The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 14, 2019, 11:51 AM   #1
Goose1960

Flintlock

When I tilt my flintlock my powder falls out of my pan. How can I adjust the frizzen to be a tighter seal so this doesn't happen?

Last edited by Goose1960; January 14, 2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old January 14, 2019, 12:47 PM   #2
maillemaker

Well, I have never had a flinter, but it's a fairly simple mechanical device. If the mating surfaces are not planar with one another then they will not make a good seal (of course). Check to see if a part is bent, or perhaps some parts need to be filed to make a good fit.

Steve
Old January 14, 2019, 12:58 PM   #3
horseman308

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
Well, I have never had a flinter, but it's a fairly simple mechanical device. If the mating surfaces are not planar with one another then they will not make a good seal (of course). Check to see if a part is bent, or perhaps some parts need to be filed to make a good fit.

Steve
This.

Make sure the rim of the pan and the underside of the frizzen are completely flush when closed. Smear some inletting black or candle soot on one, close them together, and open them. You should see black on the other where they meet and nothing where there is space. Gently stone the faces a little a time, and repeat the process until you get full contact all the way around.

The other thing to check is whether the frizzen spring is strongly holding the frizzen closed. If there is any flop, it might be opening a little.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old January 14, 2019, 02:07 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

I suspect it'll depend on what brand of rifle you have.
As mentioned, the frizzen spring may just be worn, loose or damaged.
Old January 14, 2019, 04:08 PM   #5
eastbank

the L&R lock on my RMC flint has the frizzen inleted into the pan and it realy keeps the pan powder in the pan, no matter how much you the rifle around.
Old January 16, 2019, 04:57 PM   #6
bladesmith 1

Horseman hit the nail on the head. Take the lock out and looking at it from the barrel side, hold it up to a light and see if you can see any coming through between the frizzen and pan. You can also use lipstick if you don't have anything else. Good luck.
Old January 16, 2019, 11:25 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Sealing a pan & frizzen so not to spill-out its priming charge?
I'm careful about the different positions of tipping I put my rifle in when afield. On those rainy times when hunting {walking from here to there for a look see} thru wet foliage I use a cows knee to keep my rifles priming charge bone dry. As far as a old school or new school way to eliminate a spill-out situation?
A simple check of the pan occasionally? >re-prime when necessary is my only suggestion.
Old January 17, 2019, 04:27 PM   #8
l.cutler

That is one of my pet peeves about some of the "over the counter" flintlocks. You should be able to hold it upside down, shake it, whatever and not lose any prime.
Old January 19, 2019, 07:47 AM   #9
horseman308

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.cutler View Post
That is one of my pet peeves about some of the "over the counter" flintlocks. You should be able to hold it upside down, shake it, whatever and not lose any prime.
Yup. I good lock, like any of Chambers, will not have this problem. I've seen them fire upside down, though I really have no reason to try that myself.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old January 19, 2019, 08:52 PM   #10
snubnose57

I have one that looses 4F powder in the pan, as said. I just used the 2F from the main horn as prime, never had that leak out. Could not tell any difference between powders , both fired with no problem. Still need to fix it though.
Old January 20, 2019, 08:40 PM   #11
freedom475

I used to think mine was spilling out too. Even went so far as to completely seal my pan with bees wax!! Still had no prime powder in my pan after a few miles!

Obvious discovery was that the "patent breech" was swallowing my 4ffff prime as I traveled.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."

Last edited by freedom475; January 20, 2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old January 22, 2019, 12:27 PM   #12
Stubert

Your prime might be under the barrel. If the lock is not tight against the barrel, the 4f could migrate between them into the stock. Could be dangerous.
Old January 22, 2019, 06:23 PM   #13
bladesmith 1

Must of been quite a area not being filled with powder for it all to go in a patent breech.
Old January 23, 2019, 11:20 AM   #14
freedom475

Yeah my Pedersoli Jaeger will eat a couple pans of 4f.

I now load and prime all my rifles with 3f.. now I can just hunt and my guns goes bang. (almost every time,,lol)

4f makes way better revolver powder anyway, so I now buy it by the case for the revolvers, but 4f doesn't go in my flintlock pans anymore.

It sure would be bad news if 4f made its way under the lock/barrel!

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old January 24, 2019, 04:55 PM   #15
jaguarxk120

The lock should be tight against the barrel so powder does not spill into the lock works or under the barrel.

Also, how big are your touch holes ? Powder should not be able to flow into the breach.