The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 3, 2016, 11:53 PM   #1
bspillman

What's the real consensus on this gun.

Taurus pt111 G2, did Taurus step up thier game on quaility with these guns. I like the size and feel of it but what are the chances I'll get a good one?

Last edited by bspillman; December 4, 2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old December 4, 2016, 03:08 AM   #2
Mosin44az

Sorry I can't say, Taurus has been on my no-buy list for several years now. I actually don't think their quality control is much worse than some major brands (cough, Ruger), but historically their service when you have a problem has been MUCH slower than the other makers, almost as if they have been overwhelmed by too many returns.

Unless you can confirm that their service turnaround time has improved, I would pass.
Old December 4, 2016, 03:52 AM   #3
LockedBreech

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

The difference in cost between a Taurus and a better gun is a few range trips worth of ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 4, 2016, 06:14 AM   #4
darkgael

Taurus

I have had a Taurus snub nose for years. Never a problem,

Pete
Old December 4, 2016, 07:13 AM   #5
Ibmikey

I bought a Taurus Lightning...would not fire a mag full of ammo without major difficulties, Taurus fixed it after having rifle for three months..was less reliable upon return. Traded it on a Braztech/ Taurus/ Rossi that required extensive internal stoning and replacement of several junk components and the idiot safety on top of bolt., Rifle now runs properly and rarely has a malfunction ( this rifle would have served the novice ok but for heavy use at Cowboy shooting it was a disaster until worked on). My best friend bought a Taurus compact auto in 9mm, it too went Back to the factory to make it function reliably----without success.
Taurus is not on my purchase list.
Old December 4, 2016, 08:05 AM   #6
B-Shot

My wifes PT111 g2 just hit the 1500rnd mark with hers and no issues. Im the one that gets to clean it and it has taken wear very well. the first 500 or so rounds was with Aguila 115g+p.
Old December 4, 2016, 08:12 AM   #7
hemiram

I liked the first one I had enough to buy another one. The first has a fiber optic front site I added and a stainless guide rod. A great little gun.
Old December 4, 2016, 10:45 AM   #8
osbornk

Quote:
Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
That's what I once thought because of all the trashing Taurus has gotten over the years. However, I traded a C9 Hi-Point to my neighbor for an old Taurus 38 special revolver with a 4" barrel (we still don't know which one of us got cheated). Because the old 70s era revolver was still solid and accurate, I decided to take a chance and buy a new Taurus semi-automatic (I figured if the Hi-Point bashers were so wrong about Hi-Point, maybe they were also wrong about Taurus). My decision to buy another Taurus was not a mistake and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Old December 4, 2016, 11:43 AM   #9
SDF880

My friend at work recently purchased a Taurus 1911 and it does look nice and he says it is fine so far.

As for me the Taurus pistols I had were nice looking paper weights that resembled guns.
Old December 4, 2016, 12:31 PM   #10
RECTIFIER

Taurus has made advances over the last several years. I con't speak about their 9mm autos, as I only have a PT22 & it works fine.

I think it was Hitchkok45 who mentioned the PT111 G2 trigger breaks too far back to get accurate shots.
Old December 4, 2016, 12:42 PM   #11
Ozzieman

My brother just bought a 709 slim line,
I was shocked when I dissembled it. Dry and rust and green hard goo like candy inside.
No thanks

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 4, 2016, 12:48 PM   #12
tahunua001

not as good as many of the reviews would have you believe. the only real reason people are so willing to give it the marks that they do is because it is the cheapest handgun out there next to the hi point. I've dry fired them in my LGS, they have the absolute worst triggers on the planet, and I'm including mosin nagants and AK47s in that list. they feel like the break on those old KNEX build your own pistols... not only is it bad, it has such a long travel after the break that I actually jerk right(I'm not a lefty), no matter how much I try and control it, it breaks right every time. I'll never buy one.
Old December 4, 2016, 02:13 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

Biggest issue with Taurus is their customer service. Actually their lack of it. Mind you, when they first came here, they still had tool marks on 'em. And Para-Ordnance started life in Canada but entirely ignored the Canadian market even when they were still here. So it's not just Taurus.
Old December 4, 2016, 02:26 PM   #14
BillM

Spotty (but maybe getting better) quality control paired with so-so
customer service. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the design of the various Taurus models----but you chances of getting
"a good gun" are higher with a bit more money and a different manufacturer.
Old December 4, 2016, 03:39 PM   #15
jbarbourtrim

I had 2. Still have 1. No mechanical issues. Sights suck and the trigger is crap. Not the worst. But still pretty junky. They make for a good back up or a hide around the house gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old December 4, 2016, 04:01 PM   #16
Bill DeShivs

If Taurus guns were as bad as you hear on the Internet, they would have gone out of business 15 years ago!

Most Taurus guns are just fine. I don't know about their customer service, as I have never had to use it.

I'm capable of doing much of my own gunsmithing, so that may have bearing on my feelings- but I would be quite comfortable buying a Taurus gun, and I have.
Old December 4, 2016, 04:08 PM   #17
peggysue

All manufacturers are guilty of Issues.. I have about 19 or so various neat butt Taurus firearms. No regrets.
Old December 4, 2016, 04:08 PM   #18
tallball

I have owned something like ten Taurus handguns over the years and only had trouble with one. They fixed it for free, but it took two tries. A few of them have been very nice handguns indeed. The rest have had mediocre triggers, but go/went bang every time.

I have heard that earlier versions of the PT111 had problems, but that the G2 versions are reliable. My BiL has one and likes it a lot. He says that it has been 100% reliable.

Last edited by tallball; December 4, 2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old December 4, 2016, 05:44 PM   #19
kmw1954

I have a GMC Canyon and it's junk with just 124000 mi on it, Electrical stinks, broken door handles, windshield leaks, blew the CAT converter out at 100000mi. so I guess by these standards all GMC trucks suck.

Brother has a G2 Millennium and it shoots very well. I have a Taurus PT92C and it shoots more accurately than my S&W Mod 19.

But then this is just one persons opinion, mine.
Old December 4, 2016, 06:07 PM   #20
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECTIFIER
Taurus has made advances over the last several years. I con't speak about their 9mm autos, as I only have a PT22 & it works fine.

I think it was Hitchkok45 who mentioned the PT111 G2 trigger breaks too far back to get accurate shots.
I don't recall whether that PT111 was the PRO model or not. The PRO model is supposed to be a DA/SA trigger and I'd imagine the break of the SA trigger can't be too objectionable. Keep in mind, Hickok is one of Goliath's descendants and he complains about a lot of handguns with triggers that break too far back.
Old December 4, 2016, 07:07 PM   #21
jetinteriorguy

I picked mine up about six months ago and have put about 500 rounds through it. I've had definite issues with it. But all these issues have been caused by my handloads. It has a fairly tight chamber which required me to go to an under sizing die. Now as long as I use this die, watch COAL and use a pretty good crimp the reliability has been 100%. Then there is accuracy. The sights are so so and the trigger takes some real getting used to. Now that I'm used to it, it's great at five yards but does open up some at seven, and is barely on the paper at ten. But I'm ok with this since it's a carry gun for SD. now for the real disappointment, I forgot my bore light and didn't check the bore when I bought it(DUH), there is about an 1"-1 1/2" bit at the beginning of the bore where the cutter was chattering, and about 1/2" at the muzzle where the grooves are pitted. For now I'm just going to keep shooting it to see if my accuracy improves, if another 500 rounds doesn't do it I'll send it in for a replacement barrel. But still, all in all I really like this gun and it will be a keeper one way or another.
Old December 4, 2016, 07:35 PM   #22
Jbar4Ranch

Taurus makes a horrible revolver, but a decent auto.

I was Gun Room Manager at Sportsman's Warehouse for a few years, and I sent back more Taurus revolvers for warranty service than everything else we sold, COMBINED. I can only recall TWO autos being sent in for warranty service, and one of those was just a screw the customer couldn't get out and buggered up in the process.

MOST Taurus revolvers work, of course, or they'd be out of business, but there are far more warranty tickets on them than anything else I've ever seen. The Judge was the worst of the worst.

SASS 47015
Old December 4, 2016, 10:43 PM   #23
LockedBreech

What's the real consensus on the this gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
That's what I once thought because of all the trashing Taurus has gotten over the years. However, I traded a C9 Hi-Point to my neighbor for an old Taurus 38 special revolver with a 4" barrel (we still don't know which one of us got cheated). Because the old 70s era revolver was still solid and accurate, I decided to take a chance and buy a new Taurus semi-automatic (I figured if the Hi-Point bashers were so wrong about Hi-Point, maybe they were also wrong about Taurus). My decision to buy another Taurus was not a mistake and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I'm glad you have had a good experience, but my Taurus opinion is based on personal observations, not Internet hate or chatter, most notably a Taurus revolver that locked up completely after 4 shots and a .45 that was probably the most shoddily built gun I've ever held.

Their designs are frequently good enough, just a high number of lemons slip through QC.

As to the Hi Point C9, I'll say my friend had one of those and it looked horrible but always ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 5, 2016, 12:08 AM   #24
joe sixgun

A PT111- G2 is my EDC. I trust my life to it. Never 1 problem from it and yes it has a respectable round count through it. Most of the haters out there have never even fired one.
Old December 6, 2016, 08:30 PM   #25
jaytothekizzay

I have experience with the G2 it is a very nice gun, good lookin too. Id say go for it. Cant beat it for the price

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk