The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 11, 2019, 10:54 AM   #26
J.G. Terry

Well, I'm going to do the best I can. Thanksgiving. My nephew and his family are coming to stay with my sister for the holiday. My niece by marriage, a former non-gun person asked to go shooting with the family. This started my loading and scrounging cartridges. In this crew in two young grand nephews. All these folks showed an interest in shooting. Off we go to the range on that Friday. I do not have a black rifle but have an assortment of handguns and 22 rifles for everybody to shoot. Got ear plugs for everybody. I will not give the women, first time shooters, a 338 Magnum with scope for their first shooting experience.
Old November 11, 2019, 11:51 AM   #27
Don Fischer

I wonder about that. I wonder just how many gun owner's are willing to take up arms if something like that happened? I would like to think we all would but just will not know till it happens, that could be to late!
Old November 11, 2019, 11:56 AM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Got ear plugs for everybody.
Also make sure the shooter (and anyone else on the line with them) have safety glasses. And if you have any semi autos, make sure the ladies are not wearing low cut shirts! Scoop neck, or V neck or even regular button up worn open is a BAD idea. Take an XXL t-shirt or two for them to put on over anything they can't button up.

Nothing impresses a beginner like sensitive spots being burned by hot brass!
Old November 11, 2019, 12:05 PM   #29
4V50 Gary
Staff

For my part, I've taught quite a number of people to shoot for free. But back then, we had ranges in the SF Bay Area.

I think the following are still open:

San Leandro Optimist Club
Coyote Point (San Mateo County)
Palo Alto (or something like that down the Peninsula)
Livermore Rod & Gun
Richmond Range
United Sportsman (Contra Costa County)

There's one in Marin County but I forgot its name.

Ranges we lost:

Pacific Rod & Gun (in Pacifica and at Lake Merced in San Francisco; so that's two)
Bullseye (South San Francisco)
Mare Island Naval Base (made into a golf course)
Sheriff's range in San Bruno (popo only)
Presidio Army indoor range (popo only)
Chabot Gun Club
Old November 11, 2019, 02:36 PM   #30
bamaranger

"prior WWI few had seen firearms I......none (firearms) in cities"

Hogwash! Both my grandfathers, my great uncle, all men of that era, had multiple firearms, hunted, and moved in circles of men that were just like them. Many states across the country, east and west had huge deer hunting traditions, businesses and schools closed for the opening day of deer season. Many small town and country folks hunted, for sport and small game to supplement the pot, and the population was far more rural than it is today Magazines were the medium of era, and there were lots of examples of hook & bullet publications catering to the sportsman. Consider all the big shooting names of that era that were young men in their prime, O'Conner, Keith, Askins (Sr.), Cooper and Ruger would have been in their teens (I think).

There were lots of folks who owned and were at ease and relatively competent with firearms in that era, percentage wise, I believe more so than today
Old November 11, 2019, 05:49 PM   #31
J.G. Terry

It may be different elsewhere but, down South you find an interesting connection. My folks were one or two generations from the farm. My Grandmother, my primary caretaker, was raised in South Alabama There was a strong tradition of hunting and firearm ownership. My first rifle was a Winchester 06 that was a family gun. Guns and hunting were part of life. We adapted to city living but retained many rural traditions. Two of my shooting cronies are one generation from from the farm. We see old Crescent arms singles and doubles worn out that were a necessary part of subsistence living-another hunting tradition down here. All three of us are senior citizens.

Added: Take a look at today's shooting magazines to find the real interest. It would appear that assault type firearms are where it's at.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; November 11, 2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old November 12, 2019, 01:46 AM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Added: Take a look at today's shooting magazines to find the real interest. It would appear that assault type firearms are where it's at.
while I hesitate to use the word "pander" there are magazines that feature the military style look alikes because they sell magazines. There are also magazines that do nothing but "old west" era firearms. You won't usually find issues on the magazine rack, I know there's a magazine that does nothing but high quality double shotguns.

A number of people will buy a magazine because it has a featured gun they'll never own but are curious about.

Car mags often have race cars on the cover, or high end sports cars, doesn't mean that's "where its at" for the majority of us, just something we like to look at and read about.
Old November 12, 2019, 08:46 AM   #33
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
JG Terry - that's sad. We should introduce the younger generation to hunting and shooting, but with the range closures, anti-2A propaganda, it's tough. We lost a lot of ranges in the SF Bay Area when I was there. Even retired cops have trouble getting to the range for LEOSA. 4H is good, but is it even feasible in a big city?
Yer in Colorado....many ranges all up and down the front range, many, many LGS'....in spite of the bad press CO gets(got an ear-full from 2 LGS people while visiting up here in Milwaukee)....really easy to find/buy lotsa guns, lotsa cheap ammo and for $20, visit any of a number of ranges. Even on Sunday. PLUS, at least 2, in National Forest, uncontrolled ranges close to Denver...

I just took a guy, born in Peru, to a range. Although in his late 60s, had never even held a gun...he had a great time, might even buy one..here in Colorado.

My son, gonna get his daughters into shooting in the next year or so...ages 6 and 8...easy, at least in Colorado.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 12, 2019, 01:16 PM   #34
7.62 man

Most of my shooting friends are into pistol shooting so riflemen they are not. They own rifles but don't shoot them regularly. I carried a gun in my truck rack at school until they kept getting stolen. I had a wooden one in there for a while trying to catch the guy that stole the first ones but no one bit on my trap.
I love shooting distance. There is no greater satisfaction than to let one fly & be able to lay the gun down to look at the distant gong before you hear it ring.
Old November 12, 2019, 05:36 PM   #35
shafter

Based on what I've seen I'd call us a nation of plinkers.
Old November 13, 2019, 02:46 PM   #36
rpseraph

Well... seems like a nation of riflemen would need a few things

1) Rifles (check, at least rifles per person, we're fine there)
2) Knowledge of how to operate a rifle (I would say a lot of people would fall in this category, between being raised, military service, hunters, etc.)
3) The ability to recognize evil and willingness to stand against it...

I think that we're losing #3, being slowed neutered. My 2 cents.
Don't just train your trigger finger... train how to use your medkit, train your mind with books, train your soul in church, train to be a better spouse, train to be a better parent. Be well-rounded, the world needs you to be.
Old November 13, 2019, 04:20 PM   #37
DaleA

FYI last time I was at my favorite indoor range I saw a group exercising a civilian AK at 7 yards.

I had fun doing my thing, they had fun so no harm no foul but I doubt 7 yard four inch groups qualifies you as a rifleman.

But like I said they were having fun and maybe just maybe when the next "assault weapons" ban comes around (and in MN it's quite possible it will) they might just see how absurd the thing is.
Old November 15, 2019, 09:10 PM   #38
TimRB

Riflemen

Tim
Old November 16, 2019, 10:07 AM   #39
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, if affordable, quality rifles are one of the categories, we are doing great there. Despite 30 years of inflation, you can buy a better quality AR15 cheaper than what I paid for my first budget AR. You’ve got rifles like the Ruger American that give you the ability to reach put to 1,000yds with the stock configuration for under $400 for the rifle. Then you’ve got glass like Vortex that can give you the entire package at under $1,000.
Old November 17, 2019, 01:17 PM   #40
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
A drive-by comment on another post prompted me to start this one. Townsend Whelen likely started this phrase in a publication in 1932. My question is, are we (the US) still a nation of rifleman?

No we do not have compulsory military service, aka the Swiss or the Israeli's. But we certainly have a lot of rifles and shooters. With our vast population and ease of acquiring a rifle, and our history of public hunting, do we still qualify?
We are a nation of weak, liberal, leftists.