The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 1, 2012, 05:30 PM   #26
zxcvbob

I think you need to find another gun owner who wants the stuff and sell/trade it to him. Or you can shoot 20 of the rounds you bought and keep the remaining 40 for carrying, and shoot regular ammo (like Winchester White Box) for practice.

You said LCP and LCR -- it's a LCP, right?
Old January 1, 2012, 05:31 PM   #27
Sheikyourbootie

+p in a .380? Isn't that like trying to put a spoiler on a Honda? In the end, it isn't a race-car...it's still just a Honda.
Old January 1, 2012, 05:33 PM   #28
zxcvbob

It's not just a .380, it's a .380 with a short barrel. (but the gun is so light it tries to rip your hand off when you shoot it )
Old January 1, 2012, 09:30 PM   #29
neffster

Sorry for the typo... I meant LCP (not LCR).

And I'm not a honda guy... I'd prefer a 2013 BE Nissan GTR with the factory carbon fiber spoiler... thanks.

Are local gun shops in the business to 'trade' ammo? Sorry for being so new to all of this.
Old January 1, 2012, 10:33 PM   #30
hangglider

What is the probability the LCP might actually blow up firing +p...maybe an infinitely small chance is still too much? I'm not taking any chances with mine.

Last night a guy in Cleveland TN was killed by his shotgun exploding when his buddy fired it celebrating the new year--though no technical reason was given.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:28 AM   #31
Clark

Generally +P means 10% extra pressure from 5% extra powder.

In 2011, I overloaded (5) 380 pistols and found three categories of case support with respect to powder charge; 123%, 162%, and 229%.

The two 123% powder charge wimps, were the LCP and P3AT, caused by their 0.290" feed ramp intrusions.
That would be ~ 4.6 pluses, we could round it off to +P++++.

So I am shooting 90 gr Gold dots at 1100 fps average from the LCP and P3AT.
I will let you know if any parts wear out.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 2, 2012, 05:37 AM   #32
smitty704

If you go to www.elsiepeaforum.com you will find lots of useful info on the LCP. On the site they say, NO, it is not a good idea and is very bad for your LCP. Do I have any experience shooting +p ammo through my LCP?? No, but this is what hear.

By the way, I bought an LCP 3weeks ago and I love it. I carry it everyday as my BUG, and is the most concealable pistol on earth. I have 200 flawless rounds though it so far with no issues what so ever. Great little pistol!
Mossberg Maverick 12g
Old January 2, 2012, 08:32 AM   #33
Clark

At that site, no posting about hot loads is allowed.
Not exactly a nation of competing ideas there.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 2, 2012, 09:45 AM   #34
Cascade1911

LCR or LCP

What do you have, a LCR (.38 special or .357 magnum revolver) or a LCP 380 semi auto pistol?

A LCR .38 allows for the use of +P ammunition.

Ah, see that was already addressed in page 2....never mind!
Old January 2, 2012, 07:43 PM   #35
Clark

Any internet poster should be allowed to confuse LCP with LCR at least three times.

How many have I got left?
Old January 2, 2012, 07:49 PM   #36
C0untZer0

The guy behind the counter at LGS mixed up LCP with LC9 and I didn't look closely at first and he even mixed me up!

He handed me the LCP and I said "Wow ! This is a thin little gun." I said "This seems smaller than the PM9..." Well ya... it was

Then I realized he had given me the 380 Auto...

Last edited by C0untZer0; January 2, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old January 2, 2012, 10:51 PM   #37
Cheapshooter

Interesting that an early post on this thread, from July 2009 said that it was in the manuals of the early models to not use +P ammo. Mine was bought 4 1/2 months after that post, and not only does it state no +P, it is printed red BOLD ALL CAPS TYPE!
Besides, 380+P is just some manufacturers advertising hype for their loads that are either over SAAMI pressure standards, or pushing the pressure to the limits.
If you think you need more than a standard SD load in a 380 will give you, ya shoulda bought a 9MM!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 2, 2012, 11:42 PM   #38
C0untZer0

^ A 9mm revolver maybe, but with the micro-matics / pocket nines you fall into the same problem. The design parameters are so tight with these ultra compact pistols they can't be designed to cycle everything from 115gr to 147gr.

Some of the micromatics won't cycle with the lighter weight or less powered rounds. Kimber recomends 124gr to 147gr.

Having owned a Colt Mustang I can say that going from a 95gr round traveling 955 fps to a 115gr traveling 1150 fps - it's a noticable step up.

A 9mm revolver could fire the Federal EFMJ 105gr rounds with a velocity of around 1060 fps - and which have often been compared to a 380 Auto round.

If your semi auto cycles the Federal 105 gr EFMJ - then congratulations, you've found yourself a light recoiling round to put in your 9mm semi auto.

Critics would say that you've turned your nine into an oversized 380 I suppose...

Last edited by C0untZer0; January 2, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old January 3, 2012, 12:01 AM   #39
Cheapshooter

I can't give any long term impressions of the Ruger LC9, but I have shot a friend of mine's. It functioned flawlessly with 115 gr. WWB ammo, and the recoil felt less to me than my LCP with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. He has never mentioned any failures with his, and I have one on my "short list" for this year.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 3, 2012, 01:17 AM   #40
C0untZer0

The Kahr PM9/CM9 and MK9 seem to eat everything from 115 to 147 but the R9, Kimber Solo, and DB9 dont.

The LC9 is a little bit larger than the Rohrbaughs and Kahrs.

I'm not sure any of the guns listed would fire a low power round like the 105gr EFMJ, but it's worth a try.

The CARR will also fire the 380 Auto...
Old January 3, 2012, 02:53 PM   #41
Clark

I really don't care what Ruger says in the handbook.
I can see the shape, thickness, and mass of the metal.
I will decide what my pistol can take.

I built a super insulated solar home with a 4,000 sq ft roof, on a mountain top, by hauling materials in a boat on a boat trailer pulled by Honda Civic that was rated for Zero pounds pulling capacity.

I modified and worked up to 35,000 psi 460 Rowland loads in a Patriot 45 that the manual said no +P ammo. The factory supported me with free parts and encouragement.

Air Force One has a 3,600 Watt flyback converter I designed. I can show you an number of books that say flybacks should never be more than 100 Watts.

What does it all mean?
There come a point where you must be a man, and stand up to fear mongering bs.