The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 31, 2018, 12:05 PM   #26
sirgilligan

Yes I do. I wrote an app to do it. I started out documenting a semi-auto that was malfunctioning. I needed a log so I could track the ammo, the magazines, etc trying to diagnose the problem. I did it on paper of course, but as a programmer I decided to make me a range log for iPod touch. That was a long time ago now.Once I made the app it was obvious that it was a log book of firearms and ammo as well so I made the app do a bit more for inventory, and specifically the ability to generate PDF or just plain PNG image reports for a firearm so that I could print it and put it in a safe place.

Then the ones that just use it as a range log complained, "I don't want to enter my serial number!". For some reason it seems that some people can't stand to leave out information on a form! But you can enter as little or as much as you want, nothing is required. And it does not use cloud storage (unless you backup your entire iOS device to the cloud) so your data is only on the one device. If you want to move your data from an iPhone to an iPad you have to plug them into a computer and do a file transfer.
Old December 31, 2018, 07:09 PM   #27
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by M88 View Post
Agree that it's always a good idea to put a COPY of your vid, pic or Word file containing your gun information (or any other important info) in whatever media, be it portable hard drive, thumb drive or even a little SD card... in another place other than your house. Personally I don't like the idea of keeping it in my car because a brick through a window and they potentially have all my info. Even if it's encrypted, that has proven to not be foolproof protection. A buddy of mine put all his gun information and house contents on a thumb drive, wrapped it it plastic sealed against water, put that in a small jar and sealed that with wax, and buried it in his back yard. THAT would work but sheeeesh, why go to all that trouble? At least until the apocalypse (oh NO!) an easy very reliable place is the cloud. Many are free for the first couple GB of storage, which is way plenty for storing gun info, even if it's a short vid of the contents of your house. Dropbox is one that I use, 2GB are free. You can then access all your gun info and everything else from any computer or smartphone anywhere there is WiFi or cell service. I still do keep a physical copy of it on a thumb drive in one of my my gun safes where it's protected by fire to a point. I update it every month or so, or when I have a large purchase or new gun. Yup that can be little hassle, but for me it's peace of mind. As per my original post, I was wondering how many gun owners do this or something similar.
What are the odds that someone will break into your car, find an unmarked thumb drive, open it and find your gun information on it. Even if they did, what good would it do them? Hopefully, you have your guns secure from anyone breaking into your house. Odds are that if you are home, a fire would not burn it to the ground and if you are not at home, the odds are that you will be in your car. Besides, if your home is totally burned, you have the evidence of ownership of the guns because the serial number will be on the burned barrels.
Old January 1, 2019, 07:21 AM   #28
KyJim

I made a customized database to inventory my firearms and then expanded it to include tracking magazines used in each gun and malfunctions in each gun/magazine (this is primarily for 1911s). I include a photo of each gun and back up the data to a thumb drive. I've been meaning to back it up to a cloud drive but need to invest in a larger cloud drive.
Old January 1, 2019, 06:01 PM   #29
M88

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk
What are the odds that someone will break into your car, find an unmarked thumb drive, open it and find your gun information on it. Even if they did, what good would it do them?
Depending on where you live and where you have to leave your car parked, probably pretty slim. Could they do something with that gun data even if they do put a brick through my window and find that thumb drive? Some of us live in the city where a car is blocks away on a back street with little or no lighting. Not as "slim" as somebody in a gated community or who lives on a farm. The real danger is that if it does get broken into they now have your address from the registration in the glove box. If they do find the thumb drive and look at it, they now have valuable information from a criminal perspective. They now know where lots of guns are all in one spot. Something they could potentially pass on to other criminals. They may not think that the guns are in a safe that the average criminal couldn't get into, they just know that in THAT house there are many guns to steal and sell for serious money on the black market. A target I would rather not anybody I don't know, know. Unless I lived on a farm somewhere out in rural country, that's not a chance I'm willing to take unless I have to, and therefor I don't. Simple as that.
Old January 2, 2019, 08:29 AM   #30
unclejack37

Yes, photos and information on each gun is a good idea. I have a couple of personal computers and I have a copy of pictures and gun ID on each along with hard copies in a safe locations. Between home owners insurance and the NRA I think as long as I can prove ownership I will be reimbursed if lost or stolen.
Old January 2, 2019, 11:13 AM   #31
AmmunitionDepot

I have always just kept an inventory of my personal firearms, but this is a really good additional precaution. I need to start taking some pictures.
Old January 2, 2019, 11:45 AM   #32
osbornk

Quote:
Depending on where you live and where you have to leave your car parked, probably pretty slim. Could they do something with that gun data even if they do put a brick through my window and find that thumb drive? Some of us live in the city where a car is blocks away on a back street with little or no lighting. Not as "slim" as somebody in a gated community or who lives on a farm. The real danger is that if it does get broken into they now have your address from the registration in the glove box. If they do find the thumb drive and look at it, they now have valuable information from a criminal perspective. They now know where lots of guns are all in one spot. Something they could potentially pass on to other criminals. They may not think that the guns are in a safe that the average criminal couldn't get into, they just know that in THAT house there are many guns to steal and sell for serious money on the black market. A target I would rather not anybody I don't know, know. Unless I lived on a farm somewhere out in rural country, that's not a chance I'm willing to take unless I have to, and therefor I don't. Simple as that.
I'm sure there are criminals that break into cars, take the time to dig through glove boxes, consoles and door pockets to steal unmarked thumb drives, then take them to a computer to see what is on them so they can go to your house where the address is on the registration card and steal your guns.
Old January 2, 2019, 02:50 PM   #33
ChasHam

Quote:
.....So I photocopy all gun receipts to a file, which then gets put in a folder in the cloud. I also take several pics of each gun, including one of the serial number, and store them in the cloud also.
I keep a detailed encrypted firearms record too- plus an off-premises backup. But I've always been skittish about putting important personal info in "the cloud".

Seems a week doesn't go by without reports of this or that big company's servers being breached and tons of confidential personal data stolen.
Old January 2, 2019, 04:34 PM   #34
M88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasHam
Seems a week doesn't go by without reports of this or that big company's servers being breached and tons of confidential personal data stolen.
I hear that, and as an electronics tech for 30 years working where I had to deal with IT people every day, hearing as seeing how vulnerable these systems CAN be, I also was squeamish and didn't trust any server located God knows where that was not under my complete control. After talking a few years ago with an IT guy who manages a pretty large investment company however, I felt a little better about it. Of course all HIS stuff is super encrypted. My stuff is just password protected, but he convinced me that these days, most major cloud services like Google, Apple or DropBox are pretty dang safe. You are umpteen orders of magnitude more likely to have YOUR computer hacked into to get to that data. Also, any criminal element that is sophisticated enough to break into THOSE major cloud services is NOT going to bother with some guys gun information, they're after much more lucrative targets. These multi-national companies have billions at stake, and have some very serous security, which because they have to stay on top of things, is continually being improved. THAT said... sure... nothing short of a single, not backed up anywhere, physical file locked in a heavy safe that only you have the combo to, is absolutely 100% safe.
Old January 4, 2019, 07:48 PM   #35
OneFreeTexan

On my IPad, I use an app “Gun Log SPC”. I think it only cost a couple bucks, has room for everything including how the gun has been maintained, shot, cleaned, etc,....pricing,,,,seems like everything one needs to know, and yes, room for lots of pictures.

I do like the OP’s picture with the ammo to be used in the gun,,, good idea, and the ruler in the picture is good too. If you’re going to take a picture do it up right,