The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 12, 2010, 11:51 AM   #1
jclayto

Dillon 650 and Federal Small Pistol Primers

Any issue between those two? I bought a box of Federal SPP and have had lots of trouble with primers getting stuck in both the pickup tube and the primer magazine on the press. I have triple checked and verified that I am using the small primer pickup tubes and magazine tube.
Old August 12, 2010, 12:12 PM   #2
McClintock

I don't have a 650, but I think the 650 and the 550 use the same primer delivery system, don't they?

If that's the case, I've ran several thousand Federal Small Pistol primers through the 550 with no issues.

Just a thought, could your primer tubes be dirty? Have you run a patch (Q-tip, etc.) through both the pickup tube and the tube that feeds the primer system? These can get gunked up on occasion.

Cheers!
McClintock
Old August 12, 2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Jim Thompson

CCI Primers

I understand that several years ago, Dillon didn't recommend using CCI primers because of their uniformity. The last time I talked to Dillon they told me that CCI primers were much more uniform and were not sticking in the primer tubes. I havn't ever heard anything bad about Federal primers.