The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 5, 2010, 02:41 PM   #1
justinicus

Ft. Knox handgun safe vs. GunVault?

Hey folks,

Sorry if this has been covered, but I did a search and only found two references to Ft. Knox handgun safes, neither referencing quality, features, etc.

I'm in the market for a quality lock-box with quick access. Something that I can bolt down, and be relatively confidant in. I there's a difference between a lock-box and a safe, but I'm looking for something that will take more than a teen with a 12" pry bar. I like the features of the GunVault, but I'm wary of their electronic locks. This is something that will be used regularly, and I've read about the questionable design of their moving parts. The Ft. Knox handgun safe/pistol box looks good on the lock front, but it sure looks like you could get a pry bar under the lip of the lid with no trouble.

Any local experts? Anyone ever try to get into either (or other, similar options)? Any advice from the peanut gallery?

Thanks!
Old December 5, 2010, 03:11 PM   #2
ohen cepel

I would also look at the V-Line handgun safe, looks a lot like the Ft. Knox.

I went with the Gun Vault about 6 years ago, it has served me well and I'm in/out of it a lot. I have read about them failing but not sure how many actually break and how much of it is the internet "echo" of the same stories being told again and again. I can only speak about the one I own.

I looked at the others and thought that the opening of the Gun Vault would be easier in the dark and I liked some of the other things about the Vault.

I have since also bought a V Line long gun version. It is also easy to get into even in the dark, I wouldn't say as easy but still easy with practice.

I don't think any of them will stop anyone for long. So placement is key with any of them.

The Gun Vault has served me well but I do think after having used the V Line for a while I would go that route or the Ft. Knox next time since it doesn't need any power/batteries to function. The Vault has nice perks and is easier in the dark for me but I don't like the battery/power requirement.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old December 5, 2010, 07:26 PM   #3
a1abdj

None of these boxes will slow a teen with a 12 inch pry bar for long.

That aside, I like any of them that use the Simplex mechanical lock. It has been around a very long time, is very reliable, and does not require batteries or cheap chinese electronics.

Fort Knox, V-line, and FAS1 all make versions that use this type of lock. The Fort Knox is probably the heaviest built. V-line offers the most models. FAS1 offers a system that "presents" the firearm as the door opens.
Old December 9, 2010, 12:37 PM   #4
FAS1

Here's a pic of the FAS1 Safe if you're not familiar with it.

Last edited by FAS1; December 9, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old December 10, 2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Syntax360

I know which one I'd pick...