The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2018, 07:36 PM   #26
shafter

The problem with these little guns is they're painful to shoot, and because of that they don't get shot enough. The very guns that need the most practice to be proficient with are the ones that get shot the least.

If the LCP is painful to shoot then I would suggest moving up a bit in size. Try out the LC9, or perhaps the Shield or Glock 43. You want to be good with what you carry. Personally I've found the Shield to be very easy to shoot for it's size.
Old February 15, 2018, 11:54 PM   #27
GarandTd

Perhaps try less rounds more often, if it's possible. I am 1 mile from my local, private outdoor range. It is a blessing. I generally shoot two hi-cap mags of 9mm and 3 mags +/- of 380 per week, roughly. I feel like it's good practice, often. I feel like it's better than wearing yourself down with 100 rounds in one visit from one pistol.
Old February 16, 2018, 04:04 AM   #28
Carl the Floor Walker

I doubt there was anyone worse than me when I first shot my LCP. I guess that was around 10 years ago when they first came out. Man, it hurt my hand and my finger. I almost missed the target. The round went extremely high and right to the very edge of the target.
THAT GUN ON THAT DAY GOT THE BEST OF ME
Thus began a 10 yr journey to get to be the best I could at shooting them. I trained at least once a week and thousands of rounds through them. Burnt 4 of them out.
1) eventually became use to the recoil. No longer hurt, Groups started coming together, I became faster and faster with point and shoot skills, faster at drawing and doing double taps to multiple targets etc.
Eventually this became like a hobby. Yes, I still love to shoot my other larger firearms, but I would say I am a "Niche" shooter in the fact that I love the small barrel guns. They represent a challenge.
Take on the challenge and it is my belief that you will become a better shooter with all firearms. Bigger weapons will become so much easier to shoot.

My old running coach was fond of saying
Quote:
[B]"FREQUENT, MODERATE WORKOUTS".[
/B] Advice that has stayed with me for years.

Possible solutions for the OP. Yes as the other poster mentioned. Cut down on the amount of rounds in one session and add more sessions. Sometimes I go to the range in the am and again in the PM for example. Quality vs Quantity.
In the running world, we called too many miles, "Junk Miles". No need for Junk Rounds".
Find a small barrel trainer in 22.cal and train point and shoot skills. I use a Phoenix HPA and it has been a tremendous help. I also train with BB and Pellet pistols
For my LCR, I bought a 22.cal LCR. Plus it saves on the cost of 380 ammo. And 22.cal can be a whole lot of fun to boot.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 16, 2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old February 16, 2018, 11:00 AM   #29
gnystrom

I have both the LCP and an LCPII. I agree that more than 25 shots will get your attention. On my LCP I have a set of Hogue grips that really helped but they do make the gun a bit wider. MY LCPII needs nothing added.

https://www.hogueinc.com/handall-hyb...p-sleeve-black

Last edited by gnystrom; February 16, 2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old February 16, 2018, 05:28 PM   #30
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
I doubt there was anyone worse than me when I first shot my LCP. I guess that was around 10 years ago when they first came out. Man, it hurt my hand and my finger. I almost missed the target. The round went extremely high and right to the very edge of the target.
THAT GUN ON THAT DAY GOT THE BEST OF ME
Thus began a 10 yr journey to get to be the best I could at shooting them. I trained at least once a week and thousands of rounds through them. Burnt 4 of them out.
1) eventually became use to the recoil. No longer hurt, Groups started coming together, I became faster and faster with point and shoot skills, faster at drawing and doing double taps to multiple targets etc.
Eventually this became like a hobby. Yes, I still love to shoot my other larger firearms, but I would say I am a "Niche" shooter in the fact that I love the small barrel guns. They represent a challenge.
Take on the challenge and it is my belief that you will become a better shooter with all firearms. Bigger weapons will become so much easier to shoot.

My old running coach was fond of saying /B] Advice that has stayed with me for years.

Possible solutions for the OP. Yes as the other poster mentioned. Cut down on the amount of rounds in one session and add more sessions. Sometimes I go to the range in the am and again in the PM for example. Quality vs Quantity.
In the running world, we called too many miles, "Junk Miles". No need for Junk Rounds".
Find a small barrel trainer in 22.cal and train point and shoot skills. I use a Phoenix HPA and it has been a tremendous help. I also train with BB and Pellet pistols
For my LCR, I bought a 22.cal LCR. Plus it saves on the cost of 380 ammo. And 22.cal can be a whole lot of fun to boot.
If I really get into carrying the LCP, I wouldn't mind getting a small .22 pistol. I have the SR22 (great pistol btw) but something smaller appeals to me. How about a Beretta Minx? I know the trigger is single action, but if it's just point shooting I'm practicing, I don't think the difference between the triggers will matter. Will it?

Besides, I love .22 Short. I always grab a box when I see it at an LGS.

Quote:
I have both the LCP and an LCPII. I agree that more than 25 shots will get your attention. On my LCP I have a set of Hogue grips that really helped but they do make the gun a bit wider. MY LCPII needs nothing added.
I'll admit, when I held the LCP II last year, I did feel the grip was better than the LCP and the trigger wasn't bad. I just didn't think it was worth $300 at the time, not after I just got the Custom for $200 months before.
Old February 17, 2018, 08:31 AM   #31
Auto5

My standard advice to someone shooting an LCP is to hold it like you're tying to squeeze it to death. It requires a firm grip. Maintaining that grip on the little bugger is probably adding your problem. They are a joy to carry, but a pain to shoot. Because it is my usual BUG, I do try to shoot a few mags through it each range session.
Old February 17, 2018, 09:29 AM   #32
wild cat mccane

To clarify, the Custom trigger is no different than the LCP gen2 trigger. I mean zero difference. One just happens to be metal.

I owned both at the same time. I sold the Custom because of the well documented proprietary front sight issue.
Old February 17, 2018, 01:34 PM   #33
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
To clarify, the Custom trigger is no different than the LCP gen2 trigger. I mean zero difference. One just happens to be metal.

I owned both at the same time. I sold the Custom because of the well documented proprietary front sight issue.
I disagree, the Custom's trigger feels more solid and has a more positive break. Other than Glock, plastic triggers just suck.
Old February 17, 2018, 02:15 PM   #34
Bill DeShivs

Point shooting a Minx will make you good at point shooting a Minx.
Old February 17, 2018, 04:08 PM   #35
wild cat mccane

I agree it's nicer by perception in the mind, but I doubt anyone with a regular LCP would call the plastic anything less than completely firm.
Old February 17, 2018, 05:13 PM   #36
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Point shooting a Minx will make you good at point shooting a Minx.
Better than point shooting a Phoenix Arms.
Old February 17, 2018, 05:43 PM   #37
Carl the Floor Walker

Never shot the Minx, but I can tell you right now after years of point shooting a Phoenix, that they are fantastic. I love these guns for that purpose. I like to take about 9 of the reactive paste on (2-3") targets and place them in rows of three on a standard range target. Then as fast as I can try and score as many hits as possible.
With a lot of practice you will surprised how well you can do. Really gets that small barrel and eye movement working together. And yes the Phoenix is ulta reliable. Actually I have two of them. Feel great in the hand and as accurate as the Shooter.
And these drills have been very beneficial for point shooting for all firearms.

All this said, the Minx looks like a cool little pistol and yes, I would think it would be very good for training.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 17, 2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old February 18, 2018, 05:31 PM   #38
moosemike

If I wanted a Minx in .22 short I'd get me one. But I wouldn't expect that practicing with it would be a substitute for practicing with my pocket 380. The issues with pocket 380's are recoil and the only way to master them is to shoot them. Someone complained about the trigger on an LCP. Well how easy a trigger do you want on a pistol that's in your front pocket pointing at sensitive areas with a round in the chamber? And if the chamber is empty then the pistol may as well have been left at home. Because it's not ready for a situation anyway.
Old February 18, 2018, 07:19 PM   #39
TruthTellers

After I mentioned the Minx, I then remembered that Taurus makes a .22 LR clone of the Beretta tip up barrels. They go for right around $200 and have a long DAO trigger pull. Not only a nice gun to practice point shooting, but also I've been thinking about a pocket .22 pistol for a while. If I see one used for a good price, I'll pick it up.
Old February 18, 2018, 09:34 PM   #40
Onward Allusion

I think it's the recoil and the tiny grip combination that's getting you.
Old February 18, 2018, 09:44 PM   #41
1MoreFord

Like others let me recommend the Hogue HandAll grip. In addition I changed the recoil spring to a Galloway Precision 13# spring. Not my Custom is almost enjoyable to shoot.
Old February 18, 2018, 11:03 PM   #42
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If I really get into carrying the LCP, I wouldn't mind getting a small .22 pistol. I have the SR22 (great pistol btw) but something smaller appeals to me. How about a Beretta Minx? I know the trigger is single action, but if it's just point shooting I'm practicing, I don't think the difference between the triggers will matter. Will it?
I have a Taurus Poly22. Bought it just because I thought it was cool. It is, and has been 100% reliable, and accurate. The big thing that I didn't even consider is that it is very close in ergonomics, sights, and trigger pull to my LCP. So much that it makes for great, low cost practice for shooting the little Ruger 380. The little Ruger still gets shot. But maybe only 25-30 rounds per session instead of 50-100.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 18, 2018, 11:59 PM   #43
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
I have a Taurus Poly22. Bought it just because I thought it was cool. It is, and has been 100% reliable, and accurate. The big thing that I didn't even consider is that it is very close in ergonomics, sights, and trigger pull to my LCP. So much that it makes for great, low cost practice for shooting the little Ruger 380. The little Ruger still gets shot. But maybe only 25-30 rounds per session instead of 50-100.
I reconsidered the Minx as a practice gun for the LCP because it's a single action pistol, while the Taurus is a DAO, which is more like the LCP triggers are.

It's great to hear that they're a close match in ergonomics, I'll definitely buy one in the near future.
Old February 19, 2018, 09:55 AM   #44
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
I reconsidered the Minx as a practice gun for the LCP because it's a single action pistol, while the Taurus is a DAO, which is more like the LCP triggers are.

It's great to hear that they're a close match in ergonomics, I'll definitely buy one in the near future.
Good point on the fact that I would agree that having a 22.cal trainer in double action would be the best. One reason why I also bought the LCR22 to go along with my LCR9.

As far as the other poster that said recoil would have to be the same, I most definitely disagree. With or without the Recoil, you have to be able to come to target quickly with such a short barrel Pistol or revolver. Recoil should not matter as you are going off target anyway. The Point training will teach you to get back on target quickly and naturally. You do not point and shoot like a target gun. You are constantly moving the gun into different positions anyway.

As Far as the OP and in Physical infliction of shoulder pain. Let me say this. After being a competitive runner since high school and later a coach, I became a total believer in stretching exercise's and doing them daily.
I noticed since he posted that I have a similar problem with my shoulders especially when reaching high. I noticed this a few days ago when I was training with the heavier weapon, my 20ga. Pistol grip shotgun.
STRETCH THE ADJOINING MUSCLES.

The muscles from the should like all muscles will be affected by other muscles. Proper stretching can help give more movement to the should muscle. Strecth and these muscles will not pull on the shoulder muscle or tendon/Bursa
Muscles are like SILLY PUTTY If they are not warm, or stretched they become tight and like silly putty will tear or break off with ease. However once the silly putty is warmed you can stretch it better and give a much larger range of movement to the shoulder.
Learn the Proper way to stretch. Breath deeply on the stretch. Stretch the muscles gently at first. Not full range. Just a little, let up and stretch again.
You will be surprised at how much the added range of motion you will have.

I also use small dumbbells build up added support to the long range sessions. SPORT SPECIFIC
Old February 19, 2018, 01:06 PM   #45
1stmar

I enjoy shooting the LCP and like others I find it challenging but rewarding. I use a little bit or skateboard tape or stair tread tape on the front strap and back strap. Makes it much easier to hand on to and doesn't change the profile of the gun. You can pick these up for $179 on occasion, I was actually thinking of getting one just for the range.