The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 25, 2024, 10:29 PM   #26
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
You mean like a HK P7?
I mean like every handgun out there.

Imagine some knowledgeable gun writer or inveterate youtube firearm personality picking up a (1911, Glock, CZ-75, Grand Power K100, Makarov, Luger, Walther PPK, Beretta 92FS, Freedom Arms .454, Ruger LCR, etc.) , having never seen nor heard of the design before (because this is the first one ever made) and writing a review of it.
Quote:
Unfortunately, that will get reliability out of the equation.
Why would it? It's not unheard of for people to do torture tests/reliability tests on new designs.
Old May 25, 2024, 11:43 PM   #27
Hawg

Glock
Old May 26, 2024, 01:09 AM   #28
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin
I’ll send a late vote for the HP.
How this is considered an improvement over the 1911 I’ll never understand.
It wasn't intended as an improvement over the 1911.

Several features of the 1911 design were patented -- and Browning had sold those patents to Colt. When FN hired him to design a new pistol for them, the 1911 patents were still active, so Browning had to work around those patents. Then Browning died, so the design was completed by Dieudonné Saive.
Jeepaholic
Old May 26, 2024, 01:09 AM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
What's the most overrated handgun in your opinion?
IF we take "overrated" to mean the good points are over hyped and the flaws not considered, then yes, I'd put Glock at the top of the list.
Old May 26, 2024, 07:23 AM   #30
PzGren

Interestingly I am happy with Glocks for many decades and shooting over 100k rounds through them.

I also find the FN Grande Puissance a good pistol, especially when considering that the design is almost 90 years old.

I shot a Colt Python in competition for many years and, while I prefer the S&W14, the Colt Python performed excellent.

I had an early CZ75 from the 1980s and the trigger was horrible, the hammer lifted before it fell and a common fix was to use grub screws and limit trigger movement. I have a Sphinx AT2000S and it shows what the CZ75 design can deliver.

I guess that I just like guns in general if they work well and have at least some accuracy potential but I could never warm up to Heckler & Koch very much and the fierce fan boys. Fan boys raving about the accuracy of their guns at the range and then use a B27 and shoot 85% at 7 yards are unfortunately all too common.
Old May 26, 2024, 09:47 AM   #31
The Verminator

Whenever a pistol takes over the market like Glock has........there will be disgruntled folk who are jealous because their favorite handgun has been surpassed.

They will loudly argue and proclaim it's overrated.

However, great popularity is rarely based on false rumors.

Glock is dominant.

BUT.........Glock did run into problems when trying to add the more powerful cartridges to their line--for example the .40 on the 9mm frame.

Some parts were not up to the task........so the Glock superiority took some hits.

I have only 9mms and .45 ACPs in my Glocks so I've had no problems.

Those who tend to want to push the envelope are more likely to see difficulties.
Old May 26, 2024, 09:55 AM   #32
The Verminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Python. Hands down. Popularity purely from aesthetics of the ribbed barrel and/or walking dead.

Trigger is awful. Trigger can't improve because of drop design.

I'm sure I'm wrong though.
You could be wrong.

(About the trigger, I mean.)

I've always heard they had great triggers.

Never could afford one, though. Maybe that's a good thing.

Old May 26, 2024, 01:04 PM   #33
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I’ll send a late vote for the HP.
How this is considered an improvement over the 1911 I’ll never understand.
I have one. I like it.
It was a great pistol in its time.
But it is a dinosaur by today's standards, with sub-optimal ergos and a trigger that can never be great without substantial work. (Something the 1911 also suffers from, and JMB complained about when he was forced to add the grip safety.)
Old May 26, 2024, 01:39 PM   #34
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Whenever a pistol takes over the market like Glock has........there will be disgruntled folk who are jealous because their favorite handgun has been surpassed.
And there are folks who don't give a rodent's posterior what position Glock, or any other item holds in the market sales rankings.

Quote:
However, great popularity is rarely based on false rumors.
(where is the gigglesnort smilie?? )

I thank the Fates I was not drinking anything when I read that line. Thank you for that bit of humor!

If you actually believe great popularity is rarely based on false rumors, you need to take a better look at our culture (and stick to the last century or so to keep the numbers somewhat manageable) and look at politics, the entertainment industry, news reporting, economic "bubbles" and the entire idea of fan worship of people or things.

Quote:
Glock is dominant.
SO??

The OP asked for our opinions, market share doesn't matter to my opinion.
If market dominance is what you base your opinion on, then that's your opinion. I use other criteria to make my own opinions.

As far as I'm concerned, ANY maker of ANY thing who claims their product is "perfection" is overrating their product. No matter how many lemmings follow their lead.

Quote:
Python. Hands down. Popularity purely from aesthetics of the ribbed barrel and/or walking dead.

Trigger is awful.
Are you talking about the original Pythons, or the guns made and sold today under the Python name?? They are NOT the same guns. Though I do agree that the (original) Python has always been overrated, they were fine guns, well made and beautifully finished, but I never felt they were worth the asking price then, and no where near the market price now.
Old May 26, 2024, 04:00 PM   #35
Pumpkin

I’ve never felt an out of the box High Power trigger that was anywhere close to a quality out of the box 1911 A1.
And I’ll take a 1911 grip safety over a HP mag safety any day.
Old May 26, 2024, 04:11 PM   #36
Aguila Blanca
Staff

This was originally posted in the semi-auto handgun discussion area. Since multiple responses have brought revolvers into the discussion, and the thread title didn't specify semi-auto, I have moved it to the General Handgun discussion area.
Jeepaholic
Old May 26, 2024, 04:55 PM   #37
gwpercle

Glock
It just looks so ugly ...
Life's way too short to carry an ugly handgun or drive an ugly car !
Gary
Old May 26, 2024, 05:27 PM   #38
The Verminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
And there are folks who don't give a rodent's posterior what position Glock, or any other item holds in the market sales rankings.

(where is the gigglesnort smilie?? )

I thank the Fates I was not drinking anything when I read that line. Thank you for that bit of humor!

If you actually believe great popularity is rarely based on false rumors, you need to take a better look at our culture (and stick to the last century or so to keep the numbers somewhat manageable) and look at politics, the entertainment industry, news reporting, economic "bubbles" and the entire idea of fan worship of people or things.

SO??

The OP asked for our opinions, market share doesn't matter to my opinion.
If market dominance is what you base your opinion on, then that's your opinion. I use other criteria to make my own opinions.

As far as I'm concerned, ANY maker of ANY thing who claims their product is "perfection" is overrating their product. No matter how many lemmings follow their lead.

Great example.

Old May 26, 2024, 05:30 PM   #39
The Verminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
Glock
It just looks so ugly ...
Life's way too short to carry an ugly handgun or drive an ugly car !
Gary
As my old grandmother used to say when evaluating our girls beaus.........

"Handsome is as handsome does."

Old May 27, 2024, 12:09 AM   #40
Crankylove

Glock.
Old May 27, 2024, 02:11 AM   #41
Hawg

One thing that helps Glocks popularity is because most LEO's carry them. What they don't understand is Glock put in the lowest bid. If Beretta put in the lowest bid that's what LEO's would be carrying and everybody would drop Glock like a hot rock and buy Beretta's. I never liked the looks of Glocks but I bought one once. I grew up shooting single actions and I don't like that long trigger pull. If felt wonky in my hand and point shooting at ten feet it shot about 10 inches high and a couple of inches to the left. Point shooting with a 1911 or a SAA I can hit a doorknob at ten feet point shooting. Sighting in on something I can hit it but the slide was so wide it was like aiming a brick. I got rid of the thing and don't want another one. My wife bought one and sold it after a few months with no derision from me when or after she bought it. I didn't shoot it any better.
Old May 27, 2024, 09:52 AM   #42
The Verminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
One thing that helps Glocks popularity is because most LEO's carry them. What they don't understand is Glock put in the lowest bid.
I don't mind the low price of Glocks either.

As retired military I get an even lower Blue Label price and three mags instead of two.

Happy camper.

(Never liked the Beretta and wouldn't own one even if they gave a discount.)

Old May 27, 2024, 09:55 AM   #43
The Verminator

Speaking of low bids.........

Let us not forget that Sig got the latest U.S. military contract by making the low bid.

Old May 27, 2024, 11:05 AM   #44
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Let us not forget that Sig got the latest U.S. military contract by making the low bid.
Which is the way most contracts work, when everything passes the tests /meets the specified criteria, the low bid wins.

Also note that Glock was rejected, because their submission did not meet the feature requirements of the contract.
Old May 27, 2024, 12:32 PM   #45
bamaranger

Oh my!

I've got to say, the negativity directed towards Glock in this thread is a great surprise. Not at all what I expected. What did I expect?

The 1911. et al, ie all makes and models. Let me say, right off, so as the 'bama family and I are not banished forever, that I like the 1911, for a the ususal reasons. What other semi design, for that matter, how many other designs of any firearm type are so copied, and still in production? I've owned and shot 5 of them. Still own 3. Carry and hunt 2 of them a good bit. The one remaining pistol is an heirloom and collectible and thus retired (1911 ca. 1917).

I must add that what little shooting I've done with the 1917 gun has proved it perhaps the most reliable of the lot. I have not shot ( and will not) shoot it enough to say it's the most reliable. Therein the first issue. Real Colts have always been comparatively expensive, certainly so today. Even the GI pistols sold by the CMP are now pricey. Not all of us can afford to drive BMW's. Otherwise, one must settle for another manufacturer. Take your pick, all the others have fans and detractors. Price usually gets you quality, but not always.

Next criticism, the 1911 has always been a quirky pistol. Magazine (granted all semi pistols are) dependent and most any 1911 shooter will have a collection of magazines which work or don't, and are to expensive to simply discard. You may well have a collection of recoil springs as well, and likely some recoil buffers to protect the frame. You may have a slide release lever or two tweaked to avoid premature slide lock. The pistol, depending on it's pattern, will likely feed ball ammo the best , and may well ONLY feed ball ammo. (.45) All this is part of the 1911 culture.

Finally, the 1911 and it's manual safety creates a more complicated sequence events in presentation than a striker fired or double/single action. Certainly it can be mastered, but certainly not point and shoot either.

The weight, mag capacity, manual safety "complicated" takedown and high part count matter not a wit to me, but certainly does to others.

Again, I LIKE 1911's, do not light the bonfires for me and mine just yet. I like Glocks too (heck if it shoots, I like it). But the striker fired poly pistols seem to dominate the scene these days and the negative responses regards Glocks on this thread surprise me.
Old May 27, 2024, 01:17 PM   #46
veprdude

Desert Eagle. Period.
Old May 27, 2024, 01:19 PM   #47
The Verminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
I've got to say, the negativity directed towards Glock in this thread is a great surprise.
It didn't surprise me.

People always find ways to hate the front runner.

And they make excuses for the underdog that they own even when it's obviously inferior.

It's just human nature.
Old May 27, 2024, 01:54 PM   #48
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
But the striker fired poly pistols seem to dominate the scene these days and the negative responses regards Glocks on this thread surprise me.
I understand, hearing the truth, and opinions that don't follow the herd can be surprising.

I'm a "low speed, high drag operator," the things that the Glock and similar pistols offer are things I don't need, and they don't offer the things I want.

Neither do ALL of the metal framed guns, for that matter. Some do, and those are the ones I like and own.

For me, there is more to handgunning than CCW and self defense. And what dominates the sales charts isn't my highest priority.

This thread asked about my opinion, and I've given it. You shouldn't be surprised that everyone's opinions differ.

Nor should you be surprised that not everyone worships at the altar of striker fired polymer perfection.
Old May 27, 2024, 03:04 PM   #49
tangolima

Glock sucks. The .40 sucks even more. Maybe that's why I like it. The suckiness makes things cheaper.

Enough people disliking it, does it make glock underrated? Don't! Keep it overrated. It sucks butt.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 27, 2024, 04:43 PM   #50
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger
Finally, the 1911 and it's manual safety creates a more complicated sequence events in presentation than a striker fired or double/single action. Certainly it can be mastered, but certainly not point and shoot either.
You say that is if it's a negative.

Anecdotal, to be sure, but on this site and other sites I have read FAR more reports of accidental/negligent discharges with Glocks due to something engaging the trigger while holstering than I have seen or heard reports of such discharges with 1911s.
Jeepaholic
Closed Thread