The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2011, 05:14 PM   #1
marlinm60ss123

federal shotshell reloading

Hey i just recently bought a few boxes of federals steel game and target 12 gauge ammo. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/688...shot-box-of-25
Is this stuff reloadable? What equivilent of lead should i use to replace the steel?
Could i reload it with buckshot? Thanks.
Old December 29, 2011, 05:45 PM   #2
oneounceload

You will need to follow whatever recipes for reloading them with the proper wads, powder and primers
Old December 29, 2011, 05:48 PM   #3
BigJimP

yes, they're reloadable ...but you won't get much life out of that hull ...or like you would out of the Federal Gold Medal plastic hulls.

The shells you bought are 2 3/4" ....and loaded with one ounce of shot...you need to find a recipe ...like in Hodgdon's online loading manual ...for 2 3/4" Federal plastic hulls ...and then find the wad and primer and powder designated in the reloading manual specs ..and you should be fine.

High brass hulls ...present some other issues on re-sizing ...but it'll depend on the press you choose to use. Assuming you want to reload 12ga only ...I
'd suggest a press like a MEC Grabber ...or maybe a MEC 600 Jr model ...that will handle 2 3/4" and maybe some 3" hulls.

Here is a link to MEC so you can look at your options.

http://www.mecreloaders.com/ProductLine/Product.asp

Make sure you follow a published recipe ...on primers, wads and powder ...and follow it specifically / don't be an amateur chemist ...or you may regret it !!
Old December 29, 2011, 06:56 PM   #4
marlinm60ss123

thanks for the help. why couldnt i use something simple like a lee load all or something? also, i cant find the type of ammo i have. should i just use the gold medal recipes?
Old December 29, 2011, 07:44 PM   #5
BigJimP

I'd use the recipes for Federal plastic cases ...not Federal gold medal cases / one or the other may have some unique dimensions, internal tapers, etc .. and I'd also suggest you use the load specs from the powder company you intend to use to reload the cases. I don't have a lot of experience with Federal cases...in 12ga most of my buddies and I use / reload Remington STS or Remington Nitro hulls for general shotgun use.

I don't know much about the Lee Load all ...they may work / or they may be junk ...but sure, you can try one of them / or ask for input on them on this site. I've used versions of MEC loaders for shotshells off and on for 50yrs ...so I've stayed with what I know best.

90% or more of the guys that do a lot of shotgun shooting - use one of the MEC loaders....but if you're just looking to get into this to play with it a little ...maybe the Lee will work for you. Most of the reloading equipment out there these days from the big companies like MEC, Dillon, RCBS, Hornady are all good equipment / they just do things a little different. I know Lee is out there in the market ..as a low cost alternative ...but the MEC Jr is a low cost alternative as well, in my opinion - and I'll guarantee its a solid piece of equipment that will last a lifetime / and you can easily sell it if you don't want it down the road. There are also a lot of used loaders out there ...but like anything, you have to know what you're buying to make sure it works and all the parts are there. But at my local gunshows every month ...I see at least a dozen or more MEC loaders for sale...some old or obsolete models, some like the Jr, some of their higher end machines like the Grabber or the 9000 series.

I reload on the 9000 series MEC's these days ...but I shoot at least a few hundered shells a week or more...

Reloading is an interesting part / and fun part ...of the shooting hobby...hope you give it a try / but follow a recipe ....just don't be a "cowboy" about it - or you can get hurt / or damage a gun. Make sure whatever press you pick - resizes the brass base / or it may not cycle properly in pump or semi-auto shotguns -- and that gets really aggravating.
Old December 29, 2011, 07:54 PM   #6
marlinm60ss123

if i dont want to use shot, can i use a molded slug the weighs say an ounce, and use the formulas for an ounce
Old December 29, 2011, 07:56 PM   #7
oneounceload

Lee Load-alls are junk, but if you only intend to reload a box or two, cost wise that would work. Of course, if you are only loading a box or two, reloading is a waste of time and money.

A MEC Jr. (used) can be had for about 50-75 bucks and will turn out as good a shell as their progressive press.

Federal is a straight-wall type of hull, IIRC with a 2 piece base, and will take your typical straight-wall wad, like a Reifenhauser wad
Old December 29, 2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Eazmo

Quote:
if i don't want to use shot, can i use a molded slug the weighs say an ounce, and use the formulas for an ounce
NO
slug data is different, You must follow load recipes exactly with shot shell loading.
The Lyman shot shell loading manual has a really good section on identifying hulls, lots of photos with cutaways
Old December 30, 2011, 12:25 AM   #9
marlinm60ss123

does the same go for buckshot, or different size small shot?