The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 22, 2020, 11:02 AM   #1
wild cat mccane

Stoeger Inertia semi: Cutting barrel and reliability?

Thanks for the anwers on the semi auto barrel reduction. I'm loving the Beretta 1301 but now have my eyes on adding a Stoeger M3000 12ga in with compact stock. Has a 26" barrel and my loved 13" LOP.

If I send it off to Rose Action Sport for a barrel cut/thread down to 20" (or wherever the rib allows), would this affect reliability? How much does shot "dwell" in the barrel matter in an inertia gun when the factory barrel is reduced?

I emailed Stoeger because they offer to cut your barrel (for about $200 under "Services"), but they haven't responded.
Old November 22, 2020, 01:05 PM   #2
FAS1

I can't imagine it would effect the action. I have a Beretta FP1201 with a 20" barrel and it operates flawlessly. Inertia action shotguns seem more sensitive to adding weight on the gun.
Old November 22, 2020, 02:52 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

Awesome. Thank you!
Old November 22, 2020, 04:17 PM   #4
jmr40

Quote:
I can't imagine it would effect the action. I have a Beretta FP1201 with a 20" barrel and it operates flawlessly. Inertia action shotguns seem more sensitive to adding weight on the gun.
Most semi-auto shotguns internals are designed around a certain barrel length, or at least a certain range of lengths. Most hunting guns will be OK with anything 26-30". But when you start getting shorter than 26" the guns need to be designed to work with that length. If it came from the factory with a 20" barrel it was designed to work with a 20" barrel. If it came with a longer barrel it may not function with a shorter barrel. Whether you cut it, or just buy another shorter barrel

Generally speaking when you go shorter than the design calls for they still work with more powerful ammo, but maybe not with low powered shells

But to be fair this is far more critical with gas operated guns than inertia. In theory it should work with this gun, but I'd not be the one to be the product tester in order to find out. Short answer is that I don't know for sure. Before I cut it, I'd want to find someone who has actually done it and see how it worked for them.

You see a lot of guys cut barrels on pump's and even doubles. But there is a reason it doesn't happen much with semi's

Winston Churchill
Old November 22, 2020, 06:36 PM   #5
Terrierman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
Most semi-auto shotguns internals are designed around a certain barrel length, or at least a certain range of lengths. Most hunting guns will be OK with anything 26-30". But when you start getting shorter than 26" the guns need to be designed to work with that length. If it came from the factory with a 20" barrel it was designed to work with a 20" barrel. If it came with a longer barrel it may not function with a shorter barrel. Whether you cut it, or just buy another shorter barrel

Generally speaking when you go shorter than the design calls for they still work with more powerful ammo, but maybe not with low powered shells

But to be fair this is far more critical with gas operated guns than inertia. In theory it should work with this gun, but I'd not be the one to be the product tester in order to find out. Short answer is that I don't know for sure. Before I cut it, I'd want to find someone who has actually done it and see how it worked for them.

You see a lot of guys cut barrels on pump's and even doubles. But there is a reason it doesn't happen much with semi's
I cut a standard weight 20 gauge 1100 down to 20" barrel. Functions flawlessly with the lightest dove loads, standard field loads and buckshot, all 2 3/4". No mods to gas ports, standard springs etc.
Old November 24, 2020, 11:38 AM   #6
wild cat mccane

Do we know if there is a different set up between the 24, 26, and 28 inch barrelled M3000s that would do better at being reduced to 20" or would all be expected to have the same components? The "compact" only comes in a 26" barrel, but that only changes the butt stock which can be purchased separately--don't matter.

I know the M3000 comes in the "Freedom" 18" barrel line, but those barrels do not have a vent rib that I want.

Stoeger hasn't responded to my question yet. Think it is all up to you fine people to help answer
Old November 24, 2020, 04:41 PM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
Most semi-auto shotguns internals are designed around a certain barrel length
Quote:
I cut a standard weight 20 gauge 1100 down to 20" barrel.
A Stoeger or Benelli is not a gas operated gun, it's an inertia system/recoil operated shotgun. Barrel length means nothing.

Inertia system shotguns do not like things that soften the recoil impulse, like soft recoil pads, firing from the hip, soft bulky clothing, etc. Cutting a barrel will not affect the operation since they are recoil operated. But if you get shy of being abused and try to put a soft pad on it, you may find it will start to choke. It is imperative that the buttstock be firmly supported when firing, otherwise the whole gun moves under recoil and there is no difference in velocity between the bolt and receiver.
Old November 24, 2020, 06:03 PM   #8
Terrierman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
A Stoeger or Benelli is not a gas operated gun, it's an inertia system/recoil operated shotgun. Barrel length means nothing.

Inertia system shotguns do not like things that soften the recoil impulse, like soft recoil pads, firing from the hip, soft bulky clothing, etc. Cutting a barrel will not affect the operation since they are recoil operated. But if you get shy of being abused and try to put a soft pad on it, you may find it will start to choke. It is imperative that the buttstock be firmly supported when firing, otherwise the whole gun moves under recoil and there is no difference in velocity between the bolt and receiver.
I was replying to the statement by jmr40 that gas operated semi auto shotguns should not have the barrel shortened. My experience is otherwise.

Your statement about inertia guns is 100% correct. I have a Benelli M1 Super 90. It's a single shot if one tries to fire it from the hip. From the shoulder 100%
Old November 25, 2020, 10:18 AM   #9
wild cat mccane

Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports really answered in spades but gives pause too:

"Choke tube threading in the cut down Stoeger barrel will depend on the barrel thickness, some of those M3000 barrels are thinned in the midsection.

To accept Rem-Choke or Mossberg Accu-choke threading the outside diameter of the barrel at the spot it is cut off (the new muzzle) must be .845” or larger. If the diameter is between .825” to .844” it can often be threaded for Tru-Choke tubes."

That almost sounds like it's a chance it won't be able to be threaded?
Old November 25, 2020, 03:49 PM   #10
wild cat mccane

Rose Action Sports updated that the M3000 barrel at 19-21" will *likely* not be thick enough for chokes.

Dang it.
Old November 25, 2020, 06:50 PM   #11
FAS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Rose Action Sports updated that the M3000 barrel at 19-21" will *likely* not be thick enough for chokes.

Dang it.
I assume a 20" barrel would be for home defense? If so, no chokes needed.
Old November 25, 2020, 08:46 PM   #12
FITASC

Quote:

Dang it.
Call Briley about thin walls if you really want to spend the money

Quote:
I assume a 20" barrel would be for home defense? If so, no chokes needed.
Not really, but it might work.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 26, 2020, 10:50 AM   #13
wild cat mccane

I just like the shorter barrels. Aesthetics of a shorter barrel with a rib is the bee's knees to me.

But without a choke, the options are too restricted. Sigh.