The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 1, 2019, 04:08 PM   #1
ChasHam

CMP South Store and Talladega Marksmanship Park

Was driving west on I-20 across Alabama this past Saturday and thought I'd check out the CMP South store in Anniston and the Talladega Marksmanship Park.

The store is only open Thursday thru Saturday and I didn't have any trouble finding it as it's just off the interstate in Anniston. Bummed to find out though that it was closed Christmas week! Didn't see any windows to peek through either...

Drove further down the interstate and found the Marksmanship Park located just south of the Talladega Super Speedway.

Nicest shooting facility I've ever seen. Hundreds of well-tended acres, multiple ranges for just about any kind of shooting and a huge comfortable, well-appointed clubhouse that compares favorably with the finest golf or country club.

Plus it had a small shop with accessories of all sorts and racks of fantastic M1 Garands that you could heft, shoulder, sight, and then smell that wonderful old gun scent on your hands after you put one down.

You gotta' be a member of a CMP affiliated club or association to buy guns or ammo-- but anyone can shoot at the Marksmanship Park. I did think the fees were a bit pricey though.

Last edited by ChasHam; January 1, 2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old January 1, 2019, 07:09 PM   #2
ChasHam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centuriator View Post
For that kind of state-of-the-art facility, $30 a day is a bargain.
Mebbe so- but it sounds like you're more flush than I am. Most of my trigger time involves heading off into some nearby woods!
Old January 1, 2019, 07:16 PM   #3
MarkCO

Shooting on the electronic scoring systems is worth the coin. Been there a few times to run matches, great place.