The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 15, 2009, 07:02 PM   #1
sammy550

Bought a gun in FL in 1993 and have since lost the receipt and moved to another state

Am in situation where I have to prove to authorities in LA that I actually bought and own the gun.

Without the receipt how would I get proof that I was the original purchaser and get evidence of such. I tried calling the local dealer I thought I bought it from but he was no help whatsoever. I do have the serial number.

Need this info pretty soon to avoid some trouble. Any help or guidance is appreciated.
Old March 15, 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
no1_gun

Getting proof of purchase

Was it a new gun purchase? If so the gun had paperwork with it. Usually there is card to be send in to gun manufacturer so to be it registered for the warranty. If you filled it out and sent it in they may have record of it. Worth a try. The only recourse is the dealer . Sad thing is I never send in those registration cards myself but don't plan leaving Virginia anytime soon.
Old March 15, 2009, 08:19 PM   #3
sammy550

Thanks, that is my next step

Thanks for the info.

I saw where the manufacturer went out of business and was bought again (Jennings). I sent them an email requesting the info cause I can't remember if I sent the registration card in....In addition I think I located the dealer but their phone is disconnected...LOL

Also we bought 3 guns that day and I know it had to be reported to the ATF. Only law enforcement can contact ATF. If I ask law enforcement to do it will they?
Old March 15, 2009, 08:48 PM   #4
divemedic

Let me guess- A Louisiana cop confiscated your pistol and said you cannot have it back unless you can prove it is yours.

I have heard of this scam. Contact the NRA.
Old March 15, 2009, 08:53 PM   #5
IZinterrogator

Congratulations, you fell for the oldest trick in Louisiana

Get in touch with TFL member NRAhab, he did an interview of the author of The Great New Orleans Gun Grab a few weeks back. He can probably give you the author's contact info and the author can direct you how to get your gun back, no receipt required. Also get in touch with the NRA as divemedic suggested. In the future, demand to have a supervisor present for the gun confiscation in the future and record it with your cell phone memo function or a digital video camera or something. They will realize they are messing with the wrong guy.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old March 16, 2009, 07:13 PM   #6
sammy550

Thank you all for your input

I appreciate it. Wish me luck!
Old March 16, 2009, 07:34 PM   #7
teeroux

Just out of curiosity if you don't mind sharring what parish and jurisdiction.

FYI they are just supposed to run the number to see if it is stolen no proof of purchase is required threaten them with legal action and they will fold.
Old March 16, 2009, 08:10 PM   #8
Storm52

I have guns that were purchased 30 years ago and in different states where I resided. I may still have the receipts for 4 or 5 and doubt if I could find those. Unless LE suspects the gun was used in a crime or was stolen, I don't see how proof of purchase is relative.
Old March 17, 2009, 01:26 AM   #9
Ben Towe

There is no legal reason for him to confiscate the gun provided we're being told the whole story. If he wished to run it through NCIC then that would have taken only moments (I routinely have it done on guns I get by an officer I'm friendly with). I'd threaten them with lawsuits and big teams of NRA lawyers if they didn't give it back right fast, and if they don't, follow through and sue them into next year.
Old March 17, 2009, 05:02 AM   #10
maestro pistolero

Excuse me, but shouldn't THEY have to prove it's stolen, not the other way around? [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? Next we'll have to carry receipts around for our watches, cell phones, jewelry, etc.

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?
Old March 17, 2009, 10:14 AM   #11
Croz

Quote:
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to apply in many cases where EVIL!!!! guns are involved.
Old March 17, 2009, 11:21 AM   #12
lomaxanderson

Damn Shame

...they took it cause you couldn't prove you bought it? That's crazy...I travel to La. often ,my home town, and have never heard of this...I'll call my sister at lunch and see ...She is a Ouachita parish sherrif deputy...They need to be held to the fire if this is commonplace...SUE,SUE,SUE
So how many people carry their reciept with the gun you are carring?:barf:

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old March 17, 2009, 11:35 AM   #13
lomaxanderson

update

...What they are supposed to do is run the serial number and if it doesn't come back stolen then they have NO basis for seazure ...You are getting railroaded...sounds to me like the officer REALLY liked your gun...you should contact a lawyer...Don't Let Them Run Over You...IF I can be of assistance let me know by Pm and I will find out what attorney hates the DA the most,Good Luck

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old March 17, 2009, 12:20 PM   #14
huufarted

If you bought it from a Dealer...

If you bought it from a Dealer they are required by law to keep 2 pieces of evidence you bought the gun from them. Firstly the Dealer recorded it in their "Bound Book" which they are required to keep on the premises. Secondly you had to complete and sign a Form 4473 "yellow sheet' at the time of sale which the Dealer must also keep.

Since the Police have the gun now and you have told the truth perhaps its time to "photoshop" a receipt for it if the gun dealer cant be compelled to help you. I would suggest calling the ATF in the Dealers location to try and get the Dealer to "own' that gun.

You could also provide a hand written Bill of Sale and tell the LA cops that you were mistaken about getting it from a Dealer. Pick the name of a long dead uncle for the person who originally purchased it and have a friend write the receipt so the handwriting is different.

Doing this leaves them with the only way to disprove your story which is to get the Dealer to provide the records...

good luck, huuf
Old March 18, 2009, 02:14 PM   #15
teeroux

Quote:
Quote:
I travel to La. often ,my home town, and have never heard of this...
This is very common in Jeff Davis parish's sheriff Ricky Edwards Highway seizure brigade.
Old March 18, 2009, 02:28 PM   #16
mnhntr

I believe there is more to this story than we know of. I hope you get your gun back and i would call a lawyer as much as i think they are the root of all evil.