The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2018, 02:49 PM   #1
BarryLee

HK VP9 High & Tight

I’ve got a HK VP9 I’ve been using at the range for several months and really like the gun. I’ve decided to carry this gun and was curious if anyone could recommend a good holster. I live in a state where open carry is legal, but prefer to have my gun concealed. I also like to carry OWB with some type of cover garment.

So, can anyone recommend a nice OWB holster that would keep the VP9 sort of high & tight?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 22, 2018, 03:13 PM   #2
TunnelRat

There are so many companies making holsters now. It almost makes giving recommendations harder.

Do you have a preference for kydex or leather? If kydex I've been trying one from Black Rhino Concealment that I've been pretty happy with. The OWB version also comes with clips allowing you to use IWB too.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 22, 2018, 03:26 PM   #3
BarryLee

Yes, I know there are endless options. Also, like all of you I have that big box of failed holsters, so I realize this isn't an exact science. As for material I might lean a little toward kydex, but leather is also fine.

Thanks for the heads up on the Black Rhino they look interesting.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 22, 2018, 03:43 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Yea I got the TCS holster from them. It was a bit tighter than I like, just barely, but with kydex if you use a heatgun or blow dryer around the trigger guard area and let it loosen up you can usually get it to where you want it.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 22, 2018, 07:38 PM   #5
CalmerThanYou

Check Out Cooks Holster Co. I had excellent service.
Old February 22, 2018, 07:56 PM   #6
Chui

JMCK (JM Custom Kydex) is who I always go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 22, 2018, 10:19 PM   #7
DubC-Hicks

JM Custom Kydex is my go-to whenever I need a holster.
Old February 23, 2018, 07:19 AM   #8
Siggy-06

+1 for Cooks Holsters for kydex. High Noon for leather.
Old February 23, 2018, 03:35 PM   #9
Guilty

I have a Kramer Leather horsehide OWB (Belt Scabbard Gun Holster - Horsehide) that is worth checking out. Kramer Leather describes the holster as a high riding FBI forward tilt holster. IMO, it is a very comfortable holster and, with a good quality belt, holds the holster close to your body and conceals the VP9 quite well. Very nice craftsmanship and high quality holster.
Old February 23, 2018, 04:50 PM   #10
Uncle Malice

I think I'm the minority who hasn't been particularly impressed with JM Custom Kydex. I have one for my P30L and while it's fine... it doesn't have great 'click' retention. It doesn't hold it particularly tight to the body - i did not get the foam wedge thing that he offers - maybe that's why??

My favorite holster for my VP9 is currently the Tulster Profile. Excellent retention and smooth, solid 'click' into place. A birdy told me that Bravo will soon be making the Torsion holster for the VP9... but I don't have an ETA. I love the Torsion for my G19... I also love the Tulster Profile for my G19.... so I'd be interested in seeing the Bravo for the G19 as well.
Old February 23, 2018, 06:14 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Bravo Concealment is another great option in terms of fit and finish. In my experience the retention is just about perfect out of box, where with others I have to play around a bit. I just wish they’d go back to offering more options. I get his purpose was to streamline the business, but I liked when they had standardized Quick Ship holsters and then custom options too for more money. For instance, I want a torsion without the cut for the threaded barrel. I’ve had one with the cut and the kudex flare built into the holster digs into my leg at times if I try wearing it more around the 1 o’clock position. But you can’t get it that way. You could take a heat gun and flatten that extension out, but why can’t I just pay extra for that? Or how about being able to order the straight drop RTT holster they used to offer as opposed to the canted BCA? Or even something as simple as different loop sizes without having to buy a separate set. Why can’t I just get the loops I want put on that way from the factory? It’s a great product, but I feel he’s almost trying to be a Safariland alternative at times with no custom options, whereas many companies still give you custom options. Oh well, rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk