The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 16, 2002, 05:45 AM   #1
cpileri

Location: Peoples Republik of Maryland, Sister State to Kalifornia
Sten parts kits?

Hello, I am new to Full Auto (not TFL, tho): I dont own a buzzgun (darn) but have a question you may be able to answer:

What's the difference between Sten Mark II and III?

reason I ask: I see parts kits all over the place for both. The Mark III's are like 30 bucks, the II's are around 150 !
Why the big difference in price?
Is it just collectability? rarity? some improvement in design? I dunno???

Also, why do all the ads say "all NFA rules apply" if they are sliced up and non-functional when assembled?

And, finally: which parts are they missing? (i.e. which parts would I need a dummy for to make it look good enough to display?)

thanks 1,000,000
C-
Old June 16, 2002, 07:35 AM   #2
ACP230

The Mark IIIs have a receiver tube that is longer than the one ont a Mark II. There are more transferrable Mark IIs around, so the parts for them are more in demand. I've read that Mark IIs are easier for those with a Manufacturer's License to make into post samples. I guess some of the parts interchange between the models and some don't.
Some kits I've seen advertised come with mags, some don't. All have the receivers torch cut in enough places to make them "parts" rather than guns.
HTH.
Old June 16, 2002, 10:52 AM   #3
Riss

Anyhow, the MkII has a threaded removeable barrel that the MK3 does not. Different methods of welding them together from what I hear. If you make a display gun ,per BATF, you are to weld the barrel to the frame and weld it shut, also weld the bolt (firing pin) to make it non useable. They dont want us to have one that could easily be converted into a functioning gun. They require it be a permanent disablement of the parts kit.
Old June 17, 2002, 10:56 AM   #4
SDC

The Mk 3 was designed as an "easier to manufacture" version of the Mk 2, with the barrel welded directly to the receiver tube. The Mk 2 has the barrel pinned into a bushing, and that bushing is then welded to the receiver tube. In practical terms, this just means that you can change the barrel on a Mk 2 without much of a problem.
Old June 17, 2002, 06:43 PM   #5
cpileri

These are the best replies

most informative of all the places I have posted this question!
thanks!
C-
Old June 18, 2002, 09:28 AM   #6
DonP

Try the Sten Discussion Group on Yahoo

You'll find a lot of info on Stens, in every flavor, on the Sten Discussion Group on Yahoo.

It was, and is an ugly, cheap and semi-reliable gun but there are a bunch of people that just love it and it has a great history. From the Brit Commandos and Para's that carried it through WW II to the resistance fighters that rebuilt them in basements with bedsprings and pieces of pipe. I think I heard that the Mk III was the cheapest version, costing less than $6 (1944 dollars) each for the Lines Brothers Tin Toy company in the UK to manufacture.

Canadian troops carried them too I think.

Don P.
Old June 23, 2002, 07:19 AM   #7
cpileri

Nice.

I heard of a guy selling semi-auto receivers for 250 bucks! Youch, I see a FULL AUTO sten for that price (minus the associated fees of course)
Well, that is a good idea for an authentic and LEGAL sten, but i wasn't in the mind for a shooter- just a replica. I was thinking about using a wooden dowel or a cardboard tube (like from a roll of christmas paper or something) and painting/cutting it to shape.
Just a wall hanger.
I did see a company that sells UNFINISHED receiver tubes. I may buy one to have a template to follow, bu i will still be useing wood/cardboard on the actual thing to avoid the Men In Black!

Does anyone suppose that "those who protect us from ourselves" will visit if I buy both a parts kit and an unfinished receiver tube together? (i.e are "they" watching?)

Do you suppose they'll care if they see the unassembled tube laying around unfinished in my workroom- completely separate from the rest of the sten?

Carl
Old June 23, 2002, 12:56 PM   #8
TaxPhd

I don't think that you will find anywhere that will sell an unfinished receiver tube AND a parts kit. IIRC, ATF has ruled that posession of both is construed as posession of an illegal MG.

IMI sells dummy STEN receivers. Check out Shotgun News or Gun List.

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton

Last edited by TaxPhd; June 24, 2002 at 10:20 AM.
Old June 23, 2002, 07:05 PM   #9
cpileri

What the he__ do they have to bother the innocent for anyways!!!!

Ok, so gunowners have reason to be paranoid- I freely admit that.
Nevertheless, I am thinking now that I will NOT be buying the unfinished tube.
Not worth the hassle! or potential hassle.
Carl
Old June 25, 2002, 08:56 PM   #10
KML

FULL AUTO STENS FOR 250???

Who has legal full auto stens for $250?
All i see are around $2200 to $2500 for
tube guns,and real c&r stens are up
around $3500.
Old June 29, 2002, 10:41 AM   #11
Riss

Can assemble non working Mk3's for under $100 shipped to you. Firing pin removed, functioning bolt and trigger. Barrel welded shut to the frame. Otherwise looks like a functioning gun. Can never be made to work again. Welded shut, painted and shipped. $$$ less than the big boys.