The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 13, 2017, 06:05 PM   #1
Rothdel

Double Action in 45 colt

So I'm looking at my collection the other day and I have a single action and double action in all the major revolver calibers and a couple non major ones except for 1. Not sure why but the lack of a double action 45 colt is now bugging the crap out of me. Ever since I figured out I'm missing it

I have the single action just need the double.

I'm leaning towards the Ruger Redhawk (I'm a Ruger guy) but curious who else makes a 45 colt I might be missing. If I'm not mistaken S&W makes one but I'm not a huge fan of the internal lock.

So other than the Red Hawk what should I be looking at? I am open to used revolvers if S&W made a prelock version. Any other makers out there?

I'm not interested in the Judge or Governor or revolvers chambered in .454 or .460 as a way to back in to the 45 colt.

This would be range/back up for hunting only. I have my carry revolvers figured out and not looking to add for that reason.
Old February 13, 2017, 06:20 PM   #2
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothdel
I am open to used revolvers if S&W made a prelock version.
They built quite a few different model variants in .45 Colt with no lock, but they weren't particularly popular, and with Smiths, this typically means they aren't cheap.

The most common models are the Model 25 (blue/nickel) and Model 625 (SS).

FWIW one potential consideration with .45 Colt Smiths is the reason why hot-rod "Ruger Only" loads earned that name—they should NOT be used in S&W N frame revolvers. This is not to say that an N frame S&W won't be durable when firing standard-pressure .45 Colt; it's just that the relatively thin cylinder walls of an N frame won't stand up to extra-high pressure. The N frame was literally designed around a .44-caliber cartridge, and boring the cylinder out to .45 caliber leaves less margin of safety.

OTOH the larger X frame Model 460XVR is another story, although you'll have to accept the lock.
Old February 13, 2017, 08:51 PM   #3
Sevens

Colt Anaconda in .45 Colt. I'm sure you can find a really affordable one! /sarcasm, as your heart will skip a beat
Old February 13, 2017, 09:04 PM   #4
gbclarkson

Taurus used to produce .45 colt revolvers in their ultralite line.
Old February 13, 2017, 09:14 PM   #5
robert1804

If short barrels and hot loads are not prime requirements, a current production S&W Model 25-15 Classic is really worth a look. It's surprisingly light and well balanced, plus the single and double action are quite good and much easier to tune to your preference than the Redhawk. The cylinder is throated for .451 and .452 bullets. Older pre-lock 25's and 625's sometimes have larger .454-ish throats which complicates ammo selection, accuracy and reloading. Mine is very accurate and a great range gun. All that being said, I'm considering adding a Blackhawk for fun and hotter loads.
Old February 14, 2017, 06:44 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I searched for over a decade to find my 4" S&W Model 25-5 in .45 Long, and I paid dearly when I did finally find it.

I could have had multiple versions with 6" barrels, but I didn't want a 6", I wanted a 4".

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 14, 2017, 10:55 AM   #7
vba

I have a Redhawk with 4.2" barrel in .45 Colt (not the convertible). It is just a joy to shoot. My load is 10 grains of Unique with a 255 grain hard cast bullet and the gun puts them right where I aim.

I highly recommend the Ruger Redhawk:

http://www.ruger.com/products/redhaw...eets/5027.html
Old February 14, 2017, 12:23 PM   #8
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

The Smith and Wesson Model 25 was chambered for 45 Colt and 45 ACP. They are not interchangeable, you got one or the other. So you have to be sure which one you are looking at. Far more were chambered for 45 ACP than 45 Colt.

Pretty much the same story with the Stainless version, the Model 625. You have to be sure which chambering you have.

I have lots of single action revolvers chambered for 45 Colt, mostly Rugers and Colts. For some reason I never had a desire for a double action revolver chambered for 45 Colt.

That changed a few years ago when I ran across this Colt New Service. Chambered for 45 Colt, made in 1906. It is the only double action revolver I own chambered for the cartridge.

This is a really big gun, the biggest revolver I own. Look how it dwarfs a 44 Special S&W Triplelock.

Old February 14, 2017, 01:32 PM   #9
Rothdel

Driftwood those are gorgeous
Old February 14, 2017, 02:24 PM   #10
TruthTellers

If you're willing to spend big bucks, buy a S&W. If you want to shoot Ruger only .45 Colt loads that equal .44 Magnum, buy the Redhawk. If you don't want to spend a ton of money and don't care about shooting Ruger only loads, buy a Colt New Service.

I'm preferable to the Colt, it was a standard issue US military sidearm for a time and when I look at them, I'm instantly transported back 100+ years in time.
Old February 14, 2017, 10:34 PM   #11
TMD

Funny how S&W's lock bothers some folks but they never complain about Rugers hidden lock.
Old February 15, 2017, 12:18 PM   #12
jackmoser65

Quote:
Funny how S&W's lock bothers some folks but they never complain about Rugers hidden lock.
That might have something to do with Ruger's lock not only being HIDDEN but it also does not have a habit of locking itself. It has also been phased out.
Old February 15, 2017, 04:22 PM   #13
TMD

I'm not saying smiths lock don't have issues but it has never been a problem for me even in my .460mag
Old February 15, 2017, 06:50 PM   #14
Super Sneaky Steve

I have a Redhawk that is nice, but it's a big chunk o' steel.

My Taurus M450 is as practical as it gets.

Old February 16, 2017, 09:02 PM   #15
smee78

The new Redhawk that shoots 45Colt and 45acp is a good combination and a hard option to pass. To fix my DA 45Colt needs I got a S&W 625MG but that was before the new Redhawk came out. I also have an older Redhawk Hunter with a 7 1/2 barrel in 45C.

I guess an important question would be what barrel length were you thinking about?
Old February 17, 2017, 06:49 AM   #16
fourbore

If the OP just wants to fill a gap with something interesting, Colt made double action 45LC back in the day. The price is high for minty collector gun but a gun with a little honest wear wont cost as much as new super redhawk. In fact for SRC money you can get a darn nice example.

My choice would be the SRC in 454 which is basically just a 45LC with a very slightly longer chamber. Yea, its a big gun. Sounds like you have no real need here and a 454 really does bring the 45 to a higher level.

Here is one. They made a couple models: (edit, I did not see this was already mentioned)

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/9908784

I am not a big fan of any colt DA. So; I just pass this on for the OP's consideration. Just dont buy on line and confuse the Model 1917 in 45acp for a 45LC. This is one I would want to inspect closely regardless of caliber.

And, if we are going OT on S&W locks you can keep those. The only way I would consider a lock type S&W is the X frame. There we have no choice. The old Model 25 looks like a great gun. I did not mention that since I did see several recommendations for that already.

Last edited by fourbore; February 17, 2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old February 17, 2017, 07:58 AM   #17
Roughedge

Quote:
My Taurus M450 is as practical as it gets
I have the same gun, the bullets weigh as much as the gun.