those things. Plus I shoot 9mm, so I'm all good.

Last edited by Brownstone322; January 19, 2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old January 20, 2018, 01:36 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

These guys are listing an SS Colt Lightweight Commander in .38 Super. $951.45.
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...1911/38-super/
"...night sights..." Are easily put on. Even though you really don't need 'em. 'Wanting 'em' isn't the same thing.
Old January 20, 2018, 01:44 PM   #11
PatientWolf

The Cabelas in Garner NC has a used blued .45 they are asking $899 for.
Old January 20, 2018, 01:45 PM   #12
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
These guys are listing an SS Colt Lightweight Commander in .38 Super. $951.45.
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...1911/38-super/
That's the one! I can't speak for the original poster, but I could get past the front serrations. On the other hand, the aluminum frame is a big difference in feel.
Old January 21, 2018, 09:02 AM   #13
Brutus

Well went to the lgs and tried to barter for the commander, guy wouldn't budge on the price even after I explained the added cost of night sights would bring the cost up to Dan Wesson levels, which led to the Dan Wesson display case. Had whole bunches of them, looked over a Bobtail Classic a Satin finish bobtail Valor and a black finish bobtail Valor, Guy wouldn't budge on those prices either. Couldn't even get him to apply a senior citizen discount
Told him I was going to check out the competition down the road and asked him to work on the price while I was gone.
The competition is about 30 miles farther out in the sticks so I was hoping for better pricing. He had none in stock said all three were on back order and was only about twenty bucks cheaper. Went back to the first place had the guy put all three on the counter, still couldn't get a better price.
Bought the black finish bobtail Valor.
Old January 21, 2018, 09:22 AM   #14
Skadoosh

Series-70 Colt Combat Commander. They keep their value for a reason.

Old January 21, 2018, 09:29 AM   #15
cw308

I don't know what the profit margin is , but having a gun in his display case for over a year not to budge on the price , it isn't a rock bottom price or it wouldn't be there. Doesn't seem like a guy that wants to grow his business . Have you bought from him before?
Old January 21, 2018, 01:03 PM   #16
Brutus

Yeah, he generally has the best prices in our area not to mention the best selection and a target range. However that best selection always seems to work to my disadvantage, thus the recent purchase.
Old January 21, 2018, 01:34 PM   #17
HighValleyRanch

He knew he had you hooked when you came back!LOL

Now he'll NEVER go down on his prices.

Here in CA, the guns you want are so hard to find, that you better be willing to pay higher prices, otherwise you might not find the same deal for years.
If you want it bad enough, it's only money!
Old January 21, 2018, 02:47 PM   #18
Brutus

No not true, been doing business there for many years. In most cases you can barter with them, depends on what your looking at. If it were a block or Smith& Wesson something he has large quantities of you can deal. Obviously high end items not so much. Well win some lose some. Still a bit disgruntled at not getting 10 bucks off on the senior citizen card.
Still in all I get a free range pass and 10% off on accessories and ammunition.
Will buy some WW white box to try it out and add to my reloading brass, maybe a couple magazines even though I don't need them.
Forgot to ask if primers and powder were acceptable accessories.

Last edited by Brutus; January 21, 2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old January 22, 2018, 09:16 AM   #19
Viper225

I have had one 38 Super Commander over the years. My local dealer had it under the counter waiting on me to come in.
Some history. The Commander had belonged to 3 different people in my community since around 1951. I knew all three of them, and had never seen the pistol before. The original owner was a Navy Jet Jockey, and took it to Korea with him.
It was considered a First year production Pistol with a serial number around 156 if I remember correctly.
I posted pictures on the 1911 Forum, and shortly it had a very good home in a Colt Collectors safe.

I would like to try out a Stainless XSE Commander. In 38 Super or 45 acp. Either should be a keeper.
I went through all the 1911's at my local gun shop the other day. Colt's are high. He had three or four and the cheapest one was around $900.

Bob R
Old January 22, 2018, 10:37 AM   #20
OzeanJaeger

I have a "Wilson's Jewelry" Combat Commander. The guy I bought it from lives in Berryville. He was the original owner, and had Bill Wilson trick it out before he even put one down the pipe. It's blue with Colt ivory grips, and is one smooth shooter. One of my favorite pistols.
Old January 22, 2018, 10:48 AM   #21
Northof50

The tug for additional 1911's alway exist for me. But, the cost of them prevents the purchase. I've got a 1985 Colt Gold Cup which has never given me issue. But, it seems [today] you need to cross the $2000 threshold to get a decent one. But, even writing that, I realize I've been out of the 1911 market for so long - I don't know that to be true. It's so easy to pick up a Glock [or similar] polymer, for a fraction of the price, and have a completely reliable and accurate firearm.

For a defensive pistol, without the need for extended mag releases, extended safety, etc. how much do you have to spend to get a decent 1911?
Old January 22, 2018, 04:16 PM   #22
cw308

Brutis it would have broke your heart if you went there to buy an it was gone . Should have given you if not a senior citizen discount , a loyal customer discount . At least it's in your house now , enjoy your new shooter .
Old January 22, 2018, 07:39 PM   #23
Brutus

As a bulls eye shooter the 5 inchers always had more appeal but a commander size was on my bucket list now fulfilled. Northof50 I got you beat, bought my Colt Gold Cup in 1979 I think. Saved for it forever as it's price was a whopping $350. Still got it and it's still a tack driver after all these years.
Wouldn't hesitate to get another unlike the two Kimbers I bought. MIM parts keep breaking and they have the worst customer service there is.
Old January 24, 2018, 05:04 PM   #24
dgludwig

On 12-27-74, I paid $205.07 for a new Gold Cup that I still use in Bullseye matches.

In terms of the Commander length Colt 1911, I've never seen a use for the steel version for concealed carry purposes. It's almost as heavy as the Government version and almost as long, and still has the same size grip. For the range and home defense duty, I much prefer the full-size, steel Government model. For edc, I'd opt for the aluminum alloy version, mostly for its lighter length.
Old January 24, 2018, 07:23 PM   #25
Brutus

dgludwig you got me beat, don't you just love knowing you got a classic for that amount. It was a lot of money back then but the Gold Cup and my Python are the only guns I've ever owned that have appreciated ten fold over what I paid.