The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 31, 2020, 01:54 AM   #1
CedarGrove357

Lonely .38-55 octagon barrel

Several years ago I picked up a .38-55 26" octagon barrel, outer magazine tube and fore end in anticipation of finding a 1894 Winchester I could convert with a gunsmith friend of mine. Well, the host gun never materialized, therefore the parts collected dust.

I am now in gunsmith school and have a full spectrum of machinery at my disposal. I've been eyeing this barrel and wondering what could be done to make it functional, but I keep missing the mark. I thought about a .375 Winchester rechamber, but after research, 86'd that idea.

I am not opposed to changing the chambering, cutting the tenon off and re threading for a different receiver, or making my own custom receiver. I would even consider re profiling the barrel for a different stock option. I do not believe a remington 700, weatherby, or winchester 77 receiver would work as its turned now.

What is your opinion on a .38 caliber cartridge which I could use as a project gun? If I can't figure out something to do, then these parts will most likely wind up in the for sale bin.

All the Best~

Cedar Grove Farm and Arms
Old December 31, 2020, 02:24 AM   #2
Scorch

38-55 was one of the better options in a 94 before smokeless powder. Big and slow. Not really a prime choice for a hunting rifle, IMO, but find a pre-war Winchester 1894 and swap out the barrel, you'll like it for close range deer.
Old December 31, 2020, 06:01 PM   #3
CedarGrove357

Quote:
Several years ago I picked up a .38-55 26" octagon barrel, outer magazine tube and fore end in anticipation of finding a 1894 Winchester I could convert with a gunsmith friend of mine. Well, the host gun never materialized, therefore the parts collected dust.
Respectfully Scorch, That was what I initially stated in my post. I am looking for alternative options before sending these parts to the sale bin.

Thanks.

Old December 31, 2020, 06:36 PM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
I thought about a .375 Winchester rechamber, but after research, 86'd that idea.
Was it because you found that .375 Winchester uses .375 bore and the .38-55 Winchester uses a .379 inch bore, or for some other reason?
Old December 31, 2020, 07:02 PM   #5
CedarGrove357

It was the inability to find brass, factory ammunition, etc. The difference in bore diameters cinched the deal though.

Old December 31, 2020, 07:11 PM   #6
Old Stony

I've been fond of the 38/55's for many years. I hauled a Marlin that I own in that caliber around during deer season this year, and harvested two whitetails with it. I've nailed some nice bucks with that caliber in years past. I acquired a low wall rifle once and had a friend that does gunsmithing rebarrel it for me into a 38/55. I was very fond of that gun, but I ended up giving it to a friend that had it redone again into a 44/40.
It is a fun caliber and you will be glad you put your barrel to work !!
Old December 31, 2020, 07:15 PM   #7
CedarGrove357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Stony View Post
I've been fond of the 38/55's for many years. I hauled a Marlin that I own in that caliber around during deer season this year, and harvested two whitetails with it. I've nailed some nice bucks with that caliber in years past. I acquired a low wall rifle once and had a friend that does gunsmithing rebarrel it for me into a 38/55. I was very fond of that gun, but I ended up giving it to a friend that had it redone again into a 44/40.
It is a fun caliber and you will be glad you put your barrel to work !!
I agree with you. Thats why I was gung ho on doing the job. However, 1894's are a little too pricey to re barrel for a "fun gun".

That is why I was thinking of an alternate .38 caliber or receiver I could use to make use of the barrel.