The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 8, 2017, 02:03 PM   #26
75218ron

These are rare, and they came out in 1990 for the Dept. of State....commander hammer is to help keep gun secured with a holster strap.
Old February 8, 2017, 02:05 PM   #27
75218ron

I only have a flip phone with lousy camera. There are some pics of them somewhere on The Firing Line, I believe. https://www.gunsamerica.com/94862747...Test-Fired.htm The hammer is rounded with horizontal grooves on it. Since I don't carry it and I use it as one of my HD guns, I put a nice looking ivory colored Trausch grip on it to better fit my hand.

Last edited by 75218ron; February 8, 2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old February 8, 2017, 02:12 PM   #28
HighValleyRanch

Wow, very unique! THANKS! Learn something new every day!
Old February 14, 2017, 06:15 PM   #29
Tibult

I sold mine just recently to get a SD9VE for car gun and extra firepower instead. The ever increasing danger of riots and instability does not give me confidence that a 5 shot revolver will be effective enough against multiple aggressors. Whereas 16 shots and extra mags increases my odds of successful survival up by a significant amount. The revolver itself is a great gun and is fine to carry in less chaotic times and as a backup but its too large for pocket carry so no point keeping it. Only time now I will get a revolver is if I am planning on going to Alaska or out in Montana in the woods and it will be a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 magnum.
Old February 16, 2017, 08:52 PM   #30
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibult View Post
I sold mine just recently to get a SD9VE for car gun and extra firepower instead. The ever increasing danger of riots and instability does not give me confidence that a 5 shot revolver will be effective enough against multiple aggressors. Whereas 16 shots and extra mags increases my odds of successful survival up by a significant amount. The revolver itself is a great gun and is fine to carry in less chaotic times and as a backup but its too large for pocket carry so no point keeping it. Only time now I will get a revolver is if I am planning on going to Alaska or out in Montana in the woods and it will be a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 magnum.
Oddly enough, I made the exact opposite trade. I didn't like carrying the SD9VE because of the weight being in the grip, ruining the balance. I also prefer the power and versatility of the .357Mag round. And I live in a rural area, so wild animals are more of a danger than mobs. Most of all, I'm a revolver guy, and the SP-101 has been on my wish list for awhile. My main carry gun is a LC9, but I'm looking forward to adding the SP-101 to my carry rotation.
Old February 17, 2017, 01:49 AM   #31
Tibult

Quote:
Oddly enough, I made the exact opposite trade. I didn't like carrying the SD9VE because of the weight being in the grip, ruining the balance. I also prefer the power and versatility of the .357Mag round. And I live in a rural area, so wild animals are more of a danger than mobs. Most of all, I'm a revolver guy, and the SP-101 has been on my wish list for awhile. My main carry gun is a LC9, but I'm looking forward to adding the SP-101 to my carry rotation.
I personally love revolvers but since I live near urban areas they are a poor choice for main carry only ok as a backup and since SP101 is too big of a gun to put in my pocket or ankle carry it has been replaced even a Glock 42/43 is a better choice since you get 6+1 shots and reloading is quicker than any revolver. SP101 is a great revolver for iwb carry and if you live in rural areas that is where it makes sense to me.
Old February 17, 2017, 05:12 AM   #32
75218ron

You would be surprised how fast you can load 5 rounds into an SP 101 using Bianchi speed strips with a little practice. They carry flat in your pocket. This day and time, though, the bad guy will probably have a high capacity semi. That would be something you would need to consider. Seconds do count, so make certain that your semi is reliable with proper ammo, and hope for the best if you have to use it.

Last edited by 75218ron; February 17, 2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old February 17, 2017, 06:47 AM   #33
seeker_two

Y'all have valid points. One thing I do wonder though.....just because you have 16+ rounds in your gun, does that mean you'll have time to fire all 16 rounds accurately? I wonder if anyone has looked at the time factor in a gunfight.....
Old February 17, 2017, 02:32 PM   #34
75218ron

Quote:
Y'all have valid points. One thing I do wonder though.....just because you have 16+ rounds in your gun, does that mean you'll have time to fire all 16 rounds accurately? I wonder if anyone has looked at the time factor in a gunfight.....
Old February 17, 2017, 03:16 PM   #35
smee78

I always loved the look of the commander hammers on the sp101, I wish they were available for the aftermarket. I did not know they were DAO so thanks for sharing.
Old February 17, 2017, 06:03 PM   #36
75218ron

Quote:
I always loved the look of the commander hammers on the sp101, I wish they were available for the aftermarket. I did not know they were DAO so thanks for sharing.
I do wish I had the option of using it single action, but it definitely is a snag free little snubby. I put a larger Trausch grip on it for better control and comfort. I would probably use a semi for concealed carry. I still haven't gotten a license yet.
Old February 18, 2017, 07:42 AM   #37
ak-kev

I enjoy mine also. Its in my carry rotation. It rides well in a Don Hume 721OT. I installed an XS Big Dot night sight and Badger boot grips.