The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 10, 2001, 01:16 PM   #1
EricM

need Redhawk holster suggestions

I need suggestions for a holster for my 5.5" barrel Redhawk. I've got a used DeSantis leather belt holster that just about fits the gun. However I'm looking for something with a better fit and for hiking, camping, etc. I was thinking of a shoulder holster, but I have no experience with those. An online search didn't turn up much for this gun except Uncle Mike's and Old World Leather.

What are folks using to carry a Redhawk? Any recommendations for a shoulder holster, especially one that doesn't cost a fortune?
Old September 11, 2001, 04:28 PM   #2
UK2TX

Hello EricM,

Hunter Holsters have some, this is a note I received from them when I asked about a 7.5" scoped Redhawk.

Regards,

UK2TX

We make a scoped revolver holster to fit the gun you have. It is available in a hip style or a bandoleer version.
This holster is now available through the Sportsman's Guide Co. Catalog. Their toll free number is 1-800-888-3006 and their wed address is www.sportsmansguide.com. Sorry, I don't have their stock number. But our style number is 68-100 for the hip version and 68-200 for the bandoleer version. You will need a size 5 to fit the Ruger you have. They will discount off of our retail price, which is $59.75 for the hip style and $79.75 for the bandoleer version. If you need additional information, please call me at 1-800-676-4868 and I will be happy to help you. We are adding you name to our next mailing list to send you a catalog.
Regard,
Debbie Taylor
Hunter Company
Westminster, CO
Old September 11, 2001, 11:04 PM   #3
EricM

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old September 12, 2001, 04:46 PM   #4
EricM

Update. I found a holster I like on the Sportsman's Guide website, which is made by COWS. However, it is available for the 7.5" & 9.5" barrel Redhawks only. They do have the same holster for a 6-6.5" barrel N-frame Smith. Would these guns (5.5" Redhawk & 6-6.5" N-frame Smith) be close enough in size to use this holster?

Here's a link.
Old September 12, 2001, 04:50 PM   #5
UK2TX

Hello EricM,

I noticed today that Academy Sports are now carry the Hunter leather belt holster which fit the Redhawk. They retail for for $17.

Regards,

UK2TX
Old September 12, 2001, 04:54 PM   #6
EricM

I'd rather have a shoulder style to carry this beast . I checked out the Smith website, and the 5" N-frame revolver appears to be closest in dimension to the 5.5" Redhawk.

Smith is 10.5" long and Ruger is 10.75" long. The 6.5" barrel Smith is 12" long overall. Maybe the holster will be just 1.25" longer than needed, but I can't be sure. I'll see if SG has a good return policy.