The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 18, 2019, 09:51 PM   #1
logeorge

Pietta tail

I expect that this has been gone over several times before, but I'll ask anyway! Is there a back strap and grip available for the Pietta 1851 that has the original Colt shape, or close to it? I like the feel of the Uberti grip over the Pietta. The front of the grip looks the same, but the back is short of material near the top, as I'm sure most everyone knows.
Old June 19, 2019, 12:24 PM   #2
AKexpat

Quote:
Pietta tail

I expect that this has been gone over several times before, but I'll ask anyway! Is there a back strap and grip available for the Pietta 1851 that has the original Colt shape, or close to it? I like the feel of the Uberti grip over the Pietta. The front of the grip looks the same, but the back is short of material near the top, as I'm sure most everyone knows.
I am only addressing Pietta 1851 Navy "type" revolvers made from ~2000 (when Pietta started to use CNC machining) to 2019.

The "tail" gripstyle was manufactured from at least 2001 [BP] through 2014 [CM]. The "non-tail" gripstyle was manufactured from 2015 [CN] through 2019 [CU].

The "tail" 3-piece grip assembly pieces (backstrap, triggerguard, wood) are not interchangeable between the "non-tail" pieces, but as an assembly will easily fit on any revolver in the range I am speaking of (above).

Pietta "tail" 1851 Navy Second Model with a part round/part octagonal barrel (my belt size Dragoon .36):

Pietta "non-tail" Leech & Rigdon (made from swapping Pietta parts as it is not produced by Pietta):

A comparison of the butt of both styles which shows the large difference between the two. In the photo, the "tail" is the top revolver, and the "non-tail" is the bottom revolver.

There is no such thing as a standard "original" Colt 1851 Navy grip. The photo is from " '51 Colt Navies", Nathan L. Swayze (1967), which also has many other photos of original guns showing many grip variations.

I have 9 different Pietta 1851 Navy "type" revolvers (to include a G&G, R&A, Augusta Machine Works, Columbus Firearms Manufacturing Company, et al) and Pietta Navy .36 guns are almost the "Legos" of the replica BP revolver world insofar as parts interchangeability. I like the "tail" as it fits my hand better than the "non-tail".

If you have a "tail" gun and don't like the gripstyle, I have a 3-piece "non-tail" assembly that I will sell.

Regards,

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old June 19, 2019, 06:09 PM   #3
logeorge

I'm interested. Send me a PM.
Old June 20, 2019, 07:58 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I regret not bringing a Ruger Old Army grip frame with me when I took the brass casting class. It would have been neat to have casted a brass grip for the Old Army.
Old June 20, 2019, 02:50 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

IMHO The Pietta Great Western II back strap & Trigger guard is as close as you'll come to the old Colt's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1702.JPG (140.6 KB, 40 views)
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 23, 2019, 01:59 PM   #6
AKexpat

Quote:
I'm interested. Send me a PM.
I did so on June 20. Have not heard back from you.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old June 25, 2019, 12:38 PM   #7
logeorge

Pietta tail

Sorry! I received your PM. I've been having computer problems, which I just got straightened out(I think), and have had some other things going on. I didn't mean to ignore you, just been busy. I'll send you a PM later today. Just got back from the dentist, got a temporary crown on a molar. The first serious dental work in many years, other than a filling about three years back.
Your post on the grip shapes was very informative. I knew there was some variation in them, but had never looked at it as closely as you have. I wasn't so much concerned with the side-to-side shape, which can be controlled by replacing or reworking the wood, as in the profile of the back strap near the top of the grip. Also, I'm not hung up on authenticity, either. I know that an Italian clone, which might be a fine revolver in it's own right, will never be a real Colt. I do prefer the Uberti profile, as it just fits my hand better. My feeling is that every hand is different and one should try for the best fit for his hand and shooting style. I suppose that is why some say the 1911, or whatever pistol, is a natural pointer and others say it's not.

Last edited by logeorge; June 25, 2019 at 03:42 PM. Reason: adding material