The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 15, 2011, 04:47 AM   #1
Scarface925

Help! I need advice on what rifle should i buy.

I'm interested in buying my 1st rifle. I want a 5.56/.223 rifle. I've been interested in a few rifles the Ar-15, Sig 556, Scar, Acr and the Xcr. Money is not an issue, the only issue is it has to be California Complaint. I just want to get the Best rifle possible. If anyone has any knowledge on any of these guns your advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 15, 2011, 06:18 AM   #2
9-ball

First of all, this thread seems more in place at the rifle fora.

You'll have to specify you're requirements too.
Quote:
I just want to get the Best rifle possible
While a semi-auto carbine may be the best for IPSC or plinking, a bolt-action will be the best for accuracy. What is your intended use?
Old June 15, 2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Dwight55

Quote:
I'm interested in buying my 1st rifle. I want a 5.56/.223 rifle.
Given those two statements, I would very much suggest a Browning bolt action rifle (or perhaps a Sako or a Remington as an alternative). Stay away from the low end of bolt actions.

Why? First rifle means you need to learn trigger control, shot placement, etc. If you start on a bolt, you will do well with these, . . . can then graduate if you desire to an AR or similar one, . . . and will have a great bolt gun in the safe for those times you want to show off you and your rifle's abilities.

Just a few thoughts from an old codger who has been there.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old June 15, 2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Skans

I'd get either the FN SCAR or the Sig 556. Personally, I like the Sig 556, especially if you can retrofit the Sig 550 lower receiver to it. I don't know if this is something you can have in California.

I do know that AR's can be made California compliant.
Old June 15, 2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Scarface925

9-ball I'm new to this forum so I didn't really know where to post this at. The intended use would be for fun/personal defense/survivalist. I'm not new to shooting guns I've shot a couple Ar's, a bolt action rifle, a sks, shotguns, couple 22 rifles and plenty of hand guns. I just never owned one they were all my buddies.
Old June 15, 2011, 05:50 PM   #6
big al hunter

Depending on your budget you have many choices. The low end of the AR's is around $600 if you build it yourself. Not sure about California laws on that matter. But you can spend much more. The bolt action will shoot more accurately for half the cost to get the same accuracy out of an AR. My opinion is that a bolt is the best for a target gun and an AR is more fun. Personal defense is better left to handguns and shotguns. For the bolt guns Thompson Center has a couple good ones, the Icon and Venture. Remington 700. CZ has some very nice models. For AR's I like Rock River Arms and Daniel Defense.
Old June 15, 2011, 06:21 PM   #7
brian923

Savage makes amazing rifles that will not break the bank and are smokin accurate. I also have an AR in both .223 and 6.8 that are super accurate. The .223 will shoot 1/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards and the 6.8 shoots 5 shoot groups under 1/2" at the same distance. I paid 1100$ for the Ar in .223 and another 400$ for the 6.8. I dont think thats a lot of money for a rifle combo that shoots that good. I know thst there are Cali appropriate AR's availible, i just dont know all the requierments. Hope this helps, Brian.
Old June 16, 2011, 04:55 AM   #8
9-ball

Quote:
fun/personal defense/survivalist
fun is kind of a personal thing, some people (including me) will find more fun in taking a bolt action to it's limits, trying to shoot as accurate as possible, other people have fun in plinking with a semi-auto at schort range. For the other two criteria it's even:

personal defence: a semi-auto carbine would be the best. But a bolt-action may suit you well too. At SD ranges you really can't miss with any rifle, so if there aren't two assailants at once, the bolt action will do. And if there are multiple assailants, the overall survival chances are slim no matter what you're going to use. Only tactic seems to shoot from cover, so in this case a bolt-action would practically do the same.

survival: a bolt action wins hands down. The main traits of a survival rifle IMHO should be reliability, robustness and accuracy. In that order. Semi-auto rifles tend to require great amounts of care to function properly, including the most reliable long stroke gas piston designs. There are also a lot more parts that can break etc.

So if you really consider spending time in the wildlife with your rifle, go for a bolt-action all the way. Savage or the Howa 1500 are good and not too expensive rifles for example.

If you really want a semi-auto, I'd advise a Ruger Mini-14 for your intended use. AR types may be a little more accurate, but require care, and since you're probably not going into competitive shooting, the minor difference in accuracy is not that important.
Old June 16, 2011, 05:18 AM   #9
Master Blaster 2

The AR-15 is much better than the Ruger Mini-14. The aftermarket accessories are endless. Expecially CA requirements.
It would be a fun gun, looks good, and accurate when needed. U said Money was no issue.

http://shooterdude.info/category/ar-15-build/
Old June 16, 2011, 05:40 AM   #10
9-ball

Master Blaster 2,

The AR is a good platform for sport shooters in some disciplines, but you can not possibly argue that the need for maintenance makes it totally unsuitable if you don't have enough lubricants or time to clean the rifle. The Ruger Mini-14 provides easier cleaning and reliability under adverse conditions with it's long stroke piston.

Still, a bolt action scores better considering his intended use. Way more reliable and accurate then any semi-auto.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:09 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

From the standpoint of personal defense or home defense, ANY of the light'n'handy semi-auto rifles in .223 or 7.62x39 are as good as any other. Group size at 100 yards is completely irrelevant; minute of head or torso is what counts at common defense distances.

For paper punching and plinking, I'm of the general opinion that a bolt-action is the way to go.

IOW, two rifles, not just one.

And, since it's California, the state laws will control one's choice for a defensive rifle.