The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 31, 2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Ian2005

Cimarron Evil Roy

For some reason I've been on cowboy kick lately and have been all over looking at anything old Colt style. While I was close to picking up an older Gen3 Colt, I just didn’t want to pony up that kind of cash for a gun and style I’m not sure I'd like. See, I've never owned anything old much less a revolver until now. I have the black plastic Glock, SIG, and H&K, so while I'll on a practical level I won't be changing my CHL piece, I will say that practice time with those is going to suffer as I have discovered a renewed love of shooting, -something old is new again. Five years ago I would have laughed at you if you told me I would own and enjoy shooting this type of gun... and while shooting my Glock or H&K is fun, there is just something so much more enjoyable and satisfying I have discovered about having to load each shell individually, fire and extract each round individually, getting dirty, the heat of the gun in your hand as you operate it in every way, the very large bullets your dropping into the cylinder click by click, and a completely manageable firing session due in part from the heft of this chuck of metal in your palms. While I'll keep one or two polymer auto's, I can definitly see me selling a few now for perhaps a similar model or start a Colt fund. I didn't mean to sound like a spokesperson here, but I just wanted to convey my new excitement for this 130 year old replica.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Mod...21-EvilRoy.htm --4.75", 45LC
Old January 31, 2011, 06:13 PM   #2
38 Super Fan

That's a good replica to have, SAs are lots of fun, outside of the Colt Python they're really the only revolvers I'm interested in.
Old January 31, 2011, 06:39 PM   #3
mdThanatos

The only thing I don't like is the Evil Roy part, he is a great shooter don't get me wrong but I think you could save a few dollars and get a regular model of SA from Uberti/EMF/Cimarron/whoever else is making them and have more options, such as bird's head grips, shorter barrels, bisley grips, ect... I love shooting single actions, 1875 Outlaws are a fun item too.
Old January 31, 2011, 07:18 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

The ER model is built for competition & fairly heavy use. It's not the same gun as a base model.
Denis
Old January 31, 2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Jim March

The Evil Roy has three things going for it:

1) It's the best gun Uberti is capable of making. Literally, it's their top shelf. Under their own brand name something similar is called an "El Patron", and they also sell a high-end variant to Taylor's (called a "Smoke Wagon").

2) Cimarron's QC reps in Italy do an inspection, weeding out any "birth defect" cases.

3) Once stateside Cimarron's gunsmiths go over the action, tune it up, replace all springs with US-made.

You can get something very, very similar by buying a Taylor Smokewagon off of Longhunter, a gunsmith/dealer who "pre-tunes" guns.

This is not to disrespect the Evil Roy. It's a superb gun. Mechanical fit and accuracy should be within shouting distance of a USFA Rodeo and it'll look a LOT better. The Rodeo will likely still outshoot it (moreso if it's been tuned up by Longhunter, he does those too). A Ruger NewVaq won't look as good as an Evil Roy/El Patron/Smokewagon but will look better than a Rodeo.

I have no idea whether the average Evil Roy will outshoot the average out-of-the-box New Vaquero. Probably will.

My preference would still be for a NewVaq because I actually like the transfer bar safety and six-up carry, and I like how easy it is to modify Rugers...hammer/gripframe/etc. swaps are easy as is homebrew action work .
Old January 20, 2017, 02:24 AM   #6
jimku

Taylor's Ranch Hand

I know this is a very old thread, but there are several guns from Taylor's that are equal to the Cimarron Evil Roy. I was seriously interested in the Evil Roy, but I really wanted one with a brass trigger guard and back strap. I found that in the Taylor's Ranch Hand Deluxe. The Deluxe version of the Taylor's Ranch Hand is super-tuned right out of the box just like the Evil Roy and has a square-bottomed rear sight notch like the Evil Roy. The one I got is tuned/timed like a swiss watch, smooth as silk, with a trigger pull I would guess is about 2 lbs and zero creep or grit ... it has a very clean break. Bluing is absolutely stunning and case hardening has nice color. Cost is virtually the same as a Cimarron Evil Roy.
Old January 20, 2017, 03:26 AM   #7
claydoctor

The Taylor Smoke Wagon and the Cimarron Evil Roy are suspiciously similar even down to the odd checkered walnut grips . I'm guessing they both receive stateside action jobs .
Old January 22, 2017, 05:15 PM   #8
Evan Thomas

Quote:
I know this is a very old thread...
And when you clicked on the "Reply" button, you saw a notice like this:

Reopening this, as with almost all old threads, is not "absolutely necessary." You are very welcome to start new threads here, jimku -- another time, please do so rather than reopening an old thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old-thread-warning.jpg (23.8 KB, 1500 views)

Tags
cimarron , evil roy , pistol