The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2009, 03:21 PM   #1
Maximus

New Brass

Ok, got a question is regards to loading up new Winchester brass, some say it's necessary to full length size new brass, others say its optional. What's the verdict?
Old March 13, 2009, 03:49 PM   #2
albsch

I size all new brass. This ensures that it is the proper fit and any slight deformities are removed. This also give me an opportunity to inspect each case. I size using a single stage press for the first timie also.
Old March 13, 2009, 04:25 PM   #3
jamaica

I too size new brass. FWIW
Old March 13, 2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Hunter04

Sizing new brass is always a good idea
Old March 13, 2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Flapjack23

I find that it removes all the dings and dents from transportation and storage, plus I get to inspect them.
Old March 13, 2009, 06:36 PM   #6
James R. Burke

I also resize new stuff no matter what it is. They are right you can get a real good look at it during that time.
Old March 13, 2009, 06:41 PM   #7
That'll Do

I resize new brass too.
Old March 13, 2009, 08:13 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Rifle brass, yes. (I essentially neck size. Not really a FL sizing.)

Pistols, no. I bell the mouth and load as needed.
Old March 13, 2009, 08:49 PM   #9
Inspector3711

I've done both. After finding out one lot didn't fit in my .25-06 I learned the hard way. Now I FL size all new brass.
Old March 13, 2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Sevens

It's silly not to size new brass. If it just happens to be out of spec, it'll cause you more grief later. If it's rifle brass and the case mouth is a little out of spec, maybe it doesn't hold your bullet properly... you won't find out until you've already primed it and charged it with powder. Or maybe the case is slightly large in size, or out of round... maybe it doesn't want to chamber without force. Now, instead of looking at a piece of charged and primed brass while at your bench, you are at the rifle range or (worse) in the field staring at a game animal. Maybe your rifle is tied up because of it, maybe not.

What if it's pistol brass? Perhaps it hasn't been sized to spec and you don't have all the bullet tension you need/expect. And when your pistol self-chucks the next round, maybe you get some bullet setback. You won't see it, it's already shucked in there, in the chamber. Pull the trigger and whatever your load was, the pressure has increased exponentially as there's less room inside the brass.

I'd size any brass. Size the new brass... and size any brass that you happen to buy in a lot of used brass. You never know which have been decapped with a universal decapper and not actually sized. But you WILL find out which ones fit that description... either later at the bench, or at the range.
Old March 14, 2009, 01:48 AM   #11
T. O'Heir

All new rifle brass must be checked for lenght, FL sized, trimmed to the same length, then chamfered and deburred.
Old March 14, 2009, 05:41 AM   #12
45Marlin carbine

when loading new brass for my 'good' stuff -i.e. hunting loads and serious target I use a flash hole de-bur tool also. you'll be surprised what comes out of there. just another minute of prep time.
Old March 14, 2009, 06:14 AM   #13
TheNatureBoy

Same here. I resize, deburr, chamffer as if the brass were fired.
Old March 15, 2009, 12:21 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
What if it's pistol brass? Perhaps it hasn't been sized to spec and you don't have all the bullet tension you need/expect. And when your pistol self-chucks the next round, maybe you get some bullet setback. You won't see it, it's already shucked in there, in the chamber...
I load patiently and carefully on a single stage press. If I notice a change in neck tension, I set the case aside. ...Having new pistol brass give me issues with neck tension.... is very, very rare.

It's still good advice to suggest sizing everything. For me, it's just wasted time.
Old March 15, 2009, 01:15 AM   #15
Jim243

All rifle brass (yes), pistol brass 38 spl 357 mag (yes) all other pistol new cases (no), once fired (yes) you have to to deprime them.