The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 25, 2024, 10:31 AM   #1
Tool

What's the most overrated handgun in your opinion?

To me it is the CZ P-01. I bought it because of the overwhelming good reviews and the fact that it is on the NATO approved list.

This handgun fits my hand like a glove. However, the good story ends there. In my experience, it is very hard to reliably chamber a bullet into the barrel. The bullets will get stuck in all sorts of ways. It seems like it has a very tight throat. In comparison, I tried all sorts of ways to jam my HK VP9 even by riding the slide, but that thing just never fails.

I took the P-01 to the range and was surprised to see that it cycled ok in live rounds, as long as I could chamber the first bullet successfully. However, I also found something I really dislike about this gun. All the bullet shells would either fall on my head or hit my face. In a few cases, it nearly hit my eyes.

I also find lots of scratches on the slide where it contacts the lower half of the gun. I tried to reach out to CZ about these issues and they never bothered to get back to me.

Last edited by Tool; May 25, 2024 at 11:13 AM.
Old May 25, 2024, 10:41 AM   #2
The Verminator

Consider the possibility that if the reviews are overwhelmingly good......it may just be your gun.

Take it to a good gunsmith.
Old May 25, 2024, 10:52 AM   #3
44caliberkid

Glock
Old May 25, 2024, 11:05 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Quote:
It seems like it has a very tight throat.
It probably does, a short throat is common in CZs. If you are shooting anything but hardball, it will chamber hard or not at all. Reaming for more flexibility in ammo is a common gunsmith operation.
Old May 25, 2024, 11:16 AM   #5
Tool

Many thanks for sharing. I didn't know this can be fixed by chamber reaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
It probably does, a short throat is common in CZs. If you are shooting anything but hardball, it will chamber hard or not at all. Reaming for more flexibility in ammo is a common gunsmith operation.
Old May 25, 2024, 11:25 AM   #6
jmr40

I haven't tried any of the newer models, but back in the 90's I had a couple of CZ 75's. Largely based on the internet fanboys.

I didn't care for them at all. For one thing they had a batch of them get out the door during the 90's with bad springs. After replacing all of the springs in the guns and magazines they were more reliable but I never cared for the design.

The triggers were terrible. I didn't like that the beaver tail curved down and would dig into the web between my thumb and trigger finger when fired and I found the slide inside the frame to be hard to use.

At the time CZ's advertising claimed that they were one of the most used pistols in the world. Further research showed that they were approved to be used in a lot of places, but other than a handful of 3rd world countries almost none were actually issued to LE or military.

At the time they were selling for about 1/2 what a Glock, Sig, Beretta, or Smith were selling for. About the same price as the Ruger's. At those prices I took a chance on them. But the last ones I saw were selling for more than a Glock.

Winston Churchill
Old May 25, 2024, 11:32 AM   #7
Pumpkin

Glock 10mm
Old May 25, 2024, 11:46 AM   #8
MC 1911

Glock
Old May 25, 2024, 11:49 AM   #9
TunnelRat

What's the most overrated handgun in your opinion?

In which country do you live? If it’s the US, call CZ USA. Don’t let them get out of a warranty repair.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:01 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Glock
Jeepaholic
Old May 25, 2024, 01:40 PM   #11
Mike38

The most overrated handgun? Glock. Are Glock's great pistols? Yes they are. But there are dozens, if not scores of handguns out there that are every bit as great.
Old May 25, 2024, 02:18 PM   #12
mk70ss

Glocks
Old May 25, 2024, 02:22 PM   #13
MarkCO

SIG P320.

My counterpoint to those who say Glock...It's not that highly rated except in the durability category.
Old May 25, 2024, 02:36 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Glock

Browning HP
Old May 25, 2024, 03:01 PM   #15
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post

Browning HP
I was trying to think of a pistol I felt this applied to, and this is something I can definitely get behind.
Old May 25, 2024, 04:20 PM   #16
Shotgun Slim

Overrated...

Not trying to be a hater here but when I'm at the range and somebody is having a very bad time with an unreliable semi auto it's usually their shiny expensive Kimber. Been watching this for years( with some amusement and some pity) If they would drop a few bucks out of their advertising budget into QC I think it would put them in a better position.
Old May 25, 2024, 05:08 PM   #17
totaldla

The Hi-power and all variants except the SA-35.
Old May 25, 2024, 07:17 PM   #18
Pumpkin

I’ll send a late vote for the HP.
How this is considered an improvement over the 1911 I’ll never understand.
Old May 25, 2024, 08:45 PM   #19
FITASC

Glock for me as well
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 25, 2024, 08:51 PM   #20
wild cat mccane

Python. Hands down. Popularity purely from aesthetics of the ribbed barrel and/or walking dead.

Trigger is awful. Trigger can't improve because of drop design.

I'm sure I'm wrong though.
Old May 25, 2024, 09:06 PM   #21
Tool

Interesting so many people mentioned Glock. I'm relatively new to the gun world. I remember walking to a local gun store and asking the staff to recommend a good reliable handgun. He said Glock 19. I put it in my hand and knew immediately I am not a fan of their firearms at all. The plastics feel so cheap and poorly designed.
Old May 25, 2024, 09:25 PM   #22
Polinese

Glock. Dislike the design, utterly hate it due to the fanboys
Old May 25, 2024, 09:54 PM   #23
JohnKSa
Staff

An interesting thought experiment is to look at various handguns and try to determine what their popularity would be if they were totally unknown and came on the market today as brand-new designs.
Old May 25, 2024, 10:15 PM   #24
FITASC

Quote:
An interesting thought experiment is to look at various handguns and try to determine what their popularity would be if they were totally unknown and came on the market today as brand-new designs.
You mean like a HK P7?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 25, 2024, 10:29 PM   #25
liv4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
Unfortunately, that will get reliability out of the equation. Good thing is that we live at a time when we can get the best of both worlds: fit/finish and reliability. Here are my favorites:
- HK P30 and VP9
- Walther PDP
- Sig P226

The Glock fanboys only care about reliability and miss so much on the fun factor.
Closed Thread