The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 10, 2019, 07:26 PM   #1
MontyCop05

Can’t trust my P365...too many failures.

So I took my brand new 365 to the range on 10/6 for it's first run. 250 (ish) rounds. Majority being Winchester white box, with 50 or so older style Fed Hydrashok I had lying around. I had in the neighborhood of 20 failures to return to battery. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. Anyone else has this issue with a newly made model? I thought they had the kinks worked out.

I also posted this on a Sig P365 pqge on FB but I got a lot of flack from fan boys assuming it had to be me, I didn’t clean it, or the poor quality ammo I used.

Today I went back to the range and shot another 300 rounds. Consisting of the following:

100 WWB 115 FMJ
100 Sig 115 FMJ
50 UMC 115 FMJ
50 Fed Amer. Eagle 115 FMJ

4 FTB- 1 with WWB; 1 with Sig ammo; 1 with UMC
1 FTF with Sig ammo

If your curious, I'm a very experienced shooter, former NRA instructor, armorer, current LE and no, my hold isn't wrong, I'm not riding the slide or limp-wristing and it isn't the mags.

My take is this is a gun problem. Not an ammo problem. IMHO, If this thing can’t shoot practice ammo all day long, it has no business being a defensive carry weapon I trust my life with. It’s going back to Sig. after that I’ll see how it goes. In the meantime my trusty G43 remains on my side. It’s never let me down no matter what I ran through it.
Old October 10, 2019, 07:33 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Lemons happen. Send it back and reevaluate. Good luck (I don't blame you in being disappointed).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old October 10, 2019, 08:19 PM   #3
jonnyc

Too many teething issues with those...I won't have one. Well over 2000 trouble-free rounds through my 43X so far...very happy with the purchase, and total confidence.
Old October 10, 2019, 08:30 PM   #4
FITASC

I have two with ZERO issues, one from June a year ago and one from earlier this year. Seems you have the most issues with WWB - I'd stop using that and try several other brands. I use Speer lawman and Blazer, both 115 and 124 with no issue. The only malfs I had were with my handloads and these were new from a new LnL which I attribute to having the press set up properly (yet)

If using better ammo doesn't resolve the issue, call SIG.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 10, 2019, 08:37 PM   #5
jmr40

I've had mine about 3 months. No issues of any kind. It's been 100% with anything I've put in it and I've not cleaned it yet.

They did have some issues with very early production. Even though you just purchased the gun it could be old inventory. I'd contact Sig. No one should have to put $120 worth of ammo through a gun to get it to shoot right. I'd have stopped wasting ammo after the 2nd malfunction and it would have already been on its way to Sig.

Winston Churchill
Old October 10, 2019, 08:58 PM   #6
smee78

Well it sounds like you drew up a well documented complaint against a gun you gave a fair shake and it needs a trip back home. Could be a weak spring with all the failures to return to battery? Please keep us posted on the outcome.
Old October 10, 2019, 09:06 PM   #7
MontyCop05

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
I'd stop using that and try several other brands. I use Speer lawman and Blazer, both 115 and 124 with no issue. The only malfs I had were with my handloads and these were new from a new LnL which I attribute to having the press set up properly (yet)

If using better ammo doesn't resolve the issue, call SIG.
That’s my point. I disagree with that argument/assessment. A defensive carry gun should not be “picky about ammo.” Any commercially available manufactured SAAMI spec ammunition should function. I’m not talking about your occasional dud round...those happen, but a failure to return to battery or failure to feed that’s occurring with any frequency with several varieties is completely unacceptable.
Old October 10, 2019, 09:11 PM   #8
Auto5

No problems with my 365, but it's been my experience that the little 9s work better with 124gr bullets and up.
Old October 10, 2019, 09:18 PM   #9
Prof Young

No problems yet.

I've had my 365 for a couple months now and am nearing 1000 rounds. I've had one failure to return all the way into battery, and that I bumped closed with a slight push. I think the OP got a lemon and should send it back.
Life is good.
Prof Young
Old October 10, 2019, 09:28 PM   #10
MontyCop05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto5 View Post
No problems with my 365, but it's been my experience that the little 9s work better with 124gr bullets and up.
Not my experience at all. I’ve had many micro 9’s. Still own a Ruger LC9s Pro, and a G43. Never had issues with any of them with 115g practice ammo. Neither with a S&W shield, XDs, or Kahr PM9. I just can’t stomach that my Sig should only shoot 124 grain or heavier when Sig manufacturers, and markets their own brand of P365 specific ammo that is 115g FMJ. Not to mention that the owners manual makes no mention of ANY specific recommended ammo wights for proper functioning. They only state you should use only SAAMI spec manufactured ammo, and that reloads will void your warranty.

Last edited by MontyCop05; October 10, 2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old October 10, 2019, 09:37 PM   #11
Targa

Yeh, I would send it back to Sig as well.
Old October 10, 2019, 09:52 PM   #12
AgedWarrior

I have had my P365 for close to a year now. It has shot every sort of 9mm ammo I put in it without a hitch; 100% reliable so far with about 1500 rds through it. Yes, I am quite happy with it, but if I had the problems MontyCop05 is having, I would be sending it back to Sig; the gun is obviously unreliable at this point.
Old October 10, 2019, 09:54 PM   #13
JDBerg

OP, my definition of a firearm used for personal defense is that it must go bang with whatever I load it with, whenever I pull the trigger. If it doesn’t go bang I don’t carry it. No exceptions, and let Sig CS know it when you call them.
Old October 11, 2019, 07:30 AM   #14
wild cat mccane

When I read that, I read you've confirmed what we all knew: ww box ammo is crap.

If per chance those were older ww box boxes, case closed. You had 2 failures.
Old October 11, 2019, 07:32 AM   #15
TunnelRat

I don't like WWB but it should still run, and the SIG ammo definitely should have run.

Old October 11, 2019, 07:59 AM   #16
MontyCop05

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
When I read that, I read you've confirmed what we all knew: ww box ammo is crap.

If per chance those were older ww box boxes, case closed. You had 2 failures.
Nope. Not old stuff. Bought just a few months ago at Cabelas. Nice joke, if by “two” failures you meant; I shot wwb two on separate occasions...

Regardless, any of my other pistols shoot wwb just fine without failures. The fact that the Sig can’t is a problem.
Old October 11, 2019, 08:37 AM   #17
IdaD

I haven't ever had any trouble with WWB ammo in my pistols. Blaming it on the ammo is lame...the 365 just has a spotty track record. I'm sure most are great but some are undoubtedly not. Probably true of any product but there's more noise about the 365 than any other handgun from a reputable manufacturer that I can recall in recent memory. I wouldn't buy one.
Old October 11, 2019, 08:55 AM   #18
Carl the Floor Walker

WWB is a joke. Too many bad batches. I do not own the Sig 365, do not want one, and it is not a good fit for me personally, but do not buy into the nonsense that there are too many problems. Tested one with a 1,000 rds and ran great just like others I know that own them. I doubt Sig is having any more problems than any gun made. Just more in the spot light and is one of the most popular gun on the market now.
Typical internet garbage. The Sig is a well built firearm and runs just fine. And of course anyone can get a lemon. Send it back and get it fixed.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; October 11, 2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old October 11, 2019, 10:26 AM   #19
pete2

Send the gun back to SIG. It is a fact that we get a lot of sub standard guns now days. I've bought defective Ruger, S&W, Browning, Kimber, Glock, as well as Taurus and Citadel. It seems they just assemble a gun and ship it. I don't buy that many guns, it's now a surprise to me when I buy a new gun and it is actually right, it should be the other way around. As for Winchester White Box, it works in all my 9mm guns but I have seen guns that would not work with it. It would seem that all the mfgs put out lemons and I get more than my share of them.
Old October 11, 2019, 11:16 AM   #20
Carl the Floor Walker

I buy a lot of guns and all have run perfectly right out of the box. The only issue I have had was a Bersa Thunder 22. from about 10 years ago and fixed that on my own. Will all my guns run on every ammo made? Have no idea, Never ran every ammo made. And if I do find a ammo that one of my guns will not run on? Just will not use that ammo. No big deal. Lol, and for sure would not trash the gun.
I have a batch of WWB right Now, that I know will not run with any gun more than 5 rounds. Just pure crap. Am I going to trash all my 9mm because they will not run this junk? Hell no.
Know enough not to buy WWB anymore.
Old October 11, 2019, 11:17 AM   #21
Onward Allusion

These kinds of posts crack me up. Someone posts that they got a lemon and that they did X, Y, & Z to troubleshoot. Next we have SOME folks who are "experts" who will suggest that A, B, & C should have been done 'cause the OP probably doesn't know what they are talking about because they have the same gun and it's been flawless.

Got news for some of ya - Crap happens. If this firearm happen to be a Taurus or Hi-Point, then the "experts" will almost always agree that it's a Lemon and the manufacturer's QA is garbage. In the case of a top tier mfr, it's gotta be the ammo or the shooter . . .

Do-Do Happens . . . especially with new designs. The OP got a lemon. Also, I personally would never trust a gun for SD if it requires a particular brand or type of ammo to run flawlessly. Who's to say that brand/make/model will always be available???
Old October 11, 2019, 11:20 AM   #22
TunnelRat

It wasn't just the WWB that had issues. He had issues with SIG ammo too. I'm not sure whether people aren't reading fully or are conveniently ignoring that fact.

It's great that other people haven't had issues. As I've said in other threads, so what? Will the OP's pistol read this thread and suddenly decide to straighten up and fly right? We can find a number of threads with issues with the P365. Is it all of them? Of course not. Does it seem perhaps higher than than some other pistols? To me, yes. I say this as someone that owns a P365XL. I don't have any malice towards an inanimate object. But I do expect pistols to function to a reasonable level and when not for the manufacturer to take care of them.

Old October 11, 2019, 11:22 AM   #23
Carl the Floor Walker

Of course any gun can have a lemon. Never owned a Taurus, but do not believe they have the problems like the internet plagues them with. As far as the OP, again, just send the gun back. Yes, I agree internet post crack me up as well. And yes Crap can happen to a 3,000 gun as well. Just read about one.
But on the other hand. There are also a whole of guns blamed when it is in fact user error. Have seen this many times. It is just part of the world of shooting.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; October 11, 2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old October 11, 2019, 11:45 AM   #24
TunnelRat

Sure, but given the OP's description it doesn't seem to be the case. I've also seen plenty of people that have pistols with issues and don't send them in or assume it's them when it's not.

Old October 11, 2019, 12:02 PM   #25
MontyCop05

Just spoke with Sig CS. After giving a detailed account Rep stated either weak recoil spring or a defect in the fire control unit. He specifically stated it should NOT be an ammo issue, as that was extremely unlikely. It’s headed back home for diagnostics.