The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 13, 2019, 04:18 PM   #1
ADIDAS69

Mannlicher

So I watched A Boy and His Dog the other night and damnit if Don Johnson isn’t awesome but to the point now I want a bolt gun with a Mannlicher (full length) stock. Yes I’m that impressionable. The only new production I can find is from Sako and evidently that means ~$2500.00. It’s pretty and I’m willing to pay for pretty but curious if anyone knows of another option. CZ, Remington, Savage, Ruger are no goes I’ve already checked.
Old October 13, 2019, 04:32 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Does it have to be new production? https://www.gunbroker.com/Guns-Firea...licher%20stock
Old October 13, 2019, 05:24 PM   #3
bobn

I love the way the handle, carry, and obhor they way they shoot. sold mine the day after I shot it. try one before you move ahead. very, very whippy. just saying. bob
Old October 13, 2019, 05:26 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Ruger made "International" variants of several models in the past, and brings one back every few years. They had full length stocks.
Not new; unless you can find NOS. But new is a waste of money, anyway.

Similar story for CZ and Winchester.

And, of course, there's always a well-kept Mannlicher.
Old October 13, 2019, 06:39 PM   #5
cslinger

Does it have to be centerfire? I have a CZ452 FS that is all kinds of awesome but in .22LR. I THINK they make a FS version of the centerfire 527 or whatever the .223/7.62x39/.308 series they make as well.
Old October 13, 2019, 08:49 PM   #6
44caliberkid

A quick search under Mannlicher on GunBroker shows lots of options. Many CZ's, Steyr, a couple Cooper's and scattered others. I seem to recall Interarms had a Mannlicher stocked Mauser model back in the 70's. Just use your search engines, there's a lot out there.
Old October 13, 2019, 11:23 PM   #7
Jim Watson

In my early gun buying days, I had a choice between Varmint and Mannlicher Sako Vixens.
I got the pretty Mannlicher. It lacked the accuracy Sako was already famous for. I think it due to the thin barrel and full length stock complete with barrel band.
Wrong answer.

Now for a lightweight medium range hunting rifle, why not go for the style you like?
I knew a guy who hunted North America with a prewar Mauser Banner full stock.
Old October 13, 2019, 11:56 PM   #8
bamaranger

Mark X

In the used market there are the imported Mauser Mark X rifles sometimes found with full length Mannlicher style stocks. Actually made by YZ /Zastava, their rifles have safeties a bit different than a real Mauser action, but the extract/eject is classic controlled feed. I read one reference to these rifles as Serbian Mausers and they are quality items. As YZ is still making firearms, the mannlicher style may even be currently produced, I am not sure. New or used, you can get a Mark X in the $500-700 range I'm thinking.

In the late 60's, early 70's, Mossberg made a bolt centerfire labled the Model 800. Some of these were produced with full length stocks as well, The mannlicher style rifles were labeled 800M, are not common, but are out there.

I think the Remington custom shop builds Model 7's with full length stocks. I expect they are not cheap, but you might find one used.

Of those options mentioned by me and others, I think the Ruger International rifles would be most common and available around say $1000.
Old October 14, 2019, 12:28 PM   #9
VTRich

Lipseys does exclusives on the Ruger RSI's with full length stocks. There are several available right now on Gunbroker. Just do a search for Ruger RSI. Most of the new ones are Stainless with Walnut Stocks. They have them in the Ruger No. 1, and the Model 77
Old October 17, 2019, 04:52 AM   #10
fourbore

CSI (of vermont) has imported a number of used Zastava M70 carbines with mannlicher stocks and double set triggers. Calibers vary but 30-06 and 7x64 are typical. I found one and it shoots fine for a hunting rifle.

CZ no longer offers that option in rf or cf. I dont believe they would not considered true carbine length guns. I should remember details better, I have in 6.5x55. This gun has a single set trigger. Very pretty wood grain and another (even better) fine shooting rifle. A bit too heavy for that caliber. I believe it was close to one side or the other of 1 MOA.

Zastava does continue to build true Mannlicher rifles. Not to american taste and no one is importing the very fine new examples. Low price is the frosting on the cake. You know to sell a rifle it has to be in the exactly popular ctg of the day and exactly the right trigger. I take them as I find them. I do like set triggers. Caliber does not matter much to me. All a lot of stupid talk on the internet regarding caliber choices. Given a choice, I would lean more toward a 7x57 than a 30-06 in a carbine.

The Sako Bavarian models are superb. I dont have the budget or need one that bad. The Zastava is a pretty good rifle for a bottom feeder like me. That is even at Cabelas prices. Maybe $400? That might have been a one time import. It was mere months ago

Last edited by fourbore; October 17, 2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old October 17, 2019, 06:58 AM   #11
P-990

Look for a used CZ, any of the -FS models. I have a 452FS in .22LR and a 527FS in .223 Remington, and neither are for sale. There's just something right about the way they balance and fit me. Topped with a fixed 4x scope, they're classics.

Also look for Ruger RSI or International models. They're relatively common. Ruger made this configuration in the 10/22, Model 77, Number 1 and I think the original Deerfield Carbine over the years. Ruger used/uses an 18.5" carbine barrel on their repeaters, while CZ uses a 20" barrel on their rifles.

It's worth some digging and patience to come up with one. My CZs always draw comments and looks at a busy range day. They certainly fall into the category of "you don't see one of those every day".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old October 17, 2019, 07:57 AM   #12
fourbore

What I found with the CZ 550 mannlicher was it would shoulder and sights line up juts like a fitted shotgun. Not that I have such a shotgun, just saying, very natural to shoulder and be immediately on target. That buttstock has a droop or drop to make this happen. The flip side is the scope ends up high. You cannot optimize for both. The cz fullstock is designed for iron sights. I used QD mounts and challenge myself with the irons.

Some other mannlicher have a straight butt and maybe enough comb height to lineup the scope better. I am not so sure, but; the CZ really did work. In general the mannlicher was a fast handling open sighted rilfe that date back to a time when scope use was rare or mounts were quick detach. And $$. I also note these old time scope mounts are often very high. We do have ring and scope options like the 4x mentioned that are an excellent compromise.

Bottom line, these are old fashioned guns and not ideal. There are reasons modern gun stocks look the way they do. They are cool old guns and that is as real as any logic. The OP noticed!
Old October 17, 2019, 11:38 PM   #13
Saltydog235

I had a CZ 550 International in 6.5 Swede and loved it but sold it because someone wanted it more than I did. Very accurate and smooth handling. Had a Ruger #1 International in ‘06 with a 20” barrel, that thing was lucky to shoot 2” @ 100yds on a good day and had a horrible trigger, my buddy bought it and uses it on 100 and under stands.

I finally broke down and bought my dream Mannlicher, the Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine in .308. That gun is a work of art. Smooth to the shoulder, mounts perfectly and shoots about 1/2” @ 100. Single set trigger at 8oz or unset at about 2.5-3#. I topped it with a S&B Stratos 1.5-8X42 FD7. Probably my favorite rifle to carry unless the conditions I’m hunting in are unfavorable to getting it beat up. I’ll never sell this one. Yeah it cost a lot but when you want a rifle like that, cheap isn’t the way to go. Neither of my other two compared to it.

I will say, to get one in a specific cartridge like .308, you’re likely to have to do a bit of searching or waiting on the order. I thought I was going to have to order it and wait 18 months. Got lucky though and found exactly what I was looking for after a bit of work.
Old October 18, 2019, 05:52 PM   #14
briandg

I believe that you can easily find an action, barrel, and gunsmith who can cut you a mannlicher stock for short of $2,500.
Old October 20, 2019, 04:06 PM   #15
Saltydog235

You got the name of that gunsmith that can build a Mannlicher rifle on an equal to Sako action and barrel for less? I’d like his contact information please.
Old October 20, 2019, 05:27 PM   #16
Drm50

Look up a H&R ultra rifle. Can be had hi condition for 1/2 new Sako.
Old October 21, 2019, 07:11 PM   #17
Saltydog235

Yes but, it isn't a Sako or even close to a Sako, not really in the same realm of the Sako. Look you can come up with every option under the sun right now for a Mannlicher offering, they just aren't many and certainly not in a budget rifle. The Sako Bavarian Carbine is a work of art, the feel, contours and work. I'd say the closest other to it would be a Cooper and then you have to break out the checkbook and maybe dip into the savings some.
Old October 21, 2019, 07:35 PM   #18
fourbore

The Sako Bavarian is a superb rifle. If I still got a real pay check rather than a social security monthly deposit, I would have got one. Nothing againt H&R or other guns like CZ. That Sako is in another class.