The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 27, 2021, 01:30 AM   #1
Gunn Smithy

870 forend not lining up????

Howdy folks: Before they got really ridiculous in price (if not already there?) I decided to go on GunBroker and get me an 870 shotgun to go with a Royal Arms Breacher 20" barrel. I also wanted mag extension and mounts for a green laser designator. The grip I wanted was one of the Sidewinder grips and I wanted a forend to match. I tried a couple but none was made of the same or similar hard plastic. So I was able to get a factory Remington synthetic 870 stock and forend. Yes I'm collecting a pile of take off parts as well as unused aftermarket parts that I'll box up and send to Numeric Arms after all is done.

I managed to get a sweetheart of a shotgun for just under 700 bucks. It's a wingmaster that by the serial number was made in the late 1980's if that matters? I also bought the expensive version forend wrench from Brownells. It's the one that pilots off the inside of the mag tube so you're lined up when you go to start threading the forend nut on. Problem I'm having however is there is enough slop in the forend wrench (side to side?) that the plastic (I think) is holding the nut off center??? This is just a guess of course. I've installed the original wood forend a number of times as well as a Hogue overmolded forend with absolutely NO problems, but the factory plastic forend......NO such luck. Any suggestions besides using another forend. Smithy.