The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 28, 2017, 02:04 PM   #1
Piko

Softest Recoil 9mm for $300

I have some significant carpal tunnel issues in both hands. What is the lightest recoil 9mm handgun currently available for about $300. Basic physics tells me that the best way to combat recoil is to increase mass which is fine with me as I don't intend to carry this weapon.

From my research, many seem to recommend a CZ 75 as a low recoil reliable gun. However, this is currently over my budget. I've seen some polymer CZ clones available for $250, but I'm not sure how these stack up against the full steel CZs as far as recoil is concerned - any opinions from those who have experience with both?

Any other low cost 9mm options that I should consider? I would really prefer to stick with 9mm, but if there is a .380 pistol that offers significantly less recoil, then let me know. I'm not considering revolvers at the moment.
Old December 28, 2017, 02:47 PM   #2
zukiphile

Piko, if you insist on a centerfire pistol, the Walther PK380 has a comically light recoil. In the one I had, accuracy wasn't too great and I thought it was sort of a piece of junk.

The mildest 9mm I recall shooting was a Ruger P95. It was also quite accurate.

I've helped shooters who wanted to shoot something, but had a medical reason to limit recoil. In each case they found that nothing is as kind as 22lr.
Old December 28, 2017, 02:55 PM   #3
Piko

Zukiphile, thx for the reply. The main function of the gun will be for home defense and the extremely rare instance where I may carry it with me. For this reason, I'm ruling out 22 caliber and prefer to stick with 9mm.
Old December 28, 2017, 03:39 PM   #4
Lohman446

Slide manipulation would be a concern it would seem as well. Some guns have a smaller or tapered slide or simply a heavier recoil spring which makes slide manipulation more difficult.
Old December 28, 2017, 03:51 PM   #5
zukiphile

Do you have anyone willing to reload for you?

I've a 45ACP with ammunition tailored to just cycle it. I am very recoil sensitive, but have printed some of the best scores of my life with that pistol.

If you have a reloader willing to help and experiment, you could find the least expensive/best deal in a used pistol, then have low recoil ammunition made for it.

I wouldn't like to be shot at all, but I think my feelings would be hurt more by a 200gr 45acp at 750fps than a .380 at full power.
Old December 28, 2017, 03:59 PM   #6
arquebus357

At $300 you might consider a Spanish Star BM. Right now they are once again plentiful. These are fine pistols that weigh a hefty 34 OZ. My wife has commandeered mine because it's my only 9mm she can tolerate firing.
Old December 28, 2017, 04:16 PM   #7
Ricklin

Yup

Weight is the key. Do you have a local range that has a variety of rentals?
Old December 28, 2017, 04:24 PM   #8
blchandl2

The Arcus 94 or 98 DA models have light recoil and are in the $300 range. I have the 98DA and it is one of my favorite guns to shoot.
Old December 28, 2017, 04:24 PM   #9
Piko

That Spanish Star BM sounds like an interesting candidate. Any idea how this compares with recoil of a full size CZ clone?

Lohman - yeah slide manipulation is likely an issue, but not as much as the debilitating effect jarring recoil has on my hands.

Zukiphile, that reloading option will probably not work for me. However, I'll add that Ruger P95 to my research list.
Old December 28, 2017, 04:28 PM   #10
Piko

blchandl2 - hadn't even heard of Arcus... are those CZ clones?

The gun range near me had the standard mainstream rentals, but no CZs or their clones and I doubt they have any of the other more obscure guns.
Old December 28, 2017, 04:45 PM   #11
zukiphile

The Arcus is a Browning high power pattern.

I know you wrote that you aren't considering revolvers. You might be overlooking an excellent option.
Old December 28, 2017, 04:51 PM   #12
TailGator

There are some used 92 series Berettas that come on the market around that price point sometimes. They may show wear, but they are durable pistols and usually are mechanically sound. The big Beretta is a pretty soft shooting pistol.

If you get really lucky and pick up a used Beretta PX4, the rotating barrel makes it quite a soft shooter, too, if anything a bit softer than the 92. They are not terribly common, though, so you would have to enjoy a stroke of good luck to find one used at your price point.
Old December 28, 2017, 04:57 PM   #13
KyJim

Wikipedia lists the Star BM as weighing 25 ounces which is a bit on the light side if you are trying to minimize recoil. Instead, look at the Star Model B Super which weighs about 38 ounces empty. I have one and it not only has little felt recoil, but it is a good shooter. I see them listed on Gunbroker for under $300
Old December 28, 2017, 04:59 PM   #14
DubC-Hicks

I always thought the SR9 was pretty soft recoiling, and 17+1 capacity is hard to beat. And the 9E can be found for $250 these days.
Old December 28, 2017, 05:36 PM   #15
MandolinMan

As mentioned above, the Ruger P89 might fit the bill. They can be found on GunBroker under $300 and are light recoiling pistols.
Old December 28, 2017, 05:59 PM   #16
DanPop

I would look for a pre owned Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm, New is going to run about 400 to 450 but I suspect you can find used for your budget. The PX4 has a rotating barrel design which greatly reduces recoil.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old December 28, 2017, 06:03 PM   #17
subhuman

It will be more than$300 but if you can find a police trade in p228/229 in 9mm it is a very smooth soft shooting pistol, when luck is with you the 229s can be found between$400-500 range which is a great deal on a $1000 pistol, also pursue sales on the berreta M9/P92 tarde ins
Old December 28, 2017, 06:25 PM   #18
tallball

Others have mentioned these. I got all three of them within the past few years. They were military surplus or police trade-ins. They were under $300 apiece OTD. I would recommend any of them.

I got a Star Super B a few years back. It is roughly the size and shape of a 1911. It is nice and heavy. The recoil is light. It was the first 9mm pistol that my recoil-averse daughter chose to shoot.''

I got a Star BM a couple of months ago. It's very similar to a Super B, but the barrel and grip are both a little shorter. It's still plenty heavy and the recoil isn't much. I surprised myself by shooting it every bit as well as the larger model.

Yeah, the Beretta PX models have low recoil. It's not quite as big and heavy as the full-sized Star, but its rotating breech seems to help a lot.
Old December 28, 2017, 06:37 PM   #19
rodfac

All 9mm's are "soft shooting", even the alloy or plastic framed models. But if you go to a steel frame, while the recoil may be minimal, the gun weight is 6 oz. more...it's a trade off. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 28, 2017, 07:09 PM   #20
xcc_rider

This is slightly off target but,
By "significant" do you mean untreated carpal tunnel issues or post surgery issues?

Around 20 years ago I was tested and had severe damage in my right hand and moderate in my left. I found a good surgeon and had surgery on both hands and I have nothing but good to say about it.
I currently shoot 45acp, 40s&w, 9mm, 357mag and 9x18 mak out of a jarring P64 with no issues at all.

So if untreated then I would recommend having it corrected so you can shoot whatever you want.

If the issues persist post surgery then perhaps some type of compression foam can be added to a smaller size grips to soften the jarring.
Old December 28, 2017, 07:29 PM   #21
arquebus357

Quote:
Wikipedia lists the Star BM as weighing 25 ounces which is a bit on the light side if you are trying to minimize recoil.
Sorry, but Wikipedia is WRONG. The Star BM does indeed weigh 34 oz. They may be, mistakenly, thinking of the alloy frame version, the BKM. Do you really use Wikipedia for reference ??

Old December 28, 2017, 07:41 PM   #22
Piko

xcc_rider - I haven't had surgery, but I had visited an orthopedic surgeon several times, had some MRIs completed of the neck and shoulder area. The surgeon had initially suspected the issue was due to pinched nerves in the neck/shoulder area, but this proved not to be the case. He wanted to then go ahead and get an MRI of my brain at which point I decided to hold off. I've since learned to manage the issue and avoid certain activities. Perhaps in the future I'll get it looked at again.

I posted a similar thread in a CZ specific forum asking about CZ clones and their relative recoil. Someone suggested I should look at the Canik clones. What would be informative to me is if someone with experience firing multiple of these guns commented about how the recoil differs between some of the models mentioned in this thread. If the difference is insignificant, I'll just choose the cheapest option.

Here are the guns I'm currently considering. I'll add to the list if anyone has other suggestions. I've already eliminated a few of the models mentioned in this thread for various reasons.

Canik S120 or P120
Star Super B
Beretta PX4
Beretta 92 (I've seen some surplus 92s models available)
EAA Witness or SAR B6 CZ clones (preferably steel, but these seem difficult to find at a reasonable price)
Old December 28, 2017, 07:55 PM   #23
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, Piko.

Weight is certainly a large factor in recoil, but I have to say that I've been pleasantly surprised at the soft recoil of an XDs in .45 that I got to shoot as well as my own 9mm Shield. I'm no engineer, but I suspect that there's some flex in polymer pistols that absorbs some of the recoil.

Also, I know little or nothing about Star pistols, but I did notice that Aim Surplus has the BM model on sale for $199.95 right now: https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...BM+9MM+Handgun
Old December 28, 2017, 07:57 PM   #24
cosh

I use batting gloves for range practice. IDK if I have carpal tunnel issues but the gloves stop numming hands for me. I have a Canik C-100 and like it a lot, especially w batting gloves. The S-120 should even be less recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 28, 2017, 11:47 PM   #25
Cosmodragoon

Piko, I think softer recoil is good for everyone because it makes shooting more controllable and more fun. Like you, I have health issues that increase the value of such a feature. (Another one is good ergonomics.) Having owned and shot a variety of handguns over the years, I have to recommend that you expand your budget and maybe start exploring the used market. Consider that you'll have ammo costs after you buy it anyway and prepay your way into some more options.

For instance, that Beretta PX4 Storm is an amazingly soft shooter in 9mm. The rotating barrel system favorably changes how recoil is distributed in the hand. There are lots of soft-recoiling 9mm handguns out there but this one has to be my favorite. Honestly, I'd take it over more popular DA/SA options from Sig or CZ any day.