The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 15, 2012, 01:27 AM   #51
Running Dog

I agree 100% with advise about firearm education(adult and children of adequate learning age), safely securing weapon, hardening home ,actual plan, practice drill, etc. When it comes to weapon choice though a serious consideration is the effect of the weapon's discharge. Have any of you shotgun proponents ever fired a 12ga indoors? When I was In V.N. the tunnel rats used .38's sent from home because .45's deafened them and the flash blinded them. I personally have a Ruger LCR .38 spl. with CT laser grips loaded w/ Glaser Security slugs, which are a h.p. filled with compressed #12 shot; does serious terminal damage, but does not ricochet or penetrate multiple walls and uses low flash powder. Light weight, easy to point in low light, manageable recoil, cheap to shoot at the range. A well known writer of a weapon review website wrote recently of this exact problem and suggested an 8 shot .22 lr. revolver for his daughter in law, because it was the only weapon she was comfortable and confident shooting. He reasoned that 8, 40gr slugs delivered accurately to the chest in several seconds was better than a weapon that was intimidating to the user ,so less less likely to be used and if so less likely to hit the target.