The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 29, 2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Kyo

the range on a first date

Who thinks this is a bad, ok, or good idea? Anyone got experiences with it? Did it turn out ok? Did it turn out bad? Just curious here. I hate to admit it but I was actually thinking about asking someone to come with me. They showed interest, so I figured why not.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old August 29, 2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Sevens

I wouldn't do it... but only because I won't take any first-time or relatively new shooter to the range for their first time without a very clear, very specific rundown of instructions first, and that would take place in my home, with my firearms.

This would make for an altogether too serious, too structured and "too much guns" for a first date, IMO.

I certainly would discuss guns and shooting on any first date, to go ahead and save myself the time, hassle and energy with more dates in the future if I happened to be in the company of some anti-gun wank who would simply be a complete waste of my time.
Old August 29, 2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Women are so unpredi...... uh, blessedly different that I don't think the experience with one will help much with another.

Some women (like Tamara and Pax probably) might think it was great, others.... well, not so much.
Old August 29, 2009, 03:18 PM   #4
THEZACHARIAS

I would think it would depend on the person in question. With someone who is not terribly familiar with the concept, you might wait and make a saturday afternoon of it later on. If you happened to meet them on TFL on the other hand...
Old August 29, 2009, 03:23 PM   #5
zoomie

I think it's an OK idea. A girl at my church is a competitive skeet shooter - so we don't shoot skeet together. I think a date with 22s especially is a great idea. Putting her behind a 416 Rigby probably not so much. Teaching the rules doesn't have to be a mood-killing lecture.

Go to an OUTDOOR place, and try to find the most secluded part of the range or property to shoot. No, not for that. To minimize the noise. I'm a decently experienced shooter and I don't enjoy my time as much when I'm on a crowded, noisy line, especially an indoor range.

Also, take targets that do something. Cans, eggs, clays, water jugs, something that explodes, moves, jumps, cracks when hit. I've found new shooters (and old, for that matter) have more fun making something move than putting holes in paper.
Old August 29, 2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Lilorfnannie

I dunno, somehow the combination of relative strangers with guns and first dates make me a little nervous. I am quite married but hypothetically if someone asked me to go to the range on a first date I might be leery of it. I don't know that person after all, what if he seems nice but get him around guns and he decides to show off and "impress" me and behave like a testosterone-filled adolescent with no concept of muzzle safety, etc

Last edited by Lilorfnannie; August 29, 2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: grammar
Old August 29, 2009, 05:27 PM   #7
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. I dont think it could have been called a first date, but SWMBO often came and held the spotlight or drove the ute. She even 'enjoyed' the ute ride when the temp droped below freezing. She would sit between my mate and I and try to bet some body heat. That was 20 years ago, now I think she would prefer to stay indoors with a heater on.
Old August 29, 2009, 05:31 PM   #8
Alpha06

I would wait and get to know that person a little better.

A few dates later, after some instruction on safe firearm handling, plan a trip to the range on a nice sunny day.
Old August 29, 2009, 05:39 PM   #9
chemgirlie

While I've never gone on a first date to the range (I have gone on subsequent dates to the range though), I did get asked out at the range once. If you know for sure that she's into shooting before you ask, go for it. I wouldn't ask without knowing for sure that she's into it though.

Last edited by chemgirlie; August 29, 2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: I forgot the comma
Old August 29, 2009, 06:21 PM   #10
22-rimfire

I met my first wife when I was out shooting. She was with her husband. Time passes and they divorce. She calls me, lets go shooting some time. I still chuckle about that day. Maybe what convinced her to call me later was when I walked off to the side and "used the bathroom".... we were out in the woods.

My current wife dislikes guns. She understands that I like them and really doesn't have a problem with them as long as they aren't visible. She has notified me that she did not want me training the kids. That will change as time goes on, I think.
Old August 29, 2009, 06:31 PM   #11
MLeake

A previous post of mine from "A Funny Story" thread

Copied below:

I had just returned from some haze grey and underway time. I had just started dating a woman who was involved in marketing, and tended to dress for success; she also was frequently mistaken for Kelly Ripa, but that's only a factor for this story in that she liked to dress to look good, at all times.

I had done a previous tour in a more rural part of the PACNORWEST, and during that time had discovered a nice indoor/outdoor range up near Fairhaven, off exit 246. I mentioned this to the new ladyfriend, and she said, "I'd like to learn how to shoot."

So, the next day I drove to her place with the collection I had at the time, which was limited to a S&W 18 (my parents bought it in 1966; I have the original box, manual, and receipt...), a Beretta 92FS Centurion (sold to a friend last year) and a SIG P220. I showed her how to ensure each weapon was empty; showed her how to use the safety/decocker on the Beretta and the decocker on the SIG; went over and over the big 4 safety rules; showed her the differences in DA and SA in all three handguns; and had her dryfire the semi-autos. I also hammered home that if she had ANY malfunction at the range, just put the weapon on the swing-down loading table, muzzle downrange, and let me handle the problem; I didn't want her to experiment in a non-sterile environment quite yet.

Last thing I said before I took my handguns and went home was "wear something you can get dirty, preferably with a t-shirt under your shirt or jacket, and some flats. See you in the morning."

So I go to pick her up. She's in the short, black leather blazer that all the trendy Bellevue women were wearing that season; under that she's wearing a low-cut, teal silk camisole; tan dress pants; and high heels. When I asked her if she really wanted to wear that to the range, she gave me a look that implied I was crazy to have thought she'd dress down to go out in public. Ah, well...

We drive to the range, sign in, and go to the indoor area. I start her out with the .22, and show her a basic Weaver stance. She loads the revolver, gets set in her Weaver, and fires a round. She is startled by the bang and the (light) recoil, and she shrieks, and sets the revolver down on the table, muzzle down-range. Then she steps back a couple paces, eyes wide. I ask if she's ok. She calms herself, then picks up the revolver again, and proceeds to shoot. She's cool with the noise and kick now, and she's hitting the silhouette, which I have run out to around 5 yards so we can see where her rounds hit. Interestingly, she hits low, with most around the groin of the target. I've noticed this with a few women, and I can't help but wonder if it isn't intentional on some unconscious level...

Anyway, she gets very comfortable with the .22, and decides she wants to try the Beretta. First round fired, she gets a center hit; big smile. She decides to keep shooting the Beretta for a couple more magazines. So far so good. She then tries the P220, and hits the target, but decides she doesn't like the recoil of the .45. So, she goes back to the Beretta, which is now her favorite.

She's getting consistent torso hits on the target, which I've now moved back to 7 or 10 yards, when it happens: a casing lofts up more vertically than usual, and instead of going back behind her, it drops right down into the low-cut scoopneck of her camisole. The lady filled out a camisole in a very pleasing manner, so the casing had enough room to drop in and out of sight and reach. Her eyes go huge, and she bites off a startled yelp, but she has the presence of mind to set the Beretta down on the table, muzzle down-range, before she sets about retrieving the casing.

Meanwhile, I'm honestly thinking, "this is our third date; do I reach down her camisole and grab the hot brass, or will that get me slapped? what do I do now?" I'm sure my expression was quite stupefied... At the same time, the range master is trying so hard not to laugh that he is visibly biting his tongue, his eyes are bugging behind his glasses, his face is turning red, and his belly is shaking. My date is jumping around in high heels, somehow managing not to twist an ankle, squawking, and finally pulling out her camisole from her pants and fanning it back and forth until the casing drops to the floor.

She was a sport, and regained her composure almost instantly. I praised her for setting the weapon down as briefed, and sagely refrained from any "I told you so's" with regard to t-shirts and flats. The range master said nothing, but I couldn't tell if his tongue was bleeding...

My date then got back into her Weaver, picked up the Beretta, and resumed firing that mag, and then another. We left on a good note, and she kept her targets.

I ended up buying her a handgun for her birthday that summer. She selected a Beretta 92 Brigadier. She liked the feel of the Beretta, and she shot it well, but I think the two selling points on the Brigadier for her were: 1) reinforced slide added both safety and weight, good for controlling muzzle rise, and 2) (perhaps more importantly) she really liked the bright blue slide around the bright stainless barrel...

We're no longer together, but I do know she used that Brigadier successfully in two SD encounters later; once while we were still together, vs a guy who had followed her nearly 10 miles and across some mountains from an encounter where she'd intervened when he was choking his girlfriend in public (I was deployed; she was at the beach with some jarhead friends of ours; he was a complete stranger, aside from the beach encounter, but he and a friend of his apparently followed her to our house after she split off from the group, with retaliation in mind) - luckily, the guys didn't realize she had a Rott-Shepherd, who provided the initial deterrent - and then they didn't expect the cute little blonde to come up with a 9mm. The guy and his accomplice ran away, and were later found by the PD. Later, I heard a rumor that some biker friends of hers may have had a word with them after the PD sent them on their way.

In the second instance, after she and I had gone our separate ways - but were still in occasional contact, she managed to convince some would be ATM robbers to back away from her long enough for her to get her truck in gear and drive away.

So, we had some comedy, but it turned out well that day, and the training and the subsequent purchase of her own handgun turned out to have saved her from assault and possibly worse on at least two occasions.
Old August 29, 2009, 08:29 PM   #12
Wleoff

I took my future son-in-law to the range, when he asked me if he could marry my daughter. Afterwards, my daughter just wanted to know if I had a gun in my hands when he asked.
Old August 29, 2009, 08:53 PM   #13
Niisan2309

"I took my future son-in-law to the range, when he asked me if he could marry my daughter. Afterwards, my daughter just wanted to know if I had a gun in my hands when he asked."

Your son in law has more stones than I do...
Old August 29, 2009, 09:10 PM   #14
Wleoff

Your son in law has more stones than I do...

Yea, I figured that he really loved her to ask me at the range. He was a little nervous. They've been married ten years, last July, and have two beautiful grandkids... that is my grandkids.
Old August 29, 2009, 09:48 PM   #15
srt 10 jimbo

I took my daughter to the range and let her shoot my ruger single six with the 22wmr cylinder in it. She was a little wild her first few shots but then settled down and was shooting pretty good. Was a good experiance for both of us. I like to take someone out to the range who has not shot before, the thrill that gives them says it all.
Old August 29, 2009, 10:20 PM   #16
princess-bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULLANDCROSSBONES65
G'day. I dont think it could have been called a first date, but SWMBO often came and held the spotlight or drove the ute. She even 'enjoyed' the ute ride when the temp droped below freezing. She would sit between my mate and I and try to bet some body heat. That was 20 years ago, now I think she would prefer to stay indoors with a heater on.
What's that expression "if you can't beat them, join them"? How else was I gunna spend time with the object of my desire, if I didn't join in with 'the blokes' & their activities? Sandwiched or squashed between two honeys in the front of an old landcruiser ute was delicious & my idea of heaven! I chased him for 4 years before he showed any interest too, the mongrel!

I grew up in a small country town (pop. <600) & my Dad was in the Malicia in WWII & also grew up & later worked on a farm. As a teen I was taught how to use the slug gun, (to deter stray marauding dogs once they entered the back yard). In my late teens I was a member of an archery club & 3 times a year the archery club would get together with the gun club, rifle club & pistol club for a 'combined shoot' , so I was already familiar with firearms, though not real crazy about them. The guys all took real good care of me & said I had a good eye & was 'a natural' for my first time & I even managed to win a trophy ( mutter, grumble: stupid souffle dish!). As for motorbikes, I used to ride Dad's Honda 90 step through round & round the back yard all through my teens & when I was old enough to get my license, I bought a motorbike & I didn't have a car until I got married 8 years later. Every so often I need 'a fix' & have to borrow a friends bike so I can feel the wind in my face & I enjoy a ride.

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out who the hell 'SWMBO' is, I think he's referring to 'She Who Must Be Obeyed', which must be me! Wouldn't it be easier to put 'OH' for 'Other Half' or 'PB' for 'princess-bluey'???

Last edited by princess-bluey; August 29, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old August 29, 2009, 10:33 PM   #17
Skan21

I go for paintball on the first date. Paintball isn't exactly the range, but if she's not cool with guns, she'll let you know. That way you can drop it in gradually. Taking her straight to the range is probably not a good message to send. It smells a lot like "Crazy gun nut". Show a little class. Save it for the second date.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 30, 2009, 02:18 AM   #18
10-96

Ask the other person! Man, that ain't weird... that's effective communication. Besides, it's good to get all the politics and particulars out in the open early. You wouldn't wanna be anchored down to a tree huggin, tofu fartin, Obama fan would you?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 30, 2009, 07:56 AM   #19
dondavis3

It's a different approach.

You'll sure know how she feels about guns.

Errr how pretty is she?
Old August 30, 2009, 08:07 AM   #20
bggwind

Taking someone shooting for the first time as a "rookie" or "noobie" involves a lot of one-way information - from you to her. If handled improperly it could spell disaster, let alone some of the mentioned risk.

Something else to consider - if there's something she's really into - you should make the first date HER activity (cooking class, ballroom dancing, scrap-booking, etc :-) and then come back for the 2nd date with shooting. It shows you're willing to flex into her interests as well, if for no other reason than to get to know her better!
Old August 30, 2009, 08:36 AM   #21
dondavis3

ooohhh +1 bggwind

Much better answer.

Old August 30, 2009, 10:02 AM   #22
Sevens

Quote:
Errr how pretty is she?
I'd think this would depend quite a bit on the make, model, finish, barrel length and caliber of the handgun she's holding!
Old August 30, 2009, 10:19 AM   #23
Phoebe

It's a difficult place to talk or get acquainted. I'd save it for a 2nd date.
Old August 30, 2009, 12:50 PM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

I think there is too much of a risk of playing macho hero showing the little lady how to do this or that.

Also, if she outshoots you, you will sulk and be a little boy.

Take her to a scary movie and dinner.
Old August 30, 2009, 01:06 PM   #25
javabum

why would anyone make a first date a trip to the range....isint the whole idea of a first date to get to know that person.especially if you don't know their stance on guns.
wouldn't it be better to sit down to a nice meal and during conversation bring up the topic of guns and find out what type of person he/she is.

just my 2 pennies.

NRA Life member