The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 21, 2019, 09:00 PM   #1
Skarekrow88

dry-firing Beretta Tomcat when gun goes empty?

I recently picked up a Tomcat from my LGS and I couldn't be more pleased with the pistol (except for the price it costs to feed it) and I was surprised how pleasant and fun it is to shoot.

I know I'm not supposed to feed the little guy with anything over 130ft/lbs of muzzle energy per the warning/notice that comes in the box (which I plan to abide by) and that you are also not supposed to dry-fire it without snapcaps/spent casings per the manual which leads me to why I am making this post.

When I shoot handguns (per how I was taught and what works for me) I focus on two things and two things only: Front sight and trigger manipulation. Therefore I do not count my rounds and unless the pistol I am shooting locks back/open on the last round then I don't know that its empty until I pull the trigger and get a "click" instead of a "bang". So since the Tomcat doesn't have that last round hold open feature I am dry-firing it at the end of every magazine.

My question/s: Does doing this have me on a crash course with a prematurely broken firing pin? I've read instances where some claimed it did for them but they never disclosed exactly how much dry-firing was done. Should I just go ahead and get myself a spare firing pin and/or start making it a point to count my rounds when shooting my Tomcat or is this a negligible amount of dry-firing? I really love shooting the thing and plan to take it to the range a decent amount so any advice will be appreciated.
Old October 21, 2019, 09:08 PM   #2
JERRYS.

an occasional click on an empty chamber should not damage a quality built modern centerfire handgun.
Old October 22, 2019, 10:06 AM   #3
hammie

I totally agree with "JERRYS.". However, it sounds like you will be firing on an empty chamber more than occasionally. I have a similar beretta 21A (.25 ACP) with the same dry firing warning. Even though the magazine holds more, at the range I load 5 in the magazine and one in the tip up barrel. I find that I can keep track of six shots fired pretty easily. Of course in a self defense situation, it's a full magazine and no one is counting.

If I were you, at the range I would count my shots, and then tip up the barrel.
Old October 22, 2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Kilibreaux

Another thought would be to just buy a spare firing pin now and dry fire to your heart's content. Then report how many thousand times you dry fired it before the pin broke!

I doubt you have much to worry about considering the thousands of Tomcats and it's virtual "twin" little brother which uses the same style of slide and probably the same firing pin and I don't remember ever having read about a broken firing pin. A lot of people are shooting these guns and you have to figure most of them drop the hammer on an empty chamber at least once at the end of every magazine.
Old October 22, 2019, 10:12 PM   #5
JERRYS.

load a dummy round in the magazine first, then load the rest. this will ensure your last trigger pull will be on a dummy round instead of a "dry fire".
Old October 23, 2019, 12:47 AM   #6
Carmady

"load a dummy round in the magazine first, then load the rest. this will ensure your last trigger pull will be on a dummy round instead of a "dry fire"."

That's a real good idea. It'll also keep the slide from slamming shut on an empty chamber, which at least one person believes is the cause of the Tomcat's cracked frame issue.

A couple pics borrowed from the www:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 a Tomcat frame crack.jpg (106.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 1 a Tomcat frame crack 2.jpg (39.3 KB, 72 views)
Old October 23, 2019, 01:23 AM   #7
Skarekrow88

Quote:
load a dummy round in the magazine first, then load the rest. this will ensure your last trigger pull will be on a dummy round instead of a "dry fire"
I ordered some .32 Auto A-Zooms on Amazon earlier today for this very reason along with a 2 pack of the Pearce grip extensions. Why I didn't think of this earlier is beyond me

Quote:
It'll also keep the slide from slamming shut on an empty chamber, which at least one person believes is the cause of the Tomcat's cracked frame issue.
I never even considered that but makes sense now that you mentioned it. Definitely thinking the last round snap cap is the way to go.

Last edited by Skarekrow88; October 23, 2019 at 01:29 AM.
Old October 23, 2019, 01:44 AM   #8
JERRYS.

actually the frame cracking is from the slide going backwards after firing. they increased the size/weight of the slide to slow it down to help prevent the problem but it still occurs. this is because of the frame design is just that way. if they made it with a polymer frame the cracking problem would cease and they could go back to the smaller slide.
Old October 24, 2019, 09:27 PM   #9
GarrettJ

They will break if dry fired too much. I found that out the hard way. I don’t have a problem counting rounds, but the dummy round is a good idea too. And buying a spare firing pin now is cheap insurance.
Old October 25, 2019, 11:28 PM   #10
Ibmikey

Buy the pin....dry fire until your heart’s content as stated above untold thousands of dry fires will happen before you ever break the pin....if you ever do. I dry fire everything I have (over 200 pistols alone) except rim fires and Star pistols which I use snap caps in....thousands upon thousands of dry fires and pins do not break (at least for me) but I do keep an extra firing pin for many of my pistols “ just in case”. Placing a dummy in the mag is not my idea of a solution to a non existent problem because eventually the dummy and a live round will become mixed...I supplied officers with the same ammo for training and duty use as no matter how many times it was brought up when training ammo was different it always ended up In mags designated for duty.
Old October 26, 2019, 08:45 AM   #11
GarrettJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
....dry fire until your heart’s content as stated above untold thousands of dry fires will happen before you ever break the pin....if you ever do. I dry fire everything I have...
Please try that with the gun in question and let us know if you change your opinion.
Old October 26, 2019, 09:47 AM   #12
Ben Dover

Dry firing does not harm modern centerfire weapons.

Ancient weapons with fixed firing pins should not be dry-fired. Modern centerfires can be dry fired until the cows come home.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old October 26, 2019, 09:58 AM   #13
GarrettJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Dry firing does not harm modern centerfire weapons.

Ancient weapons with fixed firing pins should not be dry-fired. Modern centerfires can be dry fired until the cows come home.
Again, please try it with the gun in question and report back.
Old October 26, 2019, 01:39 PM   #14
Ben Dover

I've never owned a Tomcat, but I've done it with at least a dozen other centerfire weapons, including a Beretta 950 Jetfire in .25 ACP.

Grand-daddy's old admonition to never "snap" a real gun was fine for many pre-WW2 weapons, but technology has advanced since 1940.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old October 26, 2019, 10:45 PM   #15
Ibmikey

There are some who will adhere to the “never dry fire” and “never let the slide go forward on an empty chamber” No matter what is said. As I indicated before after sixty years of military, police and retired life all of which heavily includes shooting causes me to smile and remember the 1911 slides that have slammed and the hammers falling on empty chambers and yet the pistols keep soldiering on.