The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 21, 2013, 04:19 PM   #76
ClydeFrog

.357MAGNUN....

Id like to view the Taurus USA video of the CEO remarks.
Im going to look into it.
As for the QC and customer service; I read a older TFL post where a member stated how a FFL holder/gun shop mgr had a brand new, unused Taurus firearm fall apart on him as he displayed it to a customer, .
I owned a used nickeled .38spl model 82 Taurus 4" barrel that had serious problems. The cylinder latch would stick & not close sometimes, . Not a great thing to carry on a 8/12 hour shift.
FWIW; my good friend in the Pittsburgh PA area owned a model 82 that broke.
He contacted Taurus USA in Miami Florida. The company sent him a brand new, unused model 66 stainless steel .357magnum revolver!

I bought a snub Ti model Protector in 2004 for CC/pocket carry. The barrel said; .357Magnun.
Im still looking for .357magnun ammunition Taurus....
Old September 21, 2013, 04:26 PM   #77
BuckRub

I'm sure everyone makes good and bad. Some make more bad than good and others the opposite. If you want to try to get a great piece and great customer service if the need ever arises you can't go wrong with Smith &Wesson or Glock.
Old September 21, 2013, 06:06 PM   #78
Ace_Breaker

Purchased 3, 3 breakages, 100% return to the factory rate. Remember folks you get what you pay for. I will never put the safety of my family in the hands of a Taurus.
Old September 21, 2013, 06:12 PM   #79
dwhite

Quote:
I have had a Taurus model 66, I bought this gun about 24 years ago and shot it quite a bit through the years with not a bobble of any kind. About 2 weeks ago it got where the cylinder wouldn't hardly open. I took the side plate off to see what the problem was. Well it was the bolt bent. I looked online and found for 25 dollars I then called Taurus to see if they'd make it right. Woman told me to send it in and that would've costed like 3 dollars and some change for FedEx but I wanted 300 dollars of insurance so it costed me like 11 dollars total. It took about 4 days to get to FL from TX and they fixed the gun in two days and the gun is in LA now and should be at my gate by Monday. So 1 1/2 weeks total with 11 dollars total on shipping. Wish they would have covered shipping but all in all I am very pleased.
BuckRub,

How did you send your gun back to Taurus for $11? FedEx and UPS both require overnight shipping of handguns which is going to cost $35 minimum without insurance.

All the Best,
D. White
Old September 21, 2013, 06:57 PM   #80
BuckRub

Dwhite- Not true at all. The woman on phone that works at Taurus said to send it regular at FedEx or Ups. That's what I did. 11 dollars as stated earlier. It took about 4 days. Repaired and Taurus woman told me that gun is repaired and will be back Monday. Will take 4 days again. So gk ahead and send your gun/s overnight if you want but don't have to.
Call Taurus and ask how you have to send a gun to them. I always assumed the same thing. Back about 10-12 years ago I had to send a smith and Wesson gun to them and they overnighted me a box and shipping label and it went overnight, maybe things changed. IDK. Call Taurus. 800-327-3776

Last edited by BuckRub; September 21, 2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old September 21, 2013, 09:42 PM   #81
pete2

What's wrong with Taurus? Their quality control stinks.
Old September 21, 2013, 10:03 PM   #82
BuckRub

I don't believe their guns are anywhere near premier, especially their automatics. My revolver is super accurate and their warranty dept last week and a half was great dealing with them and the whole experience.
I know I had a Browning that I bought about 9-10 years ago, had a piece wear out. Called Browning and they said gun (pistol) was over a year old and out of warranty that they would not warranty it over that time . You'd expect more from top notch guns and the price you pay for them. Want have to worry about me doing business with them again.
From now on I think If I ever want to buy another gun I'll call them and tell them I have one of their guns for five years that I need warranty and see how they respond.
Old September 22, 2013, 08:13 AM   #83
dwhite

Quote:
Dwhite- Not true at all. The woman on phone that works at Taurus said to send it regular at FedEx or Ups. That's what I did. 11 dollars as stated earlier. It took about 4 days. Repaired and Taurus woman told me that gun is repaired and will be back Monday. Will take 4 days again. So gk ahead and send your gun/s overnight if you want but don't have to.
Call Taurus and ask how you have to send a gun to them. I always assumed the same thing. Back about 10-12 years ago I had to send a smith and Wesson gun to them and they overnighted me a box and shipping label and it went overnight, maybe things changed. IDK. Call Taurus. 800-327-3776

http://compass.ups.com/AskTheExpertF...&srch_phr=guns

If you read the post from "Compass Guy" dated 6/18/2012 9:30:47 AM, they, a UPS employee, specifies handguns MUST be shipped overnight.

From the FedEX site below. See paragraph 5.

http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guid...roup=toggle-c1
Quote:
Firearms

1. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

2. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or

3. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

4. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.

5. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

6. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.

7. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.

8. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

9. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with
Just curious. If I can save myself a boat load of money shipping guns, I'd sure like to take advantage of it.

If they found a gun shipping in violation of their policy, I wonder what they would do.

All the Best,
D. White
Old September 22, 2013, 11:20 AM   #84
BuckRub

That article was from 2012. Call Taurus with that number. It probably changed.
Old September 22, 2013, 11:58 AM   #85
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
If you want to try to get a great piece and great customer service if the need ever arises you can't go wrong with Smith &Wesson or Glock.
Can definitely say S&W will. I know a guy that sent in an old Gen3 all metal framed S&W semi-auto when the frame cracked. Not the guns fault on that one.

Anyhow S&W informed him the gun was unrepairable and offered to replace it with an M&P. Reluctant, he took it.

I have no personal experience with GLock Customer service but a friend sent his Gen 4 back with the brass to face issue and it was one and done. Gun works perfect.

I know there have been complaints with the Ruger warranty but they rarely have issues as well and most usually fix the gun.

These are only three examples I know, but it makes the point well enough I guess.
Old September 22, 2013, 01:20 PM   #86
dwhite

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html

Current policy.

They will ship gun PARTS without restriction.

All the Best,
D. White
Old September 22, 2013, 02:44 PM   #87
Sarge

I just talked to the USP Store in Sedalia MO about a week ago, regarding the shipping of a shotgun barrel to have choke tubes installed. They told me they could not ship it because it wasn't in 'their contract' so I'd have to take it to a Hub, which is open 2 hours a day.
Old September 22, 2013, 03:04 PM   #88
BuckRub

Like I stated in other post, about 10 years ago I had to send in a S&W pistol they overnighted me a box and shipping label and it went overnight. This time the woman from Taurus said to send it regular shipping w/FedEx. I got my own box and carried it to a FedEx drop off in our small town in Texas. I paid shipping and it took 4 days. The man who received my box put the serial number on label so I had to get gun out of box to get serial number. He seen my gun and we talk all the time in town. Taurus sent it back in mail Thursday and Taurus said it'll be at my gate Monday.
Old September 22, 2013, 03:26 PM   #89
rickyrick

since this is such a long thread, I only read the original post and not the rest.

I've owned a Taurus 24/7 pro for almost six years and carried for a few. I do not carry it any longer just because I like carrying my Beretta.

This pistol has been problem free and tops many other name brand pistols. great ergonomics and fit and finish flawless. I had no intention of purchasing a Taurus at the time, but when handling it against all other pistols at the store that day and considering the price, I had no choice but to give it a try... I didn't regret my decision.

Am I lucky and just got a good pistol? who knows, but I am happy with the product...
Old September 22, 2013, 06:56 PM   #90
Sevens

dwhite, here's the deal.

Both UPS & FedEx have policies in place that require regular folks to ship handguns by Next Day Air or Overnight service only. Those are company policies and both companies enforce them.

However, they are -NOT- laws. As long as you are shipping to an FFL or manufacturer, you are not breaking any laws by shipping them as you please. Furthermore, manufacturers -and- FFL's ship through both FedEx and UPS using their cheapest levels of ground service. Daily.

If you choose to ship a handgun through UPS or FedEx using their cheapest level of service and simply not mentioning to them what's in the box, you can also ship at the lowest possible cost. If you should end up -LOSING- the package somehow, you will then have to work at being compensated for your loss, which I would imagine might be difficult when you attempt to describe what it was that went missing.

So you've got a risk, but it's not a legal one.

What's the cheapest, safest method for a "regular Joe" to ship a handgun?
Well, the best method is to sweet-talk the customer service agent at the gun manufacturer and get them to issue you a pre-paid label for shipment. This happens often, but it can be hit and miss. It would always be my first try, and maybe even my second.

The next best option? A good, small-shop FFL will often offer a shipping service where he packages up your handgun and ships it for you. An FFL can legally ship via USPS Priority, which will only cost him about $12. You can expect to pay $25-$30 for an FFL to perform this service for you.
Old September 22, 2013, 07:10 PM   #91
dwhite

I was aware overnight shipping wasn't law.

I've also heard of Hi-Point telling customers to ship ground and claim the
package contains "machine parts".

I've shipped through dealers. $25 seems about the norm. It's cheaper though
than the $50+ UPS and FedEx charge for overnight.

Had a friend years ago who used to ship lots of "questionably legal" stuff via USPS. He never got caught.

So really, you can ship anything most any way you like.

All the Best,
D. White
Old September 22, 2013, 07:12 PM   #92
thedudeabides

If I'm paying, I ship through my friendly local FFLs, who will send my guns for less than 20 bucks. I'm not about to write a 70-100 dollar check to UPS or FedEx.
Old September 23, 2013, 08:57 AM   #93
Skans

Quote:
Why not? Their designs are OK, their materials are fine.
No, I don't think Taurus's materials are "fine", and I think this is where problems arise. I don't think Taurus uses the same quality casting process as do manufacturers like Ruger. Cast parts CAN be great.....or they CAN be be iffy. Ruger is an example of a manufacture that makes excellent investment cast receivers and parts. I't not easy or cheap to make excellent quality investment cast parts.
Old September 23, 2013, 09:12 AM   #94
Babychief

Taurus

M.I.M. And cast = cavitation
Taurus has poor fit and finish
They are tacky with the billboard TAURUS lettering
Old September 23, 2013, 09:23 AM   #95
Mike Irwin
Staff

UPS was the first to initiate the overnight shipping policy on handguns.

It was primarily done because a number of thefts of handguns were perpetrated by UPS employees, IIRC one was a large, ongoing problem with the employee putting the guns directly into the crimestream.

In other words, their inability to properly vet their employees has resulted in their adopting company policies that cost us a lot more money.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 24, 2013, 01:36 PM   #96
James K
Member In Memoriam

Skans, are you sure Taurus uses castings? The last I knew their revolver and pistol frames and pistol slides were forged.

(Edited to add: That obviously doesn't apply to polymer frames.)

There is an idea that casting parts is cheaper, but it isn't much, if any, cheaper than forging on a per unit basis. Both forged and cast parts have to be finish machined the same way, though cast parts require somewhat less machining.

Where casting is better is in building and capital investment. Forges are big machines, cost a lot of money, take a lot of space, and are noisy and dangerous to be around. Investment casting is cleaner, with less investment (of money) required and has few environmental issues. A forging operation requires an industrial building; casting can be done in a strip mall (and sometimes is).

Jim

Last edited by James K; September 24, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old September 24, 2013, 03:53 PM   #97
Skans

Quote:
Skans, are you sure Taurus uses castings?
I don't know about their slides and frames, but the locking block on the PT series was definitely a cast part. Not a good casting either.
Old September 24, 2013, 04:06 PM   #98
Mystro

Unique guns like the Raging Bull in 454 was one of the big high water marks for Taurus. The affordable 454 Casull was non existent. The Judge is another. Once high quality manufactures started producing these calibers, the excitement of a Taurus is gone. Taurus seemed to build its reputation gambling on "the next big thing" and not on quality.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old September 24, 2013, 04:28 PM   #99
Mike Irwin
Staff

My only Taurus is a PT (or TP) 22. I got it about 15 years ago, and it has been a trooper.

Well over 2,000 rounds of Winchester Wildcat, and 0 failures to feed, 0 failures to fire, and 0 failures to extract with that ammunition.

CCI Blazer apparently had harder rims, because it often took 2 trigger pulls to set off the cartridge.

That was solved by going back to Wildcat.

That gun is so reliable that I have no issues at all carrying it and knowing that if I need it to work, it will work.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 24, 2013, 07:25 PM   #100
James K
Member In Memoriam

"... the locking block on the PT series was definitely a cast part. Not a good casting either." And not just Taurus.

Beretta had a big problem with M9 locking blocks breaking and I think theirs were milled from stock. There was a problem with the heat treatment in the U.S. guns for a while and the military was very unhappy.

Jim