The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 21, 2009, 09:08 PM   #1
tully_mars

Guided Elk Hunt advice and .300 win mag range report

Ok, I need some recommendations of a guides for elk hunts in the fall next year and which state is the best to go to. What I really want is great adventure, a horse back trip into the mountains or something. My uncle did this when I was a kid once and the stories from it always made it something I wanted to do.

Ok, in preparation this year I upgraded from a .270 win to a .300 win mag for a little more umph for the bigger game. This board had me all freaked out that the .300 win mag would have terrible recoil. Actually I didn't think it was a big deal at all. Got it sighted in no problem.

My .300 win mag rifle is a Remington 700 XCR. Great rifle! Definitely no 2nd thoughts.

TM
Old January 21, 2009, 09:23 PM   #2
HAMMER1DOWN

I would recomend the states of Colorado and Montana in the rockies i have a lot of friends who went on do-it-yourself-hunts in Colorado and loved it. But i live here in Montana and through all of my hunts i have never hunted elk but have seen a ton hunting bears and stuff
Old January 21, 2009, 09:25 PM   #3
MeekAndMild

The folks I know say that if you can shoot an arrow this is the best way to hunt elk. Mostly the rut is gone by the start of gun season. One day I hope to get there to see for myself.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 21, 2009, 10:18 PM   #4
kmrcstintn

sorry we freaked you out, but to some of us a .300 Win Mag or .300 Win Short Mag is ALOT of recoil; I jumped from a lever action .30-30 to a Tikka T3 Hunter in .300 Win Mag and it rocked me hard with Winchester 150gr Super-X softpoints; at the time I wasn't aware of such things like muzzle brakes and upgraded recoil pads, so I stupidly let it go;

two years later, I get a Remington 700 SPS in .300 WSM w/ muzzle brake and R3 Remington Limbsaver recoil pad; still not a joy to shoot, but hit me less than the stock Tikka; felt like a stiff .308 or .30-06;

on a sidebar, I recently shot a friend's custom built rifle in 7mm Remington Ultra Mag; he had this thing built like a tank...20 lbs worth!!! still felt like a mid .308 or .30-06; I would hate to think how it would feel as a stock hunting rifle!!!
Old January 21, 2009, 11:33 PM   #5
Waterengineer

Tully:

1. a 270 has killed plenty of elk

2. You need to start finguring out a hunt NOW for CO, WY or MT. There is a lot to know and do especially if you are from AL and have never been out west. You need to figure out and area. That will direct you to guides if you want to go that way or to maps/etc. of you are a do-it-yourselfer.

3. FYI-this is no longer the cheap endevor it once was - so start gathering your nickels.

4. I lived, worked, hunted, fished CO, WY, MT for 27 years IM me if you want ideas.

kmrc:

I have both a 270 and a 7mm RUM. After a trip to Canada where I thought I wanted plenty of power the 7mm RUM sees lots and lots of time in the safe.
I pick up the 270 every time. The 7mm RUM definitely gets your attention.

In fact, I have tried to get rid of the 7mm RUM several times and I can't get anyone to take it.
Old January 22, 2009, 09:04 AM   #6
elkman06

Better jump on the application bandwagon. Some states like Wyo require that you apply for most permits in January.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old January 22, 2009, 09:10 AM   #7
fisherman66

Don't forget NM. My folks had a crowned elk chew up their flower bed.
Old January 22, 2009, 03:11 PM   #8
levrluvr

a friend of mine went to New Mexico a couple of years ago for an elk hunt and was very pleased.
Old January 22, 2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Huntergirl

Big Sandy Lodge, Wyoming. They have rustic cabins and an outfitter that will get you to elk. Nice area, pleasant folks.
Another one is South fork Lodge in the Big horn Mtns, Wyoming. Nice upgraded cabins, and the guide and his wife owns the Lodge.