The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 27, 2019, 03:13 AM   #1
TimW77

Looking for low powered scopes again!

As title says, I'm looking for scopes such as 1-4x, 1-6x and 1-8x...

Want to keep the price under $400 each and definitely under $500...

Specifically wondering how the Vortex Strife Eagle 1-6x and 1-8x compare to scopes such as the Bushnell, Althon, Leatherwood, SWFA or similar 1-4x, 1-6x or 1-8x scopes...

TW
Old October 27, 2019, 08:51 AM   #2
jmr40

I have the Vortex 1-6X on an AR. I like it well enough for what I use it for. The reticle isn't my favorite and I don't foresee any need for the illuminated reticle. But it is a good scope for the money.

Here is another that I like and have.

https://www.swfa.com/nikon-1-4x24-m-....html?___SID=U

I don't think anything above 6X on the top end is needed and even 4X is enough.

Winston Churchill
Old October 27, 2019, 11:53 AM   #3
btmj

I have been using a Nikon Monarch 1-4x20 on an AR for about 10 years. It has a #4 German reticle, which was intended for use in up-close-and-personal big game hunting. as a tactical reticle, it works pretty good... big bold cross hairs which come onto target real fast. The scope has held up well, no malfunctions.

On 1X, it is similar in feel to my Eotech. it is not illuminated, but in normal to dim light, it is very similar in feel. Only in near darkness does the Eotech have a big advantage.

I think Nikon still makes something similar. It is my only Nikon scope, all my others are Leupold.
Old October 27, 2019, 05:08 PM   #4
pblanc

I have a Vortex 1-6x24 Strike Eagle. It is pretty good although I am not in love with it. The eye relief and eye box diameter could be more forgiving. If you forget to turn off the illuminated reticle, the battery will be dead in very short order. But the low power seems to be a true 1X or close enough to it that it can be used for both eyes open shooting. There is some fish-eye effect at 1X but not nearly as bad as with some cheaper LVPO scopes I have tried.

I also would personally avoid LVPO with a 24 mm diameter objective and a greater than 6X magnification. That is because of the very narrow eye box diameter that such scopes provide at maximum power. The exit pupil of an 8X scope with a 24 mm diameter objective cannot be greater than 3 mm in diameter and that is pretty darn narrow requiring very precise eye placement and alignment to achieve a full field of view. In dimmer light the diameter of your pupil is almost certainly going to be greater than 3 mm, so that very narrow eye box is going to be limiting light delivery to your eye even if your head is precisely aligned.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably look for a high-quality 1-4X24 LVPO with a true 1X low end. Such a scope provides an exit pupil of around 6 mm at maximum power which is much more reasonable.
Old October 27, 2019, 08:00 PM   #5
agtman

Hard to beat the very compact Weaver 1-3x, if you can find one.
Old October 28, 2019, 05:32 AM   #6
J.G. Terry

Leupold

How about Leupold 2x7's. They got them in several price ranges. I got a vintage 2x7 VX1 that has worked very well on a Tikka T3 in 338 Federal.
Old October 28, 2019, 11:32 AM   #7
bamaranger

small scopes

I'm a big fan of low powered variables and smallish scopes in general. It's not mentioned what firearm/chambering the OP intends to mount his scope on, or the combo's purpose, that might matter some. I have noticed in recent months that the interest in low powered variables has jumped tremendously, and I think that the reason is the proliferation of AR pattern rifles. Not so long ago, I could get a used 1-4x Leupold on ebay for about $200, tax and shipping included. Not so today. The Weaver 1-3x is available thru Natchez Shooter supply, I do not have any experience with that scope, but they sell for about $140.

In keeping with the concept of neat and tidy (and light) I do not really see the need for a 30mm tube on any of my rifles. I realize the optical advantages, but my experience is that I can see just fine with a 1" tube, thanks anyhow.

I'm currently running 3 small Leupolds, a pair of 1-4x, Vari-Xiic's, and one Vari-Xiii that is a 1.5-5x. The two 1-4x numbers are on moderate caliber carbines (.44 and 7.62x39) and have the chunky German #1 reticle installed by Leupold. The 1.5-5x with a heavy duplex was on my AR carbine, but I pulled it off and screwed it on a turkey shotgun and ended up liking the application so much it probably will remain there (see below). The heavy duplex and works on the shotgun, I really didn't care for it on the .223 carbine anyhow as it was too coarse for precision shooting to suit me. I am in the market for another small tube Leupold, but am astounded by the prices they are bringing, used, on ebay.

Leupold has a new line of scopes called the "Freedom" series that go for about $200 bucks for a 1.5-5x. The "hog plex" is a little busy for me, but they come in duplex as well. There is also the Leupold 2.5x fixed power scope, either an older M8 or the newer FX lines. They are truly tiny and tough and sell for $275 or so and I have thought about putting that on a turkey shotgun. I'd send the 1-5x back to Leupold for a fine duplex and put it back on the carbine in that case.
Old October 28, 2019, 07:03 PM   #8
btmj

Quote:
How about Leupold 2x7's
I put a Leupold 2.5-8X36 on my Kimber white-tail deer rifle. I really like that scope. It is very light weight. Excellent clarity and low-level light performance. I think it would make an excellent AR scope.
Old October 29, 2019, 06:53 AM   #9
precision_shooter

Little over your budget, but I’m a fan of the VXR 1.25-4x.
Buy once, cry once...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 29, 2019, 10:52 PM   #10
TimW77

Low powered scopes

"It's not mentioned what firearm/chambering the OP intends to mount his scope on, or the combo's purpose..."

Forgot to mention this...

Currently have Millett 1-4X scopes mounted on a Rem 1187 12g shotgun and a RRA AR-15 in .458 Socom plus a Valdada 1.1-4X on a RRA LAR-8 in .308Win...

New scopes would also go on AR type and NON AR type rifles...

Cartridges would be a pair in .223WYLDE, a 6.5X38mm Grendel and AR-10 TYPE rifles, one each in .308Win and 6.5 Creedmore plus a Custom Savage in 6.5 Creedmore...

Uses depend on the cartridge but ALL used for target shooting (currently limited to 385 yards) and want to get back into hunting (mostly deer of course, maybe hogs) and varmint shooting up to coyotes...

TW

Last edited by TimW77; October 30, 2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old October 29, 2019, 11:47 PM   #11
bamaranger

flat

Those are some serious cartridges, with considerable reach! Here I was thinking you were scoping a .22, an AK or Winchester/Marlin carbine!!!

For cartridges with legs that long, the sky's the limit on magnification. Maybe a 2-7x, or 2-8x minimally. Leupold at one time sold a compact 3-9x that qualifies as small(ish) as well. A conventional 3-9x40mm would not be out of place on those rifles either.
Old October 30, 2019, 12:08 AM   #12
MTT TL

I put a cheap Barska X2 on my 11/87 and have zero complaints. It is 2-3 MOA with slugs which is more than enough.
Old October 30, 2019, 04:59 AM   #13
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
I'm a big fan of low powered variables and smallish scopes in general. It's not mentioned what firearm/chambering the OP intends to mount his scope on, or the combo's purpose, that might matter some. I have noticed in recent months that the interest in low powered variables has jumped tremendously, and I think that the reason is the proliferation of AR pattern rifles. Not so long ago, I could get a used 1-4x Leupold on ebay for about $200, tax and shipping included. Not so today. The Weaver 1-3x is available thru Natchez Shooter supply, I do not have any experience with that scope, but they sell for about $140.

In keeping with the concept of neat and tidy (and light) I do not really see the need for a 30mm tube on any of my rifles. I realize the optical advantages, but my experience is that I can see just fine with a 1" tube, thanks anyhow.

I'm currently running 3 small Leupolds, a pair of 1-4x, Vari-Xiic's, and one Vari-Xiii that is a 1.5-5x. The two 1-4x numbers are on moderate caliber carbines (.44 and 7.62x39) and have the chunky German #1 reticle installed by Leupold. The 1.5-5x with a heavy duplex was on my AR carbine, but I pulled it off and screwed it on a turkey shotgun and ended up liking the application so much it probably will remain there (see below). The heavy duplex and works on the shotgun, I really didn't care for it on the .223 carbine anyhow as it was too coarse for precision shooting to suit me. I am in the market for another small tube Leupold, but am astounded by the prices they are bringing, used, on ebay.

Leupold has a new line of scopes called the "Freedom" series that go for about $200 bucks for a 1.5-5x. The "hog plex" is a little busy for me, but they come in duplex as well. There is also the Leupold 2.5x fixed power scope, either an older M8 or the newer FX lines. They are truly tiny and tough and sell for $275 or so and I have thought about putting that on a turkey shotgun. I'd send the 1-5x back to Leupold for a fine duplex and put it back on the carbine in that case.
I mounted the 2.5X20 Ultralight FXII on a lightweight custom MK 10 30-06.

In Burris 2 pc rings, two pc bases. It is my favorite deer rifle. The best feature of this scope is the long eye relief, about 5 inches. Very quick to shoulder. It is about the lightest conventional glass you can mount on a bush rifle at about 6.5 ounces.

It has the wide duplex which allows fairly long range work as well. May not be a favorite bush reticle but gets the job done.
Old October 30, 2019, 07:13 AM   #14
Picher

I'm not afraid of a little power in my scopes, viewing a 1X scope as "just a window with a reticle", I normally have a 3-9X scope on my rifles; however, I've been shooting rifles with scopes for about a "thousand" years and ran 36x survey transits for years, both in the woods and open areas, so can't be considered a "typical" scope user.

I started hunting with a 2.5X Weaver K scope on my .30-06 and used that rig for several years, even for shooting woodchucks, often beyond 200 yards, but my vision was a bit sharper back then.

The 3-9x scopes I have on all my hunting rifles serve me well, but a 1-5X scope is a great rig for folks who aren't convinced that scopes are here to stay.

The 3-9x scopes rarely are on 9X, unless I need to spot antlers before shooting. When walking, I like a scope on the lowest power and sitting where I can see critters between 50 yards and 200 yards, it's often set about 4X-6X, depending on light conditions.

Bottom line recommendation is to get used to mounting and pointing an UNLOADED rifle at flying birds and other safe moving objects, like high-flying planes that are way out of the rifle's range. Learning to bring the scoped rifle up quickly takes a lot of practice, but it's well worth the effort...even worth changing the stock length, or comb height if necessary to have the rifle point naturally with a scope.

When fitting a scope to a rifle for customers, I have them try mounting the rifle quickly to see if they're comfortable with the eye relief/full scope field, or whether they need to crawl forward or pull back. It's important to check eye distance with the clothing normally worn when hunting/shooting.

(Sorry for the long reply.)
Old October 30, 2019, 10:13 AM   #15
Doyle

I've got a 2nd Leupold 2-8 on order that should be here on Friday. I love them.
Old November 19, 2019, 08:11 AM   #16
TimW77

Low powered scopes

Have found and ordered yesterday, a pair of scopes, both a Burris 1-4X with FFP and a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X...

Now some questions on less well known / newer scopes...

Shepherd 6-24X50 S Series DRS Sniper Series (dual reticle system)

Shepherd 1-8X34mm - Single reticle FFP

Shepherd BRS-1 5-25X56 Single reticle

Shepherd BRS-1 1-8X28 Single reticle

Salvo Series 1-4X24

Phantom FFP - 1-6X t1 and t2 reticle

I am very familiar with the Shepherd and its reticle (I already have 2 of them). Would prefer comments from people who ACTUALLY USED one and not just picked one up and thought it was "too busy" and think they are now experts!!!

TW
Old November 19, 2019, 07:09 PM   #17
wachtelhund1

Quote:
Hard to beat the very compact Weaver 1-3x, if you can find one.
I like small scopes and tried a Weaver 1-3x, terrible, terrible parallax. Got rid of it real quick.

Burris made a number of models called mini and compact scopes. These were great scopes and made in the USA, I have two of the Mini 4X scopes. I bought them used on EBay, but the prices have really increased.
Old November 19, 2019, 07:25 PM   #18
Picher

I'm very used to scopes, having worked a surveying transit in the woods, trying to spy plumb-bob strings or leveling rods with a 30X scope.

That said, a 3X-minimum scope is child's play for me, but I understand the problem. The other factor is having a rifle that is designed to be scoped, with a cheekpad that positions your eye...almost automatically and a scope with a low mount and exactly the right eye relief and set in the perfect position for very quick action.

Some rifles not designed for scoping, like Win 94s, make using them awkward and slow.

JP
Old November 19, 2019, 08:59 PM   #19
Panfisher

I like lower powered scopes, have a 1.5-4 on my AR and love the 2-7s, biggest pet peeve on most of them is the smaller objective size. I won't go smaller than 32mm.
Old November 21, 2019, 09:55 PM   #20
Saltydog235

To those advocating for Weaver or Nikon, Weaver is no more and Nikon is stopping scope production. Hate that a name like Weaver is going away. Nikon though, it’s about time they quit, guess having to replace 50% of what you sell over and over caught up. So, take that as you will but if something goes wrong, you have no recourse.

OP, look at the Trijicon Accupower series. Also EuroOptic has some low power Zeiss Conquests on sale in your range. The VX-R is another worth looking at. Burris XTR II is on sale in a lot of places for about your budget.
Old November 22, 2019, 10:43 AM   #21
the possum

I've never been a big fan of low powered scopes. I just recently purchased my very first scope that has a 1x setting, and only because it's also capable of 8x. It's a Vortex 1-8x Strike Eagle, and I like it overall so far, but it does suffer some distortion when set on 1x. I found it in a store for $300.

I wouldn't want to settle for a 1-4x or similar if I could get a1-8x in my price range.

If I thought I'd always keep it on 1x for close range, I'd probably just stick with iron sights. (And/or a shotgun!)
Old November 23, 2019, 07:36 PM   #22
Willie Lowman

I have a 1-8 Accupower. I have been very happy with it. I tend to use it most on 3 or 4 times magnification though.
Old November 24, 2019, 10:14 PM   #23
Saltydog235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lowman View Post
I have a 1-8 Accupower. I have been very happy with it. I tend to use it most on 3 or 4 times magnification though.
I also have the 1-8X28 Accupower o my 6.8spc “pistol” for hogs. That’s a great optic. Not in the OP’s budget though.
Old November 29, 2019, 09:43 AM   #24
TimW77

"For cartridges with legs that long, the sky's the limit on magnification."

No, it is NOT...

As post says, looking for a LOW POWERED scope!!!

"Leupold at one time sold a compact 3-9x that qualifies as small(ish) as well. A conventional 3-9x40mm would not be out of place on those rifles either."

You are mixing up LOW POWERED with SIZE...

Want 1X to 2X power on the low end...

Limit on the upper end would would depend on the specific cartridge / cartridge capabilities and the type of target...

TW
Old December 4, 2019, 06:28 PM   #25
Picher

Some rifles have mount spacing places that don't well coincide with the scope/mount configurations normally found on bolt-action rifles.

Mounts for some older military rifles are especially difficult to set up for optimal eye relief and cheek height. Bolt clearance of the eyepiece is often a problem.

Last edited by Picher; December 4, 2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Spelling