The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 5, 2009, 05:44 PM   #1
msille

Traditions .44 black powder handgun

I have one of these. The handbook says not to load more than 15 grains of powder. Also says there should only be 1mm room left after loading. Try 1/2 inch. Anybody know about these that can help me?

It is an 1851, bought at scheels. Some vidoes on the net show guys loading up to 30 grains. Not sure of the make though

Last edited by msille; January 5, 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Forgot some things
Old January 5, 2009, 06:13 PM   #2
simonkenton

I have a Traditions .44, bought 4 years ago, it is a Pietta.
I shoot 28 grains, no problems. I don't know why they would say 15 grains in the brochure.
Old January 5, 2009, 07:27 PM   #3
mykeal

Make or manufacturer does not matter. A steel framed replica revolver can safely shoot all the powder you can stuff in the chamber under the ball.

Pietta's 15 grain recommendation is a mystery. Perhaps it's some kind of Italian grain.
Old January 5, 2009, 07:56 PM   #4
kirpi97

The 15 grain recommendation is like the Scouts restricting the grains of powder to 1/2 the caliber. It is a safety concern born out by law suits. This protects them should you have an accident. In the world we have forged today is is called liability.

As for me, the first shoot taken with each new revolver (.36 or .44) is about 22-25 grains. It is my safety cushion. After that, Katie bar the door. I have been known to load her up and see what she can do.

But when it comes to the Scouts and others, I rarely go above 22 grains in the revolvers. As for the rifle, I can't see putting 25 grains in my .50 cal. So I may fudge that.

But what I have learned over the years, fire what you feel comfortable with. You are the fool pulling the trigger.

Last edited by kirpi97; January 5, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old January 5, 2009, 09:12 PM   #5
msille

Thankyou so much for your help. Much appreciated