The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 10, 2019, 08:57 AM   #1
9ballbilly

1911 EDC one year later

In Dec. 2017 I picked up a Para Elite Commander 1911, partly so I was shooting the same platform as my son who got his first handgun (Ruger Nightwatchman commander), and partly in my quest to find a single platform/caliber I could be satisfied with.

This was my first foray into CC'ing a 1911 and the observations I've made during the last year may be worth sharing.

The first thing worth mentioning is that I carry OWB and concealment of a commander size 1911 is surprisingly easy, even here in the deep South. Cargo or jean shorts and a loose t-shirt are all that's needed, along with a good belt.

Some folks have voiced concerns about carrying a single-action pistol cocked and locked. Having carried this way almost daily throughout 2017 I can say that no issues presented. It's also worth noting that I'm a Southpaw and installed an ambi safety on the Para the same week I bought it.

Personally I didn't have any difficulty with the Para's weight, but being all steel I can see the benefit of choosing a lightweight model.

To sum up, I've got no qualms about beginning a second year EDC'ing the 1911 commander. This spring I may even be in the market for a Ruger lightweight version.

Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts on trying a 1911 for CCW.
Old January 10, 2019, 10:14 AM   #2
Fishbed77

I must be too tall. I've never found a t-shirt long enough to adequately conceal OWB, at least to my liking.
Old January 10, 2019, 01:02 PM   #3
MagnumWill

I also second being totally comfortable with Condition 1 carry. My New Agent has been in condition 1 for about 90 percent of its life. The other 10 percent it's been in the safe.
Old January 10, 2019, 01:53 PM   #4
CDW4ME

1911 EDC - me too

I've been carrying for 25 years.
Started out with 38 snub / Mustang 380 - early 1990's
Moved up to Glock 26/27 then moved up to Glock 23/30
Couple years ago began carrying 2nd pistol in pocket (started with 380, up to Kahr PM9, up to..) I can put my hand on it without revealing I'm carrying.
I've never "needed" a single bullet.
I avoid "bad areas"
A couple years ago I (begrudgingly) discovered that a 1911 is the most comfortable for me IWB (~3:00) more so than the higher capacity Glocks I own.

That ^ background is relevant when I post my current EDC:
All this:

Even (including) when walking the dog a couple miles here (summer attire):

Or here:
Old January 10, 2019, 01:59 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Quote:
I must be too tall. I've never found a t-shirt long enough to adequately conceal OWB, at least to my liking.
Duluth Trading Co. Longtail Tees are 3" longer and might do the job.
Old January 10, 2019, 04:14 PM   #6
zeke

Since retirement, been carrying a Ruger lght commander. Have several carrying 1911's, and switched the safety's to old school small style (not original 1911 military). The only problem ever had was one safety was too light, and too much leverage provided by the extended safety. Carry with a hybrid iwb at 3 oclock with FBI tilt. While the "tilt" involves minor hand adjustment to draw, it conceals the grip better for me.

2 mags on off side, suspenders under untucked collared/buttoned checkered shirt. Lightweight cotton in summer and heavier shirt in winter.
Old January 10, 2019, 06:42 PM   #7
Steve in Allentown,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Duluth Trading Co. Longtail Tees are 3" longer and might do the job.
Thanks for the heads-up. I put a few of these on my birthday wish list so my wife can "surprise" me.

I've carried concealed since the early '70s. My experience has been that Government Models get very heavy after a while. When carrying these in shoulder holsters for an extended period of time, my shoulders would ache and I couldn't wait to take the thing off. In the waistband was better but my back would hurt after a long day of carrying. Finally went to a belt holster which eliminated the discomfort although it precipitated the need to go clothes shopping.

In my old age I've mostly given up carrying 5" steel 1911s and now carry an Officers Model, CCO, or Commander (all aluminum frames) depending on my clothing. Compared to the steel pistols these aluminum ones are the ultimate in comfortable carry.

In my opinion, the thinness of the 1911 compared to the various hi-cap pistols of today give it the edge in concealability and comfort depending on body shape and dimensions.
Old January 13, 2019, 07:51 AM   #8
CDW4ME

I more often than not carry a 10mm 1911 rather than the 45 acp I posted in reply #4
Old January 13, 2019, 08:34 AM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

My first CC pistol was a gov't model 1911. I carried it IWB in a Theis holster for a few years. IMHO, the 1911 presents a nice, slim profile with a lot of rounded edges, which is good for carry. It's heavy, though. That was really the deciding factor that made me switch. If you don't mind the weight, a 1911 makes a great carry pistol. Personally, I've always liked the idea of a polymer 1911, but it does not seem to be an idea that has caught on, nor have I ever seen where someone has really put one through its paces to test reliability.

(Are you listening, Rock River? Just send me a Poly 1911 and I'll gladly wring it out and write it up!)
Old January 13, 2019, 09:49 PM   #10
claydoctor

I am among those not comfortable with Condition One and wonder if ambi safeties don't double the chances of the thumb safety being accidentally wiped off
Old January 13, 2019, 10:09 PM   #11
Schlitz 45

ClayDr, I carry an officer’s 1911 and even if the thumb safety were to get accidentally wiped off it would still safer than many striker guns, with its grip safety & use of good trigger discipline.

Last edited by Schlitz 45; January 13, 2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old January 13, 2019, 10:37 PM   #12
Sharkbite

Quote:
wonder if ambi safeties don't double the chances of the thumb safety being accidentally wiped off
More then double. Picture a right handed shooter, pistol at 3:00. An ambi safety sticks off the exposed side
Old January 14, 2019, 01:28 PM   #13
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydoctor View Post
I am among those not comfortable with Condition One and wonder if ambi safeties don't double the chances of the thumb safety being accidentally wiped off
Pressure required to disengage thumb safety can be increased so that it is very "positive" - aint getting swiped off accidentally.
Some 1911's (Ruger) come with a kinked plunger tube spring, it is done intentionally to keep the spring from flying out, but it (kink) also reduces force.
Replacing plunger tube spring with a new (unkinked) spring increases pressure on the thumb safety; also, a small detent can be made (Dremel) on the thumb safety so that disengagement requires increased force.

None of my 1911's have an ambi thumb safety.

Glock striker is "pre-cocked" (partially cocked) you just can't see it.
The Springfield XD series was fully cocked (unless that has been changed) when a round chambered, you just can't see it.

Seeing a cocked hammer is discomforting to some, my wife never liked "cocked & locked" until she got a 9mm Ruger CMD 1911 - it is her carry pistol now.
Old January 29, 2019, 11:17 PM   #14
shurshot

Condition 1, for me, in a 1911A1, is FAR safer than striker fired Glocks, S&W MP's, etc. Those trigger pulls are too light in the polymer guns. I have seen far too many accidental discharges with striker fired weapons.
Old January 30, 2019, 02:07 PM   #15
scottycoyote

i sometimes carry a sig938, sometimes a kimber pro carry. I really wish the sig had the grip safety, i feel a little weird carrying it condition one with just a safety (its mental but its there).
The kimber is light, ive found the 4inch barrel is what i dont like about carrying it (iwb at 4oclock with a cant). Im going to pick up a 3inch one day (defender, emp, etc) and try again
Old January 30, 2019, 04:47 PM   #16
IdaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz 45 View Post
ClayDr, I carry an officer’s 1911 and even if the thumb safety were to get accidentally wiped off it would still safer than many striker guns, with its grip safety & use of good trigger discipline.
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the 70 series 1911's lack a firing pin block? Not having that would make me a bit nervous, grip safety or not.

I do get the notion that people might be more prone to being nervous around a cocked 1911 because it is visibly cocked. My M&P pistols are fully cocked too, you just can't see it visibly.
Old January 30, 2019, 05:41 PM   #17
tipoc

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the 70 series 1911's lack a firing pin block? Not having that would make me a bit nervous, grip safety or not.
With an extra power firing pin spring and a light firing pin the standard GM is a safe gun to carry. This issue has always been the possibility of the firing pin striking the primer if the gun was dropped on the muzzle and inertia let the pin fly forward. A rare accident. Just don't drop it on the muzzle and the possibility is non existent.

The Colt Series 80 firing pin, or Kimber's version of the Schwartz safety that operates off the grip safety, eliminates the threat of a UD entirely.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old January 30, 2019, 09:37 PM   #18
Leaf

I carried a Colt 1911 Commander (.45 of course) for several years as a police officer while off duty and never thought of it as being heavy or inconvenient. (And yes I still love those pistols). Unless of course I was wearing REALLY light clothing in summer desert heat kind of crap. And let me tell you, back then the pickings for decent high concealment pistols/revolvers were slim. But that was then, things have changed a lot, for the better! I still love the smaller 1911's at least in Commander or officer's sizes. But I'm totally blown away by a lot of the new stuff. I never was totally married to .45 for concealed weapon choice and I have seen what well placed nine's can do. We, or at least I know, I would have provided a left nut or naked pictures of my/our wives back then to be able to carry something like a Sig P365 with laser when plain clothes. And yes, that weapon IS a lot lighter, FAR more concealable than a Commander, and packs a lot of accurate punch.
Old February 2, 2019, 06:35 AM   #19
silvermane_1

I been EDCing IWB my SR1911 CMD for years "cocked & locked" and never had the safety disingauged, also there not much worry unless by some strange circumstances the grip safety also becomes disingauged.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c

Last edited by silvermane_1; February 5, 2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old February 4, 2019, 09:11 AM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

The only 1911s I've actually carried for a few months at a time have been the TRP and Smith and Wesson 1911 E-Series commander. Both or which are my favorite 1911s.

Don't have anymore 1911s... Kind of want another.
Old February 4, 2019, 10:51 PM   #21
kenny53

I carry a full size 1911 cocked and locked. My IWB holster covers the safety so it would be very hard knock the safety off.
Old February 5, 2019, 04:46 PM   #22
1MoreFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
My first CC pistol was a gov't model 1911. I carried it IWB in a Theis holster for a few years. IMHO, the 1911 presents a nice, slim profile with a lot of rounded edges, which is good for carry. It's heavy, though. That was really the deciding factor that made me switch. If you don't mind the weight, a 1911 makes a great carry pistol. Personally, I've always liked the idea of a polymer 1911, but it does not seem to be an idea that has caught on, nor have I ever seen where someone has really put one through its paces to test reliability.

(Are you listening, Rock River? Just send me a Poly 1911 and I'll gladly wring it out and write it up!)

I don't have one but if you *almost* like 1911's for carry let me suggest you try a lightweight commander. Lighter and smaller and thus easier carry.

IMO an even better metal carry pistol is a Browning HP. I Do have one of these that's been thru the C&S shop. Thinner than a 1911 with more capacity. I bought one for carry but have since reconsidered since I like it so much and the replacement cost is more than I can afford these days. An even nicer option is the lightweight short slide version but then even more costly(and rare) these days.

These days I'm relegated to carrying tupperware pistols.

Last edited by 1MoreFord; February 5, 2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old February 5, 2019, 09:24 PM   #23
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
I don't have one but if you *almost* like 1911's for carry let me suggest you try a lightweight commander. Lighter and smaller and thus easier carry.

IMO an even better metal carry pistol is a Browning HP. I Do have one of these that's been thru the C&S shop. Thinner than a 1911 with more capacity. I bought one for carry but have since reconsidered since I like it so much and the replacement cost is more than I can afford these days. An even nicer option is the lightweight short slide version but then even more costly(and rare) these days.

These days I'm relegated to carrying tupperware pistols.
Believe me, I would LOVE to have a lightweight commander. And a BHP. Unfortunately, my budget will now allow either without selling something (or a couple of somethings).
Old February 6, 2019, 05:10 PM   #24
Dave T

I carried one model of Colt 1911 (Government, Commander, Officer's ACP) or other from April of 1974 until about the year 2000 when the arthritis in my shooting hand thumb made it impossible to shoot/practice with that design.

In the '70s and '80s I often carried a Commander stuck down in my waist band butt forward (they used to call that Border Carry). I never worried about my weapons being cocked-n-locked. I never swiped, bumped or otherwise disengaged the thumb safety.

In the '90s I got a Wilson KZ-45 Commander. It was a polymer framed 1911 with a 9 round magazine. Loved that gun and carried it to about 2000 or so.

If my hands weren't swollen with arthritis I'd probably still carry some form of 1911, probably that KZ-45, and it would be cocked-n-locked.

Dave
Old February 14, 2019, 12:51 AM   #25
AERacing1813

edc my Ruger sr1911 IWB 3 o'clock 365 days a year without issue