The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2018, 07:43 AM   #1
ghost town

6.5 creedmoor decap pin help please

I want to start reloading for a new gun today. I have new Lapua brass and a Hornady FL die set. The decap pin is too large for the flash hole. Since it's new brass can I remove the decap pin from the die set? The box of brass says small flash hole 1.5mm. Is that the same for all lapua brass in 6.5 CM? What do I do when I need to deprime?
Old January 13, 2018, 08:22 AM   #2
LBussy

I measured the pin on my Lee Universal Decapping Die and it's .062" (1.5875 mm) - I understand the "standard" is .0625 so that fits. The Lee dies allow removal of the pin - I would expect any others to allow the same so that's what I would do on this new brass.

There is a reamer for making those flash holes larger/more standard. That might be an option for you:

SINCLAIR FLASHHOLE REAMER - .0625
Old January 13, 2018, 08:50 AM   #3
std7mag

Quick question.
Does the Lapua brass take a small primer, or a large primer?
That may be your difference.
Old January 13, 2018, 08:54 AM   #4
oldscot3

The Lapua brass with the small flash holes is probably also for small rifle primers, I wouldn't recommend reaming them out.

Universal depriming dies are cheap, available for both small and large primers (with the correct corresponding pins) and as the name suggests can be used for many different cartridges.

I'm not sure about Hornady, but on my Redding dies you can just swap in the smaller diameter pin. If you absolutely have to load today, swapping the pin is probably a better option than trying to drill out the flash holes.

BTW if you have "new Lapua brass" you don't need to deprime today, just run them through the sizing die to make sure the case mouths are round. So for now, just remove the pin temporarily and use it without a pin.

Last edited by oldscot3; January 13, 2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old January 13, 2018, 09:15 AM   #5
ghost town

Any advice on removing the expander it won't budge
Old January 13, 2018, 09:54 AM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

For a Hornady die you have to take the entire stem out to remove the pin. Loosen the nun on the top of the die all the way. Then take the entire stem out. You will see the area where the decapping pin is held by a round ball like nut. You have to get a hold of that with something that will turn it loose. Once it is off the decapping pin come out of the top of the nut. It is shaped kind of like a small trim nail.
Old January 13, 2018, 10:17 AM   #7
ghost town

"You have to get a hold of that with something that will turn it loose."

That is my problem and question...
Old January 13, 2018, 10:24 AM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

I use vice grips.
Old January 13, 2018, 10:53 AM   #9
ed308

6.5 Creedmoor Lapua brass has the extra small flash hole. The pins are easy to break since thin compared to other decapping pins. After breaking several of the pins on my press, I now decap my 6.5 Lapua brass off the press and use a Harvey Deprimer. You can order it with extra small pin needed the Lapua brass. But he also has regular sized pins available. The pins are machined, so much stronger. It will also decap most rifle and pistol brass but I use mine only for the SR Lapua brass. With the device, I doubt I'll ever break another pin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYNliCI2wbo

Harvey Deprimer website:

http://shop.harveydeprimer.com/main.sc

Last edited by ed308; January 13, 2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Added Website Link
Old January 13, 2018, 10:58 AM   #10
ghost town

thanx ed308 I will look into that. Pardon my ignorance but what is SR
Old January 13, 2018, 11:05 AM   #11
ed308

SR refers to small rifle. LP - large pistol, SP - small pistol and LR - large rifle.
Old January 13, 2018, 11:10 AM   #12
ed308

I use a lot of the Lapua brass with the small flash hole for 6.5 CM and 270AR (6.5x47 Lapua wildcat). Last thing I would do is ream out the flash hole. The brass is expensive and the best you can buy. If I want brass with a larger flash hole, I use Starline's 6.5 Creedmoor brass which comes in SR or LR and has the normal sized flash hole. It's good brass and will last. But requires more work to prep it the first time.
Old January 13, 2018, 11:18 AM   #13
ed308

One thing about reloading 6.5 Creedmoor, follow the suggestions in your reloading manual for OAL. I found the CM likes to jump to the lands. On my AR loads, I usually load mag length (as long as the mag will allow). But that doesn't work as well for the Creedmoor. Its best to find the lands then back off a bit. But if just fire-forming your new brass, just following your reloading manual for OAL. Not much prep is needed with new Lapua brass either.
Old January 13, 2018, 02:15 PM   #14
ghost town

All I have for a reloading manual is Speer#14 and one that predates the cartridge. Neither has any data for the 6.5 CM. What manual would you suggest? Also I am loading for a Tikka tx3 TAC. It has a magazine.
Old January 13, 2018, 02:57 PM   #15
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost town View Post
All I have for a reloading manual is Speer#14 and one that predates the cartridge. Neither has any data for the 6.5 CM. What manual would you suggest? Also I am loading for a Tikka tx3 TAC. It has a magazine.
Powder manufacturers often have updated load information. Here's one that has the 6.5 CM:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
Old January 13, 2018, 03:04 PM   #16
ed308

Yep. Most of the powder manufacturer's website have reloading data. I use mostly Hornady and Nosler. I'm not sure if Berger has data available on the web for their bullets. I've got a bunch of their bullets to reload too. Searched for it but never website with there data.

Nosler reloading data for the 6.5 CM:

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/65-creedmoor/
Old January 13, 2018, 03:29 PM   #17
AVirginian

The Sierra site creates new pages in pdf for new calibers. I downloaded the 6.5 CM pages and put them in my book. It's a good resource.

For the small flash holes I use a Redding decapping pin for my Lapua CM brass.
Old January 13, 2018, 04:44 PM   #18
ghost town

I gave up on the hornady die set and bought a redding. Now off to the man cave! Thank you all for your input. I'm sure to be back looking for powder and bullet combos...and countless other tidbits. Tons of info on here.
Old January 23, 2018, 12:45 AM   #19
ghost town

update...the tikka shot her first 3 at about 0.35". Holy moly I hope thats not a fluke. That was minimum load. Still working on the break in and so much more. Wish me luck