The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2018, 06:36 PM   #1
StainedClassKing

Anybody have experience with both these two pistols?

The two in question being the Sig P320 Compact and the Ruger American Pistol Compact.

I plan on trying them out when I get the chance, but for those of you that own them/have shot both, which do you prefer? Which would you personally feel is a better investment? Pros and cons of each? Are any of them better in a specific caliber?
Old February 20, 2018, 12:47 PM   #2
Auriemma

I have the P320 9mm in full size and have 1000s of rounds through it before and after the Voluntary Upgrade. Love it. I've only held a Ruger American, I liked the Sig grip much more along with the Sig trigger. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Henry Golden Boy 22LR
Old February 21, 2018, 12:19 AM   #3
Mosin44az

I own a 320 Compact in 9mm and have rented the Ruger American Compact in 9mm, also owned that Ruger model in.45.

In my experience the 320 is much superior and the better value. Shoots much better, with a much better trigger and less felt recoil despite being lighter. While I had to send mine to SIG for the recall, it hasn’t malfunctioned . If it continues to work well it’s a keeper for sure.

The Ruger is likely also reliable, my .45 and the rental didn’t malfunction, and it appears Ruger put more effort into the American series than it did with the SR series. But it’s heavy and clunky, and despite its weight, doesn’t handle recoil well. The grip tang just sticks out back with no curved transition from the grip, and it banged my thumb occasionally. Bad ergonomics. The trigger also hung up occasionally. A disappointment.
Old February 21, 2018, 01:36 AM   #4
1stmar

I have a 320c in both 9mm and 45, they are very accurate and reliable. The 45 is post new trigger and the 9Mm is on its way to get the upgrade along w a full size 45 and 9mm rx. They are very soft shooting, good sights, good trigger and quickly became my favorite handguns. The triggers become more crisp over time. I did have a breakin period w my 45 compact. Occasionally the first round in the mag would bridge and not feed, after 200 rds no issue. I was using my reloads and they were 200gr swc. These loads were a bit on the short side, i usually run 1.255 and these were 1.24. I was trying some new powder coated bullets and the length was a little shorter as a result. I would not have expected and hang ups w factory, fmj or hollowpoints. My full size 45 is exceptionally accurate.
The caliber xchange kits are too expensive and can be hard to find. I believe in time the price will drop. Same for grip modules. I have switched to small grip modules though mediums are still comfortable. I have small hands.
No experience w ruger american.

Last edited by 1stmar; February 21, 2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old February 22, 2018, 01:27 PM   #5
Mackie244Bud

I own the P320 Compact RX 9mm Red Dot and I love it.
It shot great before and after the Voluntary Upgrade!
In thousands of rounds with varying ammo it has never had so much as a hiccup!
I have no negatives at all

I'm sorry that I can't say anything about the Ruger American Pistol Compact.
If I was interested in it, I would try to find one to shoot and that experience and reviews would probably tell me what I need to know.
Here's Hickok45's review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC4RQ52TkNU

I really doubt that you will find anyone that will bash the P320 in any variation and I think that alone speaks volumes!
It's a lot of the reason I purchased the P320 without ever shooting one.
At the time you could not rent the P320, so I just winged it and boy am I glad that I did!

Good luck with your search!

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; February 22, 2018 at 01:58 PM.