The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 5, 2013, 10:49 PM   #51
Super Sneaky Steve

Just took my Big Boy out to the range today. At 25 yards all my bullet holes were touching with iron sights.

This thing is amazing! I'm going to get one in 45-70 next
Old July 5, 2013, 11:02 PM   #52
Vividia

I have 2 Big Boys - .357 mag and .44 mag. Love that they shoot easy to load handgun ammo. They are well made and great shooters. Unlike others, I haven't had any trouble with the stock angle.

Try this if you are at an outdoor range that can accommodate it - get one of those self sealing orange balls. Throw it out on the range, and then chase it down the range. You will find that the heavy barrel swings very naturally target reacquisition is quick and easy.
Old July 6, 2013, 01:32 AM   #53
MaDMaXX

How do you like the .357 specifically? I found it on their website, i'll probably look to get that sometime.

Also, the self healing orange balls? I'm looking for recommendations on good reactive targets as well
Old July 6, 2013, 09:01 AM   #54
chiefr

Seems all the posts are positive. Rare on these forums.
I have never owned a Henry, however I have fired my share of them. They share one thing in common: Quality, fit, and finish is superior to all other rifles of similar designs. They are accurate and 100% reliable.
There quality is reminicent of the old Belgium Brownings.
Old July 6, 2013, 01:18 PM   #55
chipchip

Hows the recoil between the 357 and 44 mag.
Old July 6, 2013, 01:21 PM   #56
MattShlock

The Henry's are HEAVY (besides having a low stock). Recoil in .44 Mag levers is surprisingly heavy, though not terrible, and I have shocked people with them!
Old July 6, 2013, 01:49 PM   #57
David Bachelder

I have a Henry Big Boy chambered in .357 Magnum. I've had it about a year or so. It is a very nice rifle and it shoots spot on. I lke it because I also have a ruger BlackHawk chambered in .357 Magnum. I can carry a rifle and a revolver into the field and they both use the same ammo.

The Henry also shoots the .38 Special (of course). I shoot a lot of 38 special out of it just for plinkers. The idea was to use them for Hog Hunting here in Texas. I've been on a couple trips but the hogs aren't showing up. I have no doubt that the 357 will take a hog down.

My Henry is a very nice rifle.
Old July 7, 2013, 10:15 PM   #58
Vividia

The recoil on the .357 is almost not existent, and the .44 mag not much more. Both have less recoil than my AR15 IMO.

Another cool feature is that that heavy barrel is one big heat sink. I can hold the barrel to reload without burning my hand. Can't say that about any other rifle I own

Oh, and as to the question about the orange ball - look up Do All Outdoors, and it's called Impact Seal. (I have a new one on the floor beside me LOL) I have a ball and a block, and really like em for practicing target acquisition and changing point of aim as the ball gets further and further away. Really helps to work out the sight picture of the ballistic arc of handgun rounds out of a longer barrel.