The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 15, 2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Don P

Latest on the possible open carry in Florida

This from the NRA-ILA three links worth a look and as usual many misleading statements by LE. See for your self and then decide.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqrLRePn8Js

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politic...-a-man/1162622

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/04/13/f...en-carry-bill/

With some luck this will pass. This was told to me by a Daytona Beach officer that performed this stop. At a traffic stop the driver leaned over to get to the glove box for his registration and insurance card while doing so the butt of his revolver became visible. He was yanked from the vehicle face down on the roadway at gun point. He had a CCW permit. In Florida we are not required to notify about CCW. Just some food for thought. Would one be drawn upon if his gun inadvertently became exposed and witnessed by LE.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 15, 2011, 10:15 AM   #2
spacecoast

Wow, I didn't realize LE could be so tough in "accidental exposure" cases. Hopefully the majority of LEOs don't share this attitude, which could be construed as borderline paranoia. I have no desire to carry openly, but think this law could definitely be helpful in some circumstances.
Old April 15, 2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
He spent 20 minutes at the witness stand at a recent meeting of the House Judiciary Committee, arguing in vain that it's dangerous to let people brandish loaded weapons in public.

Coats painted a scary scene of cops drawing their guns on people in public.

"Law enforcement is going to start drawing their weapons and challenging these individuals, and something bad may very well happen," Coats testified. "I just ask that you take that into consideration."
  • The sheriff obviously doesn't know the meaning of "brandish." Wearing a handgun in a holster -- or even tucked into your waistband, Mexican carry style -- is not "brandishing."
  • If police officers start drawing down on people who are simply wearing a gun in a holster, in accordance with the law, the police are going to go broke defending against a litany of charges, from false arrest to assault to deprivation of rights under color of law. If open carry is legal, there is NO justification whatsoever for a police officer to draw down on, or even speak to, an individual solely because he/she has a gun on his/her belt.
This sheriff needs a reality check.