The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2019, 08:14 AM   #1
roc1

Dillon Service

Just wanted to say Dillon stands behind there products 100%. I bought another press a 650 from my cousin. I had lots issues right off bat Dillon tech had me send it in and all I can say is WOW. Complete rebuild frame and all like a brand new machine 43 parts. Wish other companies in non firearms related businesses were this good even 1/2 this good.
Thanks Dillon
Roc1
Old September 25, 2019, 09:12 AM   #2
hounddawg

In today's day and age most companies CS has to be outstanding. Internet will bite them on the butt otherwise
Old September 25, 2019, 10:00 AM   #3
roc1

Yep they always provided me with excellent service. I just wasn’t expecting a complete almost new press from a overhaul
Old September 25, 2019, 07:54 PM   #4
Road_Clam

Have not yet needed a replacement part for my 650 as it's only about 4 years old, but I did have an issue with primers getting smashed sideways, and a 20 min phone call with Dillon and they walked me through the re-adjustment procedure of the indexing head and all was perfect after that. I will throw a plug for other handloading customer service which is RCBS and LEE . I dropped my RCBS Uni-Flow powder drop and shattered the plastic hopper tube. RCBS sent me a new one free of charge no questions asked. I also had an issue with my LEE Classic Turret primer drop assembly, and same deal LEE sent me new assembly N/C .
Old September 25, 2019, 08:03 PM   #5
9MMand223only

OK, I will tell you that Dillon does "NOT" stand by their products, and run bad business practices. I query Dillon about buying a xl750. I ask them, confirm several times..
"Does Mr. Bullet feeder work on XL750 with a powder check like a Xl650??" Yes..it does.

So I spit out about ~2500 dollars in dough to buy a XL750, bullet feeder, powder check.

I install it all, I try and dump the powder in the first case, and it doesn't work. So I am thinking, what in the hell? I pull the lever a few more times, and it still doesn't work. So then I see the problem.

The god damn powder BAR is DIRECTLY in line with the Bullet feeder tube. What in the HELL? How in the living HELL can you design a machine where the damn auto bullet die system DOES NOT WORK? Because the powder bar is directly in line with the die tube and STOPS the powder bar from actuating? You are telling me Dillon didn't test this before they put this into mass production?

So then I contact Dillon. Arrogant as it gets. SUPER arrogant. They don't give a flying frick about me, and could care less. They DID NOTHING for me. They didnt even care to look into the fact their product simple does not work with the bullet feeder and a powder check.

So all you XL750 owners who are now quality assurance people for Dillon to find VERY BASIC problems with their new machine that has "less" function than a 650, because you can run a powder check ON THAT, just fine...LOL?

You have to run your bullet feeder die in the station after the powder dump. NO powder check for you!

And is any of this information on the Dillon web site? Do they warn you it won't work?

Who here wants to buy a Dillon that requires extensive modification for something they SELL AN ACCESSORY for it, to work?

hell no. We want to buy a product that works out of the box.
They can't even come out with a new loader that is tested with the accessories that THEY SELL FOR IT.

It is absurd. Dillon, you messed up. And your arrogant attitude is garbage. Your service sucks.

That is not the only problem with this thing. one would think, hey just angle the powder die/powder cylinder away from the bullet feeder die tube right? Well, you cannot do that because the angle of the bracket for the actuator is too much angle, and creates resistance. ALSO, the powder tube slams into the primer check box, and yes Dillon, EVEN if you angle the box properly. Its because when you turn the powder bar clockwise, it gets CLOSER to the primer check box? How does Dillon not know all this? They don't even understand how their own product works and when you ask them about it, several times, they just act like you are the one that is stupid. Then they just ignore you from then on.

BTW Dillon, you should put something on your web site warning people your new 750 cannot do what a 650 does, it has less capability.

Looking forward to seeing you admit you messed up, and coming out with a redesigned XL750B real soon that actually works with the accessories that YOU SELL.

What a disaster. Dillon messed this up so badly.
Old September 25, 2019, 09:33 PM   #6
ed308

How can the bullet feeder line be directly in front of the powder bar? When facing the press, isn't the powder drop on the right side of the tool head with the bullet drop to the left? The 750 also uses the same powder system as the 650 if I'm not mistaken. Seems like it should work. How about a video to show he problem? Even better, drop the attitude and send the video to Dillon.
Old September 26, 2019, 06:26 AM   #7
roc1

Same toolheads as 650. Call ask to speak someone in charge I know from putting up with customers if you call me cussing me your not going get to far.
Roc1
Old September 26, 2019, 12:09 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

You can see from this comparison photo what the problem is. The switch to the linear primer feed from the rotary one moved the primer feed tube and shield clockwise from its original position, looking down on the unit. This is because space for the linear feed bar and its actuator linkage was required and it had to avoid the handle. As a result of the shift, the powder measure orientation had to change, with the charge bar moving to the left of the primer shield on the 650 and to the right of it on the 750, plus that brought the powder measure safety linkage to the right as well. All of that jammed up the bullet feeder entry location.

I assume Dillon will come up with a fix for this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 650 750 difference.jpg (38.7 KB, 715 views)
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 26, 2019, 01:38 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...most companies CS has to be outstanding..." Yep. I've been saying for years that the rest of the manufacturing world can learn a lot about customer service from the firearms industry in general and the reloading industry specifically.
Both Dillion and RCBS will fix anything you need fixed with a phone call or e-mail. Even if you caused it or bought the thing used. No other mass manufactured product has that kind of warrantee.
Old September 26, 2019, 07:22 PM   #10
9MMand223only

What unclenick said. You can clearly see from the pic, the 750's orientation of the powder bar is pointing NOT at 6 to 12 like teh 650, but rather more like 4 to 10. The powder bar slams into the bullet feeder die tube on the 750.

Not an issue on the 650. Well, so far, I contact Dillon every single day almost, and they keep up the arrogant attitude, ignore me, and do nothing. Other customers, complained as well, and other customers say they do NOT care also. I am not alone.

This is a horrid design flaw. I recommend NOBODy to buy a 750 until they fix this. INteresting in the pic they even havea powder check there. But Dillon NEVER thought to test their brand new baby with an actual Bullet feeder to go with the powder check.

This is literal fail right in front of the world. Worlds best press maker, doesn't even test the accessories they sell for their brand new unit, then probably spend millions going into mass production. And it DOESNT EVEN WORK!

Dillon customer service, = 0/10. They refuse to even acknowledge this is an issue. Fear of all the lawsuits coming, I am sure.
Old September 26, 2019, 07:54 PM   #11
ed308

If you can't use it on station 4, move the bullet feeder to station 3. You'll give up the powder check but you'll have your bullet feeder. I'm sure they'll eventually come up with a fix.

Last edited by ed308; September 26, 2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old September 26, 2019, 07:55 PM   #12
oley55

Sissy Rounds only, take a step back and take a deep breath. Gheez......! My two RL450s are still pumping out reloads and are still guaranteed and serviced by Dillon.

Last edited by oley55; September 26, 2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old September 27, 2019, 12:58 PM   #13
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
Sissy Rounds only, take a step back and take a deep breath. Gheez......! My two RL450s are still pumping out reloads and are still guaranteed and serviced by Dillon.
Nevertheless, that does not solve HIS problem.
Old September 27, 2019, 06:13 PM   #14
ed308

No it doesn't solve his problem. So whoever he talked to at Dillon didn't know it wouldn't work. It's a new press, new design, it happens. I'm curious why he didn't just return the press and buy a 650, LNL or some other press.

Dillons return policy:
Dillon Precision will accept the return of any unaltered product for any reason within 30 days of purchase for a refund, exchange or credit. Dillon Precision will accept the return of unused, unaltered product within 90 days of purchase for exchange or credit.

He would have to pay to return ship the press, but I wouldn't be surprised if he spoke nicely to CS they'd probably reimburse him since the bullet feeder won't work with the 750 in the current setup. But I suspect he's using the bullet feeder in the third station and just wants to soil Dillon's good name.

Last edited by ed308; September 27, 2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old September 27, 2019, 07:03 PM   #15
dahermit

"But I suspect he's using the bullet feeder in the third station and just wants to soil Dillon's good name."

Without any proof, I would not make that assertion...I give him the benefit of the doubt and will accept his word for it. Especially since I have no proof one way or the other.
Old September 27, 2019, 10:17 PM   #16
FTG-05

I learned about the Dillon service way back in the mid '80 after I bought my RL-550b from them in 1986. I forked up a couple things and called them. I admitted my incompetence - didn't matter, they fixed it.

Every time after that: I made sure to have something I needed so at least I covered the shipping cost.

Old September 28, 2019, 10:17 PM   #17
9MMand223only

Dillon SOLD me the powder check and the bullet feeder. T hat is why I am upset. IT saying nowhere anywhere, and they told me it would work, when it does not.

This is the issue.

I have 2 other issues I am working with Dillon on, with the 750. The actuater that is brass colors slams into the aluminium of the powder bar module when you pull level up and down, not enough clearance. it is "squared" I noticed, but on the other Dillon machines, it is rounded. Another error?

Well see..all I know is operation is ROUGH
Old September 29, 2019, 11:19 AM   #18
ed308

Why not trade your 750 for a 650?

I'm sure somebody would take you up that offer. I'm almost willing to do it and offer my 650 for your 750 plus throw in the large primer Quick Change system. My press is in great shape. Works great and looks almost new since only 8 years old and has seen limited use. Straight up trade. No tool heads, strong mounts, caliber conversions or the extra stuff. Each party pays to ship insured. Press for press or except a part that can be used your press not the other press.

But when I think about it, do I really want to subject myself to your rants? I'm believe you'll find find something to complain then smear my good name across the internet. Not worth the risk IMO. But maybe somebody is willing to take the risk.
Old September 29, 2019, 12:57 PM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

ed308,

Let's leave inferred or assumed personal characteristics of others out of it. That's against board trolling rules. It is reasonable for 9mmand223only to be aggravated that Dillon would sell him an incompatible set of equipment components with the understanding they would work together. It doesn't follow that someone will rant about any and everything because they had that response to issues with a clearly problematic equipment combination.

New products almost always cause what engineers refer to as "birthing pains" until there has been time for the bugs to be discovered and worked out. That's why my wife, who worked in the automotive industry, says never to buy a car model in its first year. I have the same approach to new equipment of any kind that is much more complicated than a hammer or a screwdriver.

Dillon should have tried this combo out before selling it. They will, I'm sure, allow the return of the unworkable part of the order and will eventually get it all sorted out and make things work together. They've built a lot of goodwill in the past with their equipment quality and CS policies and I'm sure they don't want to let it all go bad over one problematic product.

9mmand223only,

If Dillon will not admit the incompatibility of the setup, ask them to do it themselves and when it works to send you a photo of the working setup so you can see how they did it.
Old September 29, 2019, 02:43 PM   #20
ed308

Agreed. Consider it a Momentary Lapse or Reason on my part.
Old October 14, 2019, 11:45 AM   #21
NaterGator

The issue with bullet feeder and station 4 in xl750 is a real concern. And to concur with 9mmand223only, the way Dillon has chosen to handle it is of even greater concern. __If buying a 650 was even still an option that would be one thing, but Dillon has DC sales of the 650 and is pushing the 750 without disclosing the known bullet feeder issue if you want to use a powder check.
Dillon will of course happily sell you a Mr. Bullet Feeder (they are an authorized dealer) and their own powder checker with your 750 purchase.....if anyone doesn't see a problem with this you're either a Dillon shareholder or cognitively impaired.
I spoke with Dillon and got some lukewarm reassurance that they think Double Alpha can solve it. I spoke with Josh at Double Alpha who let me know they are working on it, and was pretty blatant in his disappointment of Dillon's attitude and lack of cooperation concerning the design oversight.

Last edited by NaterGator; October 14, 2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old October 16, 2019, 04:09 PM   #22
Unclenick
Staff

Again, let's leave characterizing others as "cognitively impaired" or anything else out of it. It's a rule violation. Read the rules.

I am glad to hear you went to the source for information on the compatibility issue. It sounds like a case of designing with tunnel vision aimed at resolving one set of problems to the exclusion of considering the possibility of raising other problems in the process.
Old October 28, 2019, 03:10 PM   #23
ilmonster

Another Dillon fan. Bought a used Square Deal B years ago. Sent it to Dillon to be refurbished for a very reasonable amount (I want to say something like $30-$40) and it came back working and looking like new. I've cranked out thousands of pistol rounds on it and it's done yeoman's work. Aside from a few of the plastic bits breaking, and them sending me out a few new ones (for no cost), it's been super reliable. I reload on it for 4 different calibers.

I'm not a Dillon only person, also owning a Lee Classic Cast press and a MEC9000 press, but would consider another Dillon in a heartbeat. Great company!
Old October 28, 2019, 08:27 PM   #24
zplinker

Blue has been a great color for me, starting with a 450 in the early 80's; no tool head, had to put in empty brass, set in a bullet, pull the primer operating handle, then pull the powder knob...made for a very busy operation. But, after buying a Lee Pro1000, and hating it almost from the start, I called Dillon to get another 450. Then they said there was a 550, so I got that. It is still on my bench, followed by 4 more Dillon loaders. All have been great, with little maintenance required. Just good, simple designs,what I call Mike Dillon's genius. After hundreds of thousands of rounds, they are all going strong.